Scottish Independence (1 Viewer)

bigfatronssba

Cameron and Milliband would both be dead men walking if Scotland goes. The only thing that will save them is its too close to the election to change leaders now. Conservatives would never forgive Cameron for overseeing the break up of the country, and Milliband would look very weak if he failed to have an impact in persuading his own voters to back his cause.

The way that fat toad (AS) twists things though is very annoying. In the last election proper up there Labour got 42%, the SNP got 20%, and the Conservatives got 17% of the vote. Now the fact he tries to portray the SNP as this great patriotic party that all the Scots love, and the Conservatives as the party of the oppressive English overloads, he didn't do very well did he? In fact he got trounced by a Labour party that was having a bad night.

The SNP were voted in to the Scottish Assembly purely as a protest vote, and he has been smart enough to stoke up nationalism to his own advantage. A great politician, but an utterly repulsive man.

wingy

Cameron and Milliband would both be dead men walking if Scotland goes. The only thing that will save them is its too close to the election to change leaders now. Conservatives would never forgive Cameron for overseeing the break up of the country, and Milliband would look very weak if he failed to have an impact in persuading his own voters to back his cause.

The way that fat toad (AS) twists things though is very annoying. In the last election proper up there Labour got 42%, the SNP got 20%, and the Conservatives got 17% of the vote. Now the fact he tries to portray the SNP as this great patriotic party that all the Scots love, and the Conservatives as the party of the oppressive English overloads, he didn't do very well did he? In fact he got trounced by a Labour party that was having a bad night.

The SNP were voted in to the Scottish Assembly purely as a protest vote, and he has been smart enough to stoke up nationalism to his own advantage. A great politician, but an utterly repulsive man.

did himself no Favours today /tonight ,showing no Class at all and sounding triumphalist ,Just like Kinnock.

bigfatronssba

did himself no Favours today /tonight ,showing no Class at all and sounding triumphalist ,Just like Kinnock.

Haven't seen the news today, what's he done?

Grendel

Alec Salmond is a limited and populist politician. He is, however, real evidence of the desperate state of politics in Britain. Whatever people thought of the likes of Thatcher, Major and Blair ven etc. they would have squashed him at the first post. Today's feeble leaders' show how desperate the state of politics now is. This grinning, limited little man can run rings round them. It is the same with the ludicrous if vaguely entertaining Farage. He exploits a weakness, has an ability to look like a man of the people and the Westminster Trio of buffoons have no answer. Whatever people think Thatcher would have squashed and humiliated Salmond in a second. Now we have to rely on Gordon Brown to come out of exile to save the Union.

Ashdown

Gordon Brown.................Oh God, that's the Scots gone then, to match the nations Gold he also gave away !

jimmyhillsfanclub

Interesting....I have read similar blogs that alluded to the fact that it was, in effect, a bank bail out....

...so if true, it shows Brown wasn't as clueless on this issue as has been painted (certainly clueless on many other issues mind) but it also raises a shit load more questions about the right of senior govt. figures to effectively manipulate financial markets for the gain of the banks....

not good either way is it?

Colonel Mustard

...so if true, it shows Brown wasn't as clueless on this issue as has been painted (certainly clueless on many other issues mind)

Brown had many faults. His brutal politicking within the Labour party for one. His disastrous PR for another. One could argue against his policies on ideological grounds.. But the media's eagerness to portray him as being an idiot is plain wrong. It is broadly acknowledged by politicians of all colours that he was one of the most intelligent people to walk the Commons, with a firm grasp on every detail of policy. I think it better to ask why Brown did X or Y, as whatever it was would have had an intellectual underpinning. Compare and contrast to Tony Blair, where PR was usually the no.1 factor.

but it also raises a shit load more questions about the right of senior govt. figures to effectively manipulate financial markets for the gain of the banks....not good either way is it?

It's not. He was operating under the old light-touch neo-liberal shitshow. Although it's still a thickly-interconnected world today, at least there are many more buffers and safeguards in place.

Brighton Sky Blue

Brown had many faults. His brutal politicking within the Labour party for one. His disastrous PR for another. One could argue against his policies on ideological grounds.. But the media's eagerness to portray him as being an idiot is plain wrong. It is broadly acknowledged by politicians of all colours that he was one of the most intelligent people to walk the Commons, with a firm grasp on every detail of policy. I think it better to ask why Brown did X or Y, as whatever it was would have had an intellectual underpinning. Compare and contrast to Tony Blair, where PR was usually the no.1 factor.

