Scottish Independence (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

I beg to differ, especially if cameron gets his way with redrawing the political boundaries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Blair managed to win 3 elections in England on the spin, Labour can do it again. The PR disaster of overseeing the break-up of the union, and his attempts to mitigate it by offering grossly unjust bribes to the Scots (who are now suffering from arrogance of the highest order), will see him ousted by his own party. Tory meltdown will follow with the result that they will be all but sunk in 2015.

stupot07

Nice to wake up this morning still being British.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

Nice to wake up this morning still being British.

What a waste of time and money. That ridiculous sideshow must have cost a bloomin fortune!!

I think there should be some sort of punitive punishment and I would start by putting a tax on ginger people and cooking fat.

Colin1883

What a waste of time and money. That ridiculous sideshow must have cost a bloomin fortune!!

I think there should be some sort of punitive punishment and I would start by putting a tax on ginger people and cooking fat.

And smack, crack, and pot.... Sorry I meant rice crispies....

stupot07

Sounds like a plan.

It's going to take a long time to heal the division in Scotland now. There's some very nasty comments from yes voters on the bbc website already

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Sounds like a plan.

It's going to take a long time to heal the division in Scotland now. There's some very nasty comments from yes voters on the bbc website already

Leave them to fight it out amongst themselves. Should be a good night in Glasgow this Saturday! :slap:

Otis

Leave them to fight it out amongst themselves. Should be a good night in Glasgow this Saturday! :slap:

The other 2 laws that must be passed is for the new Arts and Culture Minister for Scotland to be The Krankies and a statutory requirement to be put in place whereby Gordon Strachan has to play Kevin Kyle up front for every Scotland international for the next 5 years.

Ashdown

It looked to me like a huge anti English rebellion by mainly spotty ginger kids and their uneducated parents in the crappier areas of the country. 45% is still a good whack of people but that vote was laced with protest for protest sake and racism.

Covstu

I think we all get similar treatment from London to be honest and they thought they could do it better. There was too much uncertainty around the economics that the SNP couldnt confidently explain. What this will do is give them more power which the Welsh and the Irish will expect parity then this will happen again in 10 years time.

Colonel Mustard

I think we all get similar treatment from London to be honest and they thought they could do it better. There was too much uncertainty around the economics that the SNP couldnt confidently explain. What this will do is give them more power which the Welsh and the Irish will expect parity then this will happen again in 10 years time.

Highly doubtful.

This was the moment for the nationalists. The conditions were as fertile as they will ever be.

The only sure thing the future holds for Scotland is diminishing oil. And the more that drips away, the more dependent they become on the rest of the UK.

Otis

Highly doubtful.

This was the moment for the nationalists. The conditions were as fertile as they will ever be.

The only sure thing the future holds for Scotland is diminishing oil. And the more that drips away, the more dependent they become on the rest of the UK.

It's going to drip away even quicker than we think if they keep deep frying Mars Bars.

Covstu

Highly doubtful.

I think it will, it all depends on what this additional 'power' looks like.

The oil wells are pretty stocked at present so it isnt going to run dry within the next few years, more like 40.

Colonel Mustard

I think it will, it all depends on what this additional 'power' looks like.

The oil wells are pretty stocked at present so it isnt going to run dry within the next few years, more like 40.

'Present' being the keyword.

The SNP earned a referendum in the 2012 Holyrood elections. Even if they maintained power in 2016, there would be no call for a referendum so soon after the last one. It's a timing and expense matter, sure, but primarily a democratic one: the majority of Scots voted to maintain the union. That must be respected. The issue cannot be revisited every couple of years. Salmond himself acknowledged it was a generational vote.

There were referendums on devolution in 97 and 79: 17–18 years apart each. So the question then becomes: what will the oil supply be like in a couple of decades? One has to couple that with the knowledge that the Scots' welfare bill will rise faster than the rest of the UK (ageing population). Then chuck in the possibility of more acceptable governments being in place, stronger devolved powers, etc.

Way too many ifs and buts to see Scottish independence in our lifetime.

Brighton Sky Blue

There are 2 things which distinguish Wales from Scotland-the latter currently has access to a lucrative natural resource and has far more land available to it. Even with a terribly co-ordinated No campaign and a Bullingdon Club PM No still won 55-45. Westminster can kick this into a non issue by making good on what it's promised, and in a few decades time the economic case will be a weaker one thanks to the declining importance of oil.

If there were a time for it to leave then this was it. I was set on voting No when the referendum was announced and that's how I ended up voting as there was no strong economic case for a Yes and I simply couldn't endorse nationalism particularly when they were using England as a scapegoat for Scottish problems. They missed the boat.

wingy

There are 2 things which distinguish Wales from Scotland-the latter currently has access to a lucrative natural resource and has far more land available to it. Even with a terribly co-ordinated No campaign and a Bullingdon Club PM No still won 55-45. Westminster can kick this into a non issue by making good on what it's promised, and in a few decades time the economic case will be a weaker one thanks to the declining importance of oil.

