Season as a whole? (1 Viewer)

Macca

Should our decent form of late continue and we finish in a respectable position what will peoples opinion of the season overall be.

Much as I am enjoying the current football I can't get over that woeful slide which makes me look at the season as a poor one. I guess there are "what ifs" for either argument.

1/ Injuries to key players during critical months.
2/ Did we choose the wrong manager.
3/ Would we have played with such freedom over the last few weeks if the bottom 3 would have been breathing down our necks during that slump rather than letting us off the hook.

So where are we. Is this recent form just glossing over another disappointing year? Is it a positive sign for the new season? Should we just enjoy it before some of these players disappear?

No right or wrong answers but for me, overall, another disappointing year

ajsccfc

Looking at the season overall, it's more or less the identikit season we always have. Strong start, alarming fade. The little Thorn cameo at the end has added a little goodwill and optimism.

CovScott88

I think it's been a bit of both, good and bad. I have been very encouraged a some of our performances over the season, but horrified at others.
Yes, we aren't in a great position and we have had problems recently (apart from the last few weeks with AT), but for me, it's mostly been a 'what if' type of year. We are currently 12 points off the play-offs, and that has included us going 11 games without a win, and winning 1 in 18. I can't help but think that had we not had long-term injuries to key players like Ben Turner, James McPake and Lee Carsley, we would not have had that terrible slump. Even if we had an average run over those 18 games, say picking up another 9 points, we would be in touching distance of the top 6. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing though isn't it?!
If we keep AT and continue to play the way we have been, taking that form into next season, providing we can keep as many of our top players as possible, I can really see us having a good season next time out.

PUSB!!

rob9872

Overall disappointing but for those who say we had the wrong manager and are lauding over King, remember that it is unlikely we would have seen him had AB not been in charge.

The key and critical times among that winless run with injuries and suspensions were unfortunate, but papering over the cracks and despite believing AB was unlucky to lose his position, if we'd jumped sooner like other clubs have then who knows what we might have achieved.

Every year I keep thinking "next season could be ours", but I have genuine belief if we can somehow find some investment and keep AT/MK.

Macca

I think it's been a bit of both, good and bad. I have been very encouraged a some of our performances over the season, but horrified at others.
Yes, we aren't in a great position and we have had problems recently (apart from the last few weeks with AT), but for me, it's mostly been a 'what if' type of year. We are currently 12 points off the play-offs, and that has included us going 11 games without a win, and winning 1 in 18. I can't help but think that had we not had long-term injuries to key players like Ben Turner, James McPake and Lee Carsley, we would not have had that terrible slump. Even if we had an average run over those 18 games, say picking up another 9 points, we would be in touching distance of the top 6. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing though isn't it?!
If we keep AT and continue to play the way we have been, taking that form into next season, providing we can keep as many of our top players as possible, I can really see us having a good season next time out.

PUSB!!

fair reply and I think your last "if" is the biggy!

Macca

Overall disappointing but for those who say we had the wrong manager and are lauding over King, remember that it is unlikely we would have seen him had AB not been in charge.

The key and critical times among that winless run with injuries and suspensions were unfortunate, but papering over the cracks and despite believing AB was unlucky to lose his position, if we'd jumped sooner like other clubs have then who knows what we might have achieved.

Every year I keep thinking "next season could be ours", but I have genuine belief if we can somehow find some investment and keep AT/MK.

I guess it will be off the field issues that decide it because on the flip side, if we do the usual ( sell best players, don't invest enough, appoint "name" manager to sort it) it will be more of the same

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
Ive looked at our league position last few years and we always do the same, this season holds alot of what ifs but at this stage now and with westwood going poissible king i just dont know about next eseason either. For me AT has really turned things around but for how long we always seem to do this go on a small good run then lose loads and it costs us all the time. For me im just going to take it one week at a time next season and not get my hopes up ;)

kg82

Well, this season has been exactly like the last 2-3 seasons and I've counted them all as failures. The bright spots have been MK and Thorn and the likelihood is we'll lose MK and there's still a chance Thorn won't be appointed. The summer's going to be interesting, that's for sure.

ajsccfc

Assuming the eight games Thorn has to work in as some kind of trial, he's got to be passing it on current form. We could always capitulate and lose the rest of course, but continuing on the same form has surely got to seal the job for him.

Pigeon

Good or bad you can't deny it's been a very exciting, interesting season with so many bumps and twists.
A new manager in Boothroyd pre-season brought in a bunch of new players, the debate over whether to sign Marlon King, a great start to the season, injuries and then we dropped like a stone.
A great cup run, that game against Palace in which we played so well and then knocked out by local rivals Birmingham City.
SISU and their antics; the transfer embargo, we almost went into administration, Ray Ranson left and then stayed and then left again and now a new chairman and new faces on the board.
Boothroyd's departure and now a fantastic display of football under Thorn who still isn't even our manager yet.
As stressful as this season has been for fans it's been eventful and this is most likely to continue over the summer when players leave, Thorn or a new manager is appointed and god knows what SISU will do next regarding investment, administration or the stadium.

brinner

this season has been a complete let down again as usual.

just a shame we didnt sack clueless coleman with about 5 or 6 games left of last season then we may have seen what thorn could have done then and just appointed him last summer instead of hoofroyd and we might be having a good season now!

the appointment of aidy has just made us stagnate as a club.

only problem now with appointing thorn is that half of the team probly wont be here next season and we will have to start from scratch again and if we have no money then were fucked regardless of who takes charge.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think I will remember this season for all the things off the pitch rather than on it. Much of what the team has done has been very forgettable, infact I prefer to forget.

