Sheaf (3 Viewers)

Hertsccfc

I’ve accepted we sell our best players at their peak value since Dennis Mortimer broke my heart signing for Villa on Christmas Eve in 1975. There’s no excuses these days with all available stats etc. not to have potential replacements in mind. And make up your mind and sell early so the replacement is here for pre-season. Replacement in good time is what I want now, not trying to keep a player who wants to go. I wish them all well. If they go on to better things like Vic, it reflects well on us as a club
You can only sell early if someone makes an offer for them at that time. I doubt we chose to sell Hamer once the season had started.

Sky Blue Pete

Didn't see his interview in the Wembley programme, but I posted on here a few months back I have it on good authority he wants to move on. He has nothing against the club and loves it here, but has decided now is the time to leave and play at a higher level.
Think he’ll leave
With our best wishes and thanks
And he is and will be a ccfc legend

Flying Fokker

The reality is that we need to continually sell players to get to the next level. We've turned Hamer and Vik into 5-6 saleable assets that can keep us competitive in our journey.

We still need quite a few players before we can really challenge at the top of the table and if we get a good deal for Sheaf, then Vik and Hamer bring us in sell-on fees, we've got a platform to get some quality in through the door.

Sheaf is 26 years old now, he'll want to test himself at a higher level and he deserves it. Letting Sheaf get to 12 months left on his contract and selling below his value would show lessons haven't been learned.
Except he’d have been saving us a few quid in the meantime. He may well be at his peak. But he‘s adding value to our promotion push. So no, don‘t cash in.

stupot07

Think we'll end up getting something for Hamer too. Probably done just enough to stay in Prem imo.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
But has he done enough for someone to pay more than £15m for him to stay in the PL?

I'd be surprised if the deal is 15% on any fee not just profit. I'm guessing survival was a clause in his contract to release a payment too

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Mucca Mad Boys

Except he’d have been saving us a few quid in the meantime. He may well be at his peak. But he‘s adding value to our promotion push. So no, don‘t cash in.

How many players do you believe we need for a playoff push? Assuming Gyokeres leaves for €100m early in the window, we're set for £7-10 million - would that fund the players you think we need?

TomRad85

But has he done enough for someone to pay more than £15m for him to stay in the PL?

I'd be surprised if the deal is 15% on any fee not just profit. I'm guessing survival was a clause in his contract to release a payment too

From the bits I've read on here, that aren't always accurate granted, its of the overall fee. He'll probably gain a bit of value playing in prem and having a long contract. 15% of say £20 million isn't to be sniffed at.

MalcSB

I think it’s highly likely that Sheaf will move on this summer. Not because DK wants to sell him but because the guy wants a crack at the Premier league. He was explicit in his interview in the Wembley programme.

DK will also see COH exit the club on a free this summer, he rightly won’t want to allow the club to get in a similar position with Sheaf.

IF Sheaf does move on let’s not implode as a fan base and blame the club for lack of ambition.

I think Sheaf deserves to follow his dream …..
He was also explicit in saying he wants to play in the Champions League and for his country. The latter won’t happen, the former is pretty unlikely.

covcity4life

I think he's shown quality at the top level which may tempt someone to buy him. But dunno if at a profit or not though

Viktor17

From the bits I've read on here, that aren't always accurate granted, its of the overall fee. He'll probably gain a bit of value playing in prem and having a long contract. 15% of say £20 million isn't to be sniffed at.

I’m pretty sure it’s on fee not profit. So could be worth another couple of million.

add to circa 7-10million for vik
Fa cup run

we could have circa 10-13million easily as war chest + potential fee for godden/wilson/allen . Without sheaf going

Deity

If you believe in the business model then part of that belief has to be you accept selling players at their peak. The model breaks if you want to keep them beyond their peak value.

There are very few clubs in world football that do not sell their best assets once the peak value is met.

The secret is to plan well so their successor ideally is already at the club. That is very difficult in key positions and at smaller clubs.

In a perfect world we would have signed a CDM in Jan to replace Sheaf in the summer.

The additional challenge for us is that we aspire to be a Prenier League club so for which league are you planning the successor to be able to play in ….

TomRad85

I’m pretty sure it’s on fee not profit. So could be worth another couple of million.

Fa cup run

we could have circa 10-13million easily as war chest + potential fee for godden/wilson/allen . Without sheaf going
Vik and Hamer funding another summer spending spree.

Sick Boy

Fa cup run

Isn't Gyokeres 10% of the profit on €100M?

Flying Fokker

How many players do you believe we need for a playoff push? Assuming Gyokeres leaves for €100m early in the window, we're set for £7-10 million - would that fund the players you think we need?
No. But I’m hoping next season is another step along the way. Probably need to get 6 -8. additional players. Assuming we lose 3 or 4. So that’s a bob or two. Whatever happens the position needs to be filled.

TomRad85

In all honesty if we get £15 million for Sheaf and we have around say £13 million for the rest of it, you'd have to expect that to fund a real promotion push on top of what's already here.

