Sheaf (3 Viewers)

Deity

I think it’s highly likely that Sheaf will move on this summer. Not because DK wants to sell him but because the guy wants a crack at the Premier league. He was explicit in his interview in the Wembley programme.

DK will also see COH exit the club on a free this summer, he rightly won’t want to allow the club to get in a similar position with Sheaf.

IF Sheaf does move on let’s not implode as a fan base and blame the club for lack of ambition.

I think Sheaf deserves to follow his dream …..

ajl

This is where the recruitment team need to step up

They got it spot on replacing Gyokeres' goals but still haven't replaced Hamer

So jury is out on whether they have a sheaf replacement lined up, or whether they will stick their heads in the sand in the hope no one comes in for sheaf and dont plan

I hope its the former

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

skyblu3sk

Nothing wrong with Sheaf having ambition I think he will find it tough though as will COH and as has Hamer to an extent. In the prem they will need more consistency or face being bit part players. Biggest thing for Sheaf to knock out of his game is unforced turnover of the ball in dangerous areas.

Deity

This is where the recruitment team need to step up

They got it spot on replacing Gyokeres' goals but still haven't replaced Hamer

So jury is out on whether they have a sheaf replacement lined up, or whether they will stick their heads in the sand in the hope no one comes in for sheaf and dont plan

I hope its the former

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Viveash said Torp is the Hamer replacement, the 8.

Speedies_Chips

Nothing wrong with Sheaf having ambition I think he will find it tough though as will COH and as has Hamer to an extent. In the prem they will need more consistency or face being bit part players. Biggest thing for Sheaf to knock out of his game is unforced turnover of the ball in dangerous areas.
When Sheaf loses the ball in dangerous areas as you say, it isn’t ‘unforced’. It’s because the opponents are applying pressure and trying to gain possession. It even happens to Premier League players.

skyblu3sk

When Sheaf loses the ball in dangerous areas as you say, it isn’t ‘unforced’. It’s because the opponents are applying pressure and trying to gain possession. It even happens to Premier League players.
I'm not including those it's more the ones where he tries a no look pass that doesn't come off or not enough pace on the ball etc. Sheaf is a really good player but that's the area of improvement for me.

shmmeee

I'm not including those it's more the ones where he tries a no look pass that doesn't come off or not enough pace on the ball etc. Sheaf is a really good player but that's the area of improvement for me.

I’ve not seen that at all this season

Nuskyblue

He’s improved over the year so so much. in the games against the top 10 prem sides which we won he was magnificent
He was great against Southampton too (FA cup game season before last).

How long is has he got left on his contract, 2 years? He signed an extension last season didn't he?

Otis

Would be great if he had one more crack at getting into the Premier with us next season, but I get it if he thinks now is the right timing.

The main downside of him going, besides losing his quality, is that I don't think we will get as much for him as we hope. He's been very injury prone here and that might put a few clubs off a little, or have them bidding less.

PVA

Didn't see his interview in the Wembley programme, but I posted on here a few months back I have it on good authority he wants to move on. He has nothing against the club and loves it here, but has decided now is the time to leave and play at a higher level.

ccfc1234

I think it’s highly likely that Sheaf will move on this summer. Not because DK wants to sell him but because the guy wants a crack at the Premier league. He was explicit in his interview in the Wembley programme.

DK will also see COH exit the club on a free this summer, he rightly won’t want to allow the club to get in a similar position with Sheaf.

IF Sheaf does move on let’s not implode as a fan base and blame the club for lack of ambition.

How many years has he got left? If it's 1 year I hear your point but I think it's 3 and will be 2 next summer!

Personally, I have greater loyalty to the club and wanting us to progress by not endlessly needing to replace our best players capable of operating right at the top of the league then holding the door open for Ben to leave?

Mucca Mad Boys

How many years has he got left? If it's 1 year I hear your point but I think it's 3 and will be 2 next summer!

Personally, I have greater loyalty to the club and wanting us to progress by not endlessly needing to replace our best players capable of operating right at the top of the league then holding the door open for Ben to leave?

Unfortunately, he has 2 years left as it expires in June 2026.

The club needs to make a decision because his value is at its peak right now. If the club doesn’t think we’re nailed on for automatics next season, then the best decision is to probably cash in and get more players in.

We’re close to having an excellent team and if we can get transfer money from Gyokeres, Hamer and Sheaf, it can set up the team for a long time.

Flying Fokker

Too early for us. We need him next season and it seems a bit presumptuous that people think he doesn’t want to do it with us.

I wouldn’t push ‘the grass is greener’ view. He can do it with us. We may well lose him if the price is right. We need to recruit ambitious players of course.

shmmeee

Just don’t see how we fund the required signings without a sale. By my count we need £12m minimum. More than Vik would give us.

Hobo

He wants to play at a higher level. He is at the age where if he is given the opportunity he has to take it.

We will have to wait and see what the summer brings. Let's hope it is not a last minute deal like Hamer, leaving us us in a position where we couldn't get a replacement in.

