Set pieces (1 Viewer)

CV22SBA

Do we have a set piece coach?
Every free kick goes sideways or backwards 5 yards and we took 15 shit corners yesterday. At one point yesterday I felt like running on the pitch and taking one myself! Honestly I’ll see better set pieces in my lads Sunday league game this morning.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Corners never fill me with any excitement. The ball comes straight back out.

stay_up_skyblues

I sent a rant about the quality of our set pieces to my group at the final whistle yesterday. A little while later Oggy said on the radio we’d scored four from corners and two from free kicks already this season…. is that correct?

Jamesimus

Every free kick goes sideways or backwards 5 yards and we took 15 shit corners yesterday. At one point yesterday I felt like running on the pitch and taking one myself! Honestly I’ll see better set pieces in my lads Sunday league game this morning.

Baffles me that Eccles is taking a load of them. I'm not knocking him, but that's hardly playing to his strengths. I'm convinced Sheaf would be a better candidate.

Grendel

In that case the set piece coach needs a pay rise. Although apart from Fadz header at Leicester and Milan’s direct free kick against Watford I dont recall the other 4 set piece goals.

There was a header from lati - I guess they will include Wrights goal against Boro as an example

Adge

Is it still on? 🤔

Greggs

We're brilliant. Not sure what you're watching.....

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

What's the figures on percentage of set pieces scored from? They don't seem threatening to the opposition and I'm struggling to fathom why Eccles has been put on corners.

Grendel

What's the figures on percentage of set pieces scored from? They don't seem threatening to the opposition and I'm struggling to fathom why Eccles has been put on corners.

Apparently we have the most in the division

MalcSB

Presumably he takes the corners either because he is better at taking them than anyone else, or worse at receiving them than anyone else.

skybluecam

McFadz header v Leicester
Wright v Boro
Van Ewijk free kick v Watford
Latibeaudiere header v Hull
Godden's 1st v Cardiff (2nd phase from a corner)
Simms 1st v QPR
And the takers

Fadz v Leicester: Hamer
Wright v Boro: Palmer
MVE v Watford: MVE
Lati v Hull: Eccles
Godden v Cardiff: Eccles
Simms v QPR: Dasilva

CV22SBA

McFadz header v Leicester
Wright v Boro
Van Ewijk free kick v Watford
Latibeaudiere header v Hull
Godden's 1st v Cardiff (2nd phase from a corner)
Simms 1st v QPR
So the issue is Eccles taking set pieces then. He's taken 36 corners since his setup against Hull resulting in zero assists.

Bertola

Studies suggest that you score from roughly 3% of corners taken.... So judging by that, we're due one tomorrow night

fatso

In that case the set piece coach needs a pay rise. Although apart from Fadz header at Leicester and Milan’s direct free kick against Watford I dont recall the other 4 set piece goals.
Wright scored from a corner, against Middlesbrough at the CBS.
It went in off his left hoof.

CCFC54321

So the issue is Eccles taking set pieces then. He's taken 36 corners since his setup against Hull resulting in zero assists.
Hardly call them corners… more like cannon fodder for the opposition defenders to attack.

Getting to the point when we get a corner we just don’t bother taking it and not bother wasting the likes of mcfazdean and co going up. Just a waste of energy and effort. Just give them the ball for a goal kick.

Johhny Blue

It used to be exciting when we won a corner and Hamer ran over to take it. It really felt like something special could happen. Now it feels about the same as a throw in.

blunted

I read the book by the weird American guy we had on the Board (name escapes me). He said fans get really excited when a team gets a corner but it almost never results in a goal. Also said goalies should just stay in the middle and will save more penalties? Did everything by statistics.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Watch Harmer the other night not doing corner duty so being on the short side (transfermarkt has him at under 5 foot 6) he positions himself in the semicircle of the area and waits for the headers out.More than 1 occasion nearly scored any of our players seem to stand to 1 side where as he can move left on right they can't cover both sides

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yep. Does annoy me that no only do we have poor set pieces there is rarely anyone there to pick up the second ball if it's headed clear. Also adds to how we seem to be put on the back foot so much from our own set-pieces.

hamertime

I don’t care what the stats say our corner are bland and shit. We seem to win so many from decent play. It wouldn’t surprise me if we’ve had more corners than anyone in the league.

Adge

It’s not coincidental that not one really hit a Sky Blue shirt from the corners.

Macca1987

I spoke to my son last night whilst at the game and said we need to mix the corners up short and long, behold next corner Eccles takes he makes a short pass to Ayari. I think someone is listening to me, then he proceeds to take nearly every other corner short, frustrating fucking hell

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I spoke to my son last night whilst at the game and said we need to mix the corners up short and long, behold next corner Eccles takes he makes a short pass to Ayari. I think someone is listening to me, then he proceeds to take nearly every other corner short, frustrating fucking hell
Be nice if we could mix it up with decent delivery and a concerted effort to get on the end of it.

Users who are viewing this thread