SkyBlue_Bear83

We would've got more for both players if they have 24 months on their contract rather than 12. We got great deals given the circumstances, but we didn't maximise their value.
We could have sold both players 12 months earlier when they had 24 months left but this still wouldn't maximise value.
I would argue we would have as got less as the players were sensational over the next 12 months increasing there value.

Sheaf could well be the same, if he performs even better over the next 12 months he could well at least hold his transfer value and we have the added benefit of having an even better version of Ben Sheaf for another 12 months.

Marty

Happy for any of the players to go for the right money, it's the model we're working too, between him and Gyokeres, we should have another big transfer budget to improve the team.

Cally Fedora

A couple of things on this. Sheaf is an excellent player but positions such as Gyok and Hamer attract more interest so we may not be overrun with offers. But if we do get a good bid that is our model. Buy low, sell high. It’s working. I’d rather have Wright, Simms, Sakamoto, Van Ewijk, Kitching, Thomas, Torp and Mason-Clark than Gyokeres and Hamer.

Mucca Mad Boys

We could have sold both players 12 months earlier when they had 24 months left but this still wouldn't maximise value.
I would argue we would have as got less as the players were sensational over the next 12 months increasing there value.

Sheaf could well be the same, if he performs even better over the next 12 months he could well at least hold his transfer value and we have the added benefit of having an even better version of Ben Sheaf for another 12 months.

No. But I’m hoping next season is another step along the way. Probably need to get 6 -8. additional players. Assuming we lose 3 or 4. So that’s a bob or two. Whatever happens the position needs to be filled.

Sheaf isn’t the kind of player that will start banging in the goals any time soon - that’s not really his game. He’s close to the peak of his value as a premiership player and at 26, he will want a move if there’s serious interest in him.

If we need 6-8 players, which is a number I’d agree with, you’d have to look at selling someone to raise the funds. This season, Sheaf is probably the best candidate for that.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Sheaf isn’t the kind of player that will start banging in the goals any time soon - that’s not really his game. He’s close to the peak of his value as a premiership player and at 26, he will want a move if there’s serious interest in him.

If we need 6-8 players, which is a number I’d agree with, you’d have to look at selling someone to raise the funds. This season, Sheaf is probably the best candidate for that.
Robins likened him to Bryan Robson earlier in the season who was a classic box to box midfielder who scored goals. I think there's definitely some improvement left in Sheaf and he has the ability to be scoring around 6-9 goals a season.

SAJ

Would be great if he had one more crack at getting into the Premier with us next season, but I get it if he thinks now is the right timing.

The main downside of him going, besides losing his quality, is that I don't think we will get as much for him as we hope. He's been very injury prone here and that might put a few clubs off a little, or have them bidding less.
That may well be the case. The difference is we are in the position to decide what he’s worth for us losing him. It will simply be if you hit our valuation then that’s fine if not he won’t be going.

SBT

We lose all the games he plays and win all the games he doesn’t though, don’t we? We rid and we’re on for an unbeaten season!
PPG this season (with Sheaf) = 1.413793103448276
PPG (without Sheaf) = 1.53

The stats are indisputable - it could be a real struggle to find a club willing to take him next season.

Hertsccfc

PPG this season (with Sheaf) = 1.413793103448276
PPG (without Sheaf) = 1.53

The stats are indisputable - it could be a real struggle to find a club willing to take him next season.
He's a very good player but not at the Hamer or Gyokeres level. Neither is O'Hare. That's why I think some of the figures being mentioned on here are well off. I might be wrong though and you never know with some teams, with figures like £80 million on Anthony and £100 million on Caicedo.

messiahrobins

I think it’s highly likely that Sheaf will move on this summer. Not because DK wants to sell him but because the guy wants a crack at the Premier league. He was explicit in his interview in the Wembley programme.

DK will also see COH exit the club on a free this summer, he rightly won’t want to allow the club to get in a similar position with Sheaf.

IF Sheaf does move on let’s not implode as a fan base and blame the club for lack of ambition.

I think Sheaf deserves to follow his dream …..
Everyone has a price. Sheaf isnt ready for the PL, still gives the ball away too much in dangerous areas, so if he wants to go and sit on the bench every week, then that would be a mistake career wise for him, but he is by no means irreplaceable if we got a good fee.

messiahrobins

His peak value is now. If you could fetch £15-20m plus whatever from hopefully Gyo's transfer, you really should have enough to build a proper squad with change left over.

The issue is that the player himself isn't straightforward to replace
£15 million for Sheaf would be great business tbh.

messiahrobins

I am not convinced we would get that much but it's difficult to tell. I have always really rated him but as you say he does get injured a lot and he would be a gamble for a PL team. He is a great player at this level but lacks the sort of pace most PL players have.

He might make the step up but it's not inevitable. Same applies with O'Hare.
Ohare is not PL level, not even close to it as much as i really love the guy.
Sheaf potentially is but he would need to cut out the mistakes, he does give the ball away in dangerous areas too often still. I could see Leicester coming in for him.

Users who are viewing this thread