Yes I know things have looked up recently and I dont knock for one second the impact AT's change in style/attitude has brought. But I am a cautious fella and there have for me been worrying signs in all the recent matches, so good though it is to be winning I am not 100% convinced. In all of the games the result could easily have been different but we had some luck and got through to a positive score. One thing is certain the team we have (full of confidence and football easy on the eye) will not contain all the same players next year, the worst part of that is that our better players are the ones leaving. That is a real worry, with no obvious source of funds to replace and a take over only a maybe.

For me a successful season is one where the club has moved forward. So considering some of the measures you might use

League position - no better
Finances - more insecure than ever
Squad - has some quality but lacks depth and we are about to probably lose half of it
Crowds - average crowd is lowest it has been for seasons
Manager with a plan - Nope, AT has done very well but he cant make plans because of the financial situation and he is just caretaker
Owners with a vision and a plan to implement - they might have one but I really dont think it is a fans vision

So does that sound like a club on the up - not really looking at it coldly. Yes the team is having some small success but perhaps I have been a city fan too long, but I am sure people will understand when I say I have seen it all before and wait for the next pin to burst the bubble.

Does the current style etc give us hope - to an extent yes but not if it isnt supported financially. This season has been a competitive championship but not one of real quality and the harsh truth is that we have failed to compete overall. It has left me feeling less enamoured by the game I love. There have been far too many mistakes on and off the pitch, basic clear easily rectified mistakes. I hope we play a more attacking style next year

Looking at the season as a whole I would have to conclude no improvement and not a season I enjoyed.

Here is hoping for much better next season

I think the League position will be better than last season, remember we finished with 54 points in 19th place so it can hardly be any worse.

skybluejelly

what worries me is when or if the out of contract players leave we will basically have the same team that played against morecombe at the begining of the season and the performance that day was woeful,and although we had some results at the begining of the season the performances overall were not great,i think it has been a very mediocre league this year and we had a real chance of getting promoted if we had just risen to the challenge

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
TPH .....Dont think we will finish above 14th and frankly there is little difference between the teams down from 14th to 19th. So yes we should finish above 19th but we easily might not. We dont usually do well against Middlesboro, the games against Reading & Norwich are not games you would bet the mortgage on to get points from, which leaves Scunny and anyone who thinks that will be easy is deluding themselves..... maybe 4 points...... to 56 points instead of 54 is no great improvement especially when there is little to choose between the teams in the division

Start of the season I thought that a top 10 position was attainable given the team, the opposition etc , so achieving 14th or below really is not any great step forward when there is little choose between the teams in the bottom half. I think you have to look at the quality of the league and I dont think i would argue it to be that great this season. This season has been a big opportunity missed by CCFC. Look at the potential teams coming down for next season - it will be a tough season

Still feel little progress has been made.

bamalamafizzfazz

The thread is about the season as a whole and not where we move on to from here.
I would like to highlight what for me have been positives from supporting the Sky Blues this season.
In no particular order.

1- Clinton Morrison leaving.
2- The appointment of Boothroyd, I recall in his first interview stood in the ricoh dugout how the first thing we needed was to sign quick powerful wingers. In retrospect I was wrong and he did not follow through with this intention anyway.
3- Signing Gary McSheffrey, I was pleased to see him come back and knew that if he could remain injury free he would have a part to play.
4- Ben Turner starting at centre half. Solid performances, goal line clearances and contributing goals at the other end.
5- Richard Keogh, I like Keogh when he goes forward he offers a lot to the team by providing good width. He is surprisingly good in the air for a full back also.
6- We kept Westwood!
7- We signed King, controversial to the club and clearly not match fit for the first few months. Proving his quality now.
8- Jutkewitz, he has not had a bad first season for us and I hope he kicks on next season and starts getting more on target.
9- Michael Doyle left finally.
10- Boothroyd left and took his long ball tactics with him.
11- A permanent manager from the merry go round has not been appointed and they are just trying something different out by using a manager the players respect.
12- Andy Thorn! Give that man the job.
13- Home game against Leeds, okay we lost but the atmosphere was the best since we beat Wolves at home.
14- The emergence of Jordan Clarke and Nathan Cameron into the first team from the academy and Hussey's recent run in the team.

Yes it has been a pretty horrible season and there are probably more catastrophic negatives than positives but I just wanted people to see things from a different perspective.

Any other positives I have missed? (try to avoid the sarcasm)

sky_blue_up_north

Does this season not mirror most of the last few years, look good to start, the fall to oblivion, only rise to save ourselves in the last few games

Lloyd

lots of what ifs this season and hopefully a lot of positives for next season.

my only concern is if we sell / lose more players and don't bring in any more depth.

i was talking to my dad about our situation, and i think if we were to bring in a left back (for competition and backup) and a pacey winger, we would be serious playoff contenders next season. we just need to make sure we keep westwood / mk and gunnar!

Nonleagueherewecome

Does this season not mirror most of the last few years, look good to start, the fall to oblivion, only rise to save ourselves in the last few games

I wish I could remember exactly what Clive said when we were 4th. Something like "Surely..surely we can't possibly go on a run as bad as previous years from this position.."

Disorganised1

I think the title is spelt wrong - it should be Season as a hole.

Users who are viewing this thread