If there were a time for it to leave then this was it. I was set on voting No when the referendum was announced and that's how I ended up voting as there was no strong economic case for a Yes and I simply couldn't endorse nationalism particularly when they were using England as a scapegoat for Scottish problems. They missed the boat.

I seriously think Salmond was guilty of having a Kinnock moment last week.

Brighton Sky Blue

Don't think that was entirely misguided, his campaign had all the momentum for the last 2-3 weeks and there were Yes posters all over the place. This and Yes being more vocal generally led me to think he had a genuine chance. What most on his side failed to recognise though is that No was a lot more popular with the over '60s, a demographic that always turns out in strong number and will have much less social media presence. They came in under the radar and so gave a bigger No vote than polls had anticipated.

No surprise that those with the most life experience, and memories of a more united Britain, voted against nationalism.

Grendel

The interesting thing is the stance now taken by the Tories who sniff an opportunity. Ban Scottish MP's from voting on matters no longer relevant to them.

Bye bye labour.

wingy

The interesting thing is the stance now taken by the Tories who sniff an opportunity. Ban Scottish MP's from voting on matters no longer relevant to them.

Bye bye labour.

Let the treachery get under way ,backtracking,linking other Issues to the Timed agenda ,and all after Brown saved Camerons bacon .

Brighton Sky Blue

75% of those who voted "No" say they did so because they believed the lie that Scotland could no longer use the English Pound.

That was despite the fact that the Irish Free State continued to use the English Pound exclusively for six years after their own independence and for another fifty years after that alongside their own currency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_pound

Any justification for this statistic?

dutchman

Any justification for this statistic?

It was a post-referendum poll by Lord Ashcroft into the biggest reasons why people on both sides voted the way they did.

I thought I remembered Sky News reporting it as 75% but according to Lord Ashcroft's own website that should be 57%.

More than half (57 per cent) of No voters said the pound was one of the most important factors in their decision

http://www.conservativehome.com/pla...t-new-polling-how-scotland-voted-and-why.html

Brighton Sky Blue

It was a post-referendum poll by Lord Ashcroft into the biggest reasons why people on both sides voted the way they did.

I thought I remembered Sky News reporting it as 75% but according to Lord Ashcroft's own website that should be 57%.

http://www.conservativehome.com/pla...t-new-polling-how-scotland-voted-and-why.html

So it wasn't concerns about 'not being able to keep the pound' specifically. Had no bearing on my vote anyway but neither using it without a currency union, or using it with one but no political representation at Westminster, were as good as using it in the UK.

Covstu

Reading through some of the pages about the post-debate between the two parties. Really sad to see that two factions have been created 'the 45' and '55'. I read a thread about that the No voters cannot sing the national anthem anymore because they are not 'hearing' the lyrics and now have no right to sing it anymore.

This is getting ridiculous! I hope this dies down but I think we can expect this to be bubbling around for a while.

stupot07

Is lord Ashcroft still Non dom?

Brighton Sky Blue

Reading through some of the pages about the post-debate between the two parties. Really sad to see that two factions have been created 'the 45' and '55'. I read a thread about that the No voters cannot sing the national anthem anymore because they are not 'hearing' the lyrics and now have no right to sing it anymore.

This is getting ridiculous! I hope this dies down but I think we can expect this to be bubbling around for a while.

Fed up of the Yes voters taking the moral high ground as though everyone who voted No holds the working classes in contemptand loves David Cameron. The same people who call unionists traitors and Quislings for feck's sake.

stupot07

Fed up of the Yes voters taking the moral high ground as though everyone who voted No holds the working classes in contemptand loves David Cameron. The same people who call unionists traitors and Quislings for feck's sake.

I know, there's some disgusting comments on BBC that the country full of scared spineless jelly fish, etcs

Brighton Sky Blue

I know, there's some disgusting comments on BBC that the country full of scared spineless jelly fish, etcs

This was always going to happen with one side pushing nationalist rhetoric for years. If there's ever a referendum on the EU membership the British version will raise its head and I'll oppose it just as strongly.

dutchman

This was always going to happen with one side pushing nationalist rhetoric for years. If there's ever a referendum on the EU membership the British version will raise its head and I'll oppose it just as strongly.

It'll be a rerun of the Scottish referendum with celebrity billionaires forecasting Armageddon and financial institutions threatening to move their headquarters overseas if the UK dares to leave the EU.

Brighton Sky Blue

It'll be a rerun of the Scottish referendum with celebrity billionaires forecasting Armageddon and financial institutions threatening to move their headquarters overseas if the UK dares to leave the EU.

Nigel Farage accusing Ed Miliband of leading 'project fear' and failing to respect 'the sovereign will of the British people'. Can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread