Sheaf to Luton? (1 Viewer)

Cheylesmore ITK

They would offer him considerably more money, PL football this year, plus a much better chance of PL football next season (or the year after next if Luton do indeed go down). The rumoured offer doesn’t sound like a likely one to me, but if it were true then every agent in the country would be advising him to take it.
they wouldn't offer him much more than we could

as has been said their model is to keep costs down so they can spend on a new stadium

Manchester_sky_blue

They’re selling him because he’s not playing and another club is offering their money back.
They are taking a £500k loss less than 6 months after making him their record signing. Obviously only the Luton management know the full reasons why but it certainly seems on the face of it that they need to sell him

Yank

I wouldn't worry unless a legitimate source comes out; right now, its more akin to drunks in a back alley talking shit.

SlowerThanPlatt

They are taking a £500k loss less than 6 months after making him their record signing. Obviously only the Luton management know the full reasons why but it certainly seems on the face of it that they need to sell him
Reported as £5m by Sky, not that the nuances particularly matter in regards to the OP

IMG_2144.jpeg

Cally Fedora

Luton employing the model we would need if we got promoted. Hoover up the best championship talent so that when you get relegated you can bounce back until you can slowly consolidate your position. We’ve already started the cycle thanks to the Gyokeres and Hamer cash. That said I don’t see Sheaf going to Luton. We don’t need to sell so we should be able to price them out of it.

SBT

Considerably more money yeah right. They are having to sell Giles to prepare for life in the championship. Are you his agent?
You’re arguing something different now. I agree that a bid for Sheaf doesn’t make financial sense for Luton right now and is unlikely to happen. My point was that if they did decide to go for him (and they could likely afford it if they really wanted) then Sheaf wouldn’t think twice about leaving.

The idea that he would turn down more money (which they would inevitably offer) and more PL football in a better side to stay here instead is fantasy.

Hertsccfc

You’re arguing something different now. I agree that a bid for Sheaf doesn’t make financial sense for Luton right now and is unlikely to happen. My point was that if they did decide to go for him (and they could likely afford it if they really wanted) then Sheaf wouldn’t think twice about leaving.

The idea that he would turn down more money (which they would inevitably offer) and more PL football in a better side to stay here instead is fantasy.
Of course he would think twice and it's hardly fantasy that he would turn them down. I am sure that he would consider whether he would get other more attractive offers in the summer, or even now, if we weren't to go up.

NorthernWisdom

tbf, in this window he might, given the relative positions of the teams. I'd agree entirely were this the start of a season and we were in our respective divisions.

Currently he's also maybe in a Gyokeres-type position, where staying for the next few months enhances his reputation, if the alternative is potentially swapping places with us.

SBT

Of course he would think twice and it's hardly fantasy that he would turn them down. I am sure that he would consider whether he would get other more attractive offers in the summer, or even now, if we weren't to go up.
I think fans have difficulty taking an objective view on whether players would want to join/leave us. A couple of months ago when we were crap, people were fretting that no-one would even dream of joining us; now we’re on an unbeaten streak and our players wouldn’t even leave us for a PL team. The reality is that most players want to play at the highest level and/or get paid as much as possible. That’s it really.

Hertsccfc

I think fans have difficulty taking an objective view on whether players would want to join/leave us. A couple of months ago when we were crap, people were fretting that no-one would even dream of joining us; now we’re on an unbeaten streak and our players wouldn’t even leave us for a PL team. The reality is that most players want to play at the highest level and/or get paid as much as possible. That’s it really.
Yes but it's not clear that Luton would be his best option. I was disagreeing with your comment that he wouldn't hesitate to go there.

SBT

tbf, in this window he might, given the relative positions of the teams. I'd agree entirely were this the start of a season and we were in our respective divisions.

Currently he's also maybe in a Gyokeres-type position, where staying for the next few months enhances his reputation, if the alternative is potentially swapping places with us.
You have a point, although he doesn’t have anything like the same leverage as Gyokeres and O’Hare given his contract.

NorthernWisdom

You have a point, although he doesn’t have anything like the same leverage as Gyokeres and O’Hare given his contract.
No but if we're in this division this summer, we're as likely to want to take the cash and deal to improve overall. Ready made replacement in Eccles already here, and the chance to fill out the squad even more.

ptr

Don’t forget everyone that now and again he misplaces a pass so he’s not all that!

Jokes aside, we really were spoilt with Hamer and Sheaf in midfield. No wonder Liam Kelly looked decent end of last year with those two playing alongside him.

Sheaf is ten times the player he was when we first had him. Hats off to the coaching staff.

shmmeee

Wonder if Giles has an attitude issue or is just good at impressing scouts or something. Never seems to stay anywhere more than half a season.

NorthernWisdom

Wonder if Giles has an attitude issue or is just good at impressing scouts or something. Never seems to stay anywhere more than half a season.
On loan it was lack of defensive quality wasn't it. Did well with Middlesbrough, and maybe not surprising he'd struggle in first go in top flight.

Wolves kept him forever, so not sure loans count as possible attitude problem, and we took him back of course.

shmmeee

On loan it was lack of defensive quality wasn't it. Did well with Middlesbrough, and maybe not surprising he'd struggle in first go in top flight.

Wolves kept him forever, so not sure loans count as possible attitude problem, and we took him back of course.

Just other than Boro never seems to fit in. I dunno, just weird to go from record signing to first out the door.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Don’t forget everyone that now and again he misplaces a pass so he’s not all that!

Jokes aside, we really were spoilt with Hamer and Sheaf in midfield. No wonder Liam Kelly looked decent end of last year with those two playing alongside him.

Sheaf is ten times the player he was when we first had him. Hats off to the coaching staff.

Kelly was good on his own merit which is sadly quite forgotten. He also played a lot when Sheaf was out, and that coincided with our best form.

Hertsccfc

Kelly was good on his own merit which is sadly quite forgotten. He also played a lot when Sheaf was out, and that coincided with our best form.
Not sure it was our best form but he was our best player in some of those matches when Sheaf was injured. I think some of the comments people make about Kelly are very unfair given what he has contributed.

Users who are viewing this thread