It's not. He was operating under the old light-touch neo-liberal shitshow. Although it's still a thickly-interconnected world today, at least there are many more buffers and safeguards in place.

Won't forget seeing a clip of him saying that if they'd known that Hussain had no WMDs in Iraq they'd have found some other reason to invade. All you need to know about the man in one sentence.

dutchman

Daily-cartoon-20140911.jpg

wingy

Well It's here ,I don't get It ,but I don't really care If It's their wish so be It.

It does expose certain levels of Hypocrisy though ,when weighed against the potential British withdrawal from the EU,or Ukraine joining the EU etc etc.

Brighton Sky Blue

Well It's here ,I don't get It ,but I don't really care If It's their wish so be It.

It does expose certain levels of Hypocrisy though ,when weighed against the potential British withdrawal from the EU,or Ukraine joining the EU etc etc.

Will proudly be voting No tomorrow. Salmond is no different to Farage just that he shouts Boo at London rather than Brussels. Same nationalist rhetoric attempting to divide people on the same island with false dichotomies.

Astute

The whole thing is a joke.

I have family in Scotland. None of them will be voting yes. A lot of it is to do with the hatred of the English. They expect apologies for what happened hundreds of years ago. Some of them hate the English as much as some Welsh people hate us. And for what?

They will need a lot of paddles if they get the yes vote. Banks will pull out. Shops based in England will charge more. Lots of jobs will be lost. For instance the UK only have their ships built in the UK. It is a major employer for the Scottish. They will have their oil and gas. But it is now a limited supply. And if fracking takes off it will devalue what they have left. They get free prescriptions and higher education. Let them raise the funds for it.

Their best bet would be to go with the Euro. Otherwise any currency they start would get devalued at the slightest problem. If they went with their own currency they could always call it the poond. At least they wouldn't have to change the way they say it.

Let them go if it is what they want. Just as long as those voting for it know that they can't vote to rejoin if it all goes wrong. It would be up to the rest of the UK to let them back in. But I can see the largest influx of immigrants coming from Scotland than anywhere else if it happens.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Dear Scotland,
Please don't leave. It's never worked out well for anyone.
.............. Well, except America.
.............. And Australia.
.............. And Canada.
.............. And Hong Kong.
.............. And India.

Er, .................. bollocks ............... never mind.

Otis

Dear Scotland,

This could be the thin end of the wedge. Scotland go and who knows, could be the Republic of Ireland wanting their independance next.

Brighton Sky Blue

Dear Scotland,

HH, colonies leaving the British Empire isn't quite the same as Scotland, a willing participant and beneficiary in the Empire, choosing to leave the UK.

lewys33

I love how the yes campaign is saying "don't miss out on this opportunity!" .......... errrrr ....... what opporunity is that then?

"Our economy is fucked, but at least we took the opportunity!"

stupot07

A Scottish Yes vote would be a disaster for the rest of the UK, wales will quickly join them, then England will be left with a life time of Tory governments, with little opposition,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Evo1883

Do it , extremely bored of the anti english propoganda from the yes campaign , despite the fact that over the last 20 or so years , a large number of scots have helped make extremely bad decisions in westminster .
whatever happens , scotland gets more powers than before , under 10% of the UK electorate and england , wales and ireland have had no say. Whilst WM have played a blinder in making scotland feel far more needed than it actually is.
so i say go ahead , vote yes and be gone

Last edited:

Covstu

A Scottish Yes vote would be a disaster for the rest of the UK, wales will quickly join them, then England will be left with a life time of Tory governments, with little opposition,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

No chance of Wales following suit, they know they do not have the industry or natural resources to leave. They would be totally fucked without Britain. The Yes vote is the easier option and i think people will be hoping that people will vote yes due to the 'nationalism' front but Salmon hasnt worked out the detail which will come and bite them on the ass.

Ashdown

The bookies are usually right on most things and they're supposed to be paying out on the 'No' vote already !

Brighton Sky Blue

Went along to vote at around half 8 this morning. Campaigners from both sides outside the polling station but pretty quiet and with no queues got it done in 5 minutes. My future probably isn't in Scotland in the long term but it felt great to be a part of such a historic event and hopefully my No vote contributes to the beginning of the end for division on these islands.

Ashdown

So just for my info:
Can Scots living in England or elsewhere vote ?
Can foreigners living in Scotland vote ?

Brighton Sky Blue

Don't agree with that at all.

Users who are viewing this thread