SkyBlue_Bear83

If we sell Sheaf in the summer then that shows to me very little has really changed at the club since SISU.

Sell in 12 months time if we don't get promoted.

Having the heart of the midfield ripped out in Hamer and Sheaf in consecutive seasons will make it near impossible to go up next season.

We will have Eccles as the senior midfielder, Torp who will hopefully be good but will still be adapting to new country, and the speed of the championship, could we'll be we don't see the best of Torp till after Christmas next season

And some new midfielders who may or may not be good and we definitely won't see the best of these new signings for another 6-12 months.

Eccles and Torp doesn't look like a promotion midfield to me for next season.

torchomatic

Not always. Some of his passing is pretty terrible on occasions.

Both he and Eccles need to work on that.

Hertsccfc

Would be great if he had one more crack at getting into the Premier with us next season, but I get it if he thinks now is the right timing.

The main downside of him going, besides losing his quality, is that I don't think we will get as much for him as we hope. He's been very injury prone here and that might put a few clubs off a little, or have them bidding less.
I am not convinced we would get that much but it's difficult to tell. I have always really rated him but as you say he does get injured a lot and he would be a gamble for a PL team. He is a great player at this level but lacks the sort of pace most PL players have.

He might make the step up but it's not inevitable. Same applies with O'Hare.

shmmeee

If we sell Sheaf in the summer then that shows to me very little has really changed at the club since SISU.

Having the heart of the midfield ripped out in Hamer and Sheaf in consecutive seasons will make it near impossible to go up next season.

We will have Eccles as the senior midfielder, Torp who will hopefully be good but will still be adapting to new country, and the speed of the championship, could we'll be we don't see the best of Torp till after Christmas next season

And some new midfielders who may or may not be good and we definitely won't see the best of these new signings for another 6-12 months.

His value goes down next year. If it was a case of keep the side together then I could see the argument but we need to likely drop £4m+ on an O’Hare replacement. Still need a first team CM and CB as well as decent cover for ST and RW, which won’t be cheap (say what you like about Godden but he’s a ten goal+ striker at this level.

Mucca Mad Boys

The reality is that we need to continually sell players to get to the next level. We've turned Hamer and Vik into 5-6 saleable assets that can keep us competitive in our journey.

We still need quite a few players before we can really challenge at the top of the table and if we get a good deal for Sheaf, then Vik and Hamer bring us in sell-on fees, we've got a platform to get some quality in through the door.

Sheaf is 26 years old now, he'll want to test himself at a higher level and he deserves it. Letting Sheaf get to 12 months left on his contract and selling below his value would show lessons haven't been learned.

TomRad85

Just don’t see how we fund the required signings without a sale. By my count we need £12m minimum. More than Vik would give us.
Think we'll end up getting something for Hamer too. Probably done just enough to stay in Prem imo.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

His peak value is now. If you could fetch £15-20m plus whatever from hopefully Gyo's transfer, you really should have enough to build a proper squad with change left over.

The issue is that the player himself isn't straightforward to replace

Reactions: AOM

MalcSB

Didn't see his interview in the Wembley programme, but I posted on here a few months back I have it on good authority he wants to move on. He has nothing against the club and loves it here, but has decided now is the time to leave and play at a higher level.
That’s assuming

a) That anyone comes in for him, and
b) That they are prepared to match the valuation of a player who still has two years left on his contract

MalcSB

The reality is that we need to continually sell players to get to the next level. We've turned Hamer and Vik into 5-6 saleable assets that can keep us competitive in our journey.

We still need quite a few players before we can really challenge at the top of the table and if we get a good deal for Sheaf, then Vik and Hamer bring us in sell-on fees, we've got a platform to get some quality in through the door.

Sheaf is 26 years old now, he'll want to test himself at a higher level and he deserves it. Letting Sheaf get to 12 months left on his contract and selling below his value would show lessons haven't been learned.
Gyokeres had 12 months left on his contract, was he sold below his value? Same for Hamer.

MTK

I’ve accepted we sell our best players at their peak value since Dennis Mortimer broke my heart signing for Villa on Christmas Eve in 1975. There’s no excuses these days with all available stats etc. not to have potential replacements in mind. And make up your mind and sell early so the replacement is here for pre-season. Replacement in good time is what I want now, not trying to keep a player who wants to go. I wish them all well. If they go on to better things like Vic, it reflects well on us as a club

skybluericoh

The model we have is sign a player, improve them and the sell on and reinvest. Under SISU this was done under a vail of secrecy, and what looked like panic in an attempt to balance the books. Now it looks as if it is only being done in away to improve the club. My guess is every will have their value and will only go if that value is met or exceeded.
The same with targets, identify, set the budget and don’t panic will be the process. It left us short this season, Hammer going so late, the extension to the season with the PO. But we have still had a great season and are in a better place now than 12 months ago all bit it we were closer to the PL.
I trust MR and his team, a feel he has got better backing now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread