Side Hustles (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Curious as to people’s experiences setting up side hustles or even their own company.

It’s something I’ve thought about on an off and never really pushed through but the old noggin has spat out something I fancy giving a go. Not to become the next Zuck, but maybe to top up my beer tokens each month.

My new goal is to make £1 selling something online. Then worry about scaling rather than “build a perfect product that will sell millions day one” which has always been my downfall.

Just curious how people have found it? Any marketing/sales tips? Problems with taking cash online generally in terms of tax or whatever. Good resources?

Sky_Blue_Daz

Years ago I worked term time and would do 5 weeks during the summer labouring on sites all cash in hand was always handy for christmas

SBAndy

Curious as to people’s experiences setting up side hustles or even their own company.

It’s something I’ve thought about on an off and never really pushed through but the old noggin has spat out something I fancy giving a go. Not to become the next Zuck, but maybe to top up my beer tokens each month.

My new goal is to make £1 selling something online. Then worry about scaling rather than “build a perfect product that will sell millions day one” which has always been my downfall.

Just curious how people have found it? Any marketing/sales tips? Problems with taking cash online generally in terms of tax or whatever. Good resources?

Can be quite wild. I know a former BT engineer that started selling soft furnishings online as a bit of a ‘side-hustle’ (I hate that term). Business is now £5m turnover and very decent profitability.

Wish I could tell you his secret - if I knew then I’d be doing it myself!

shmmeee

Yeah the hard part is finding the niche.

See this is the mindset I’m trying to break myself out of because I always convince myself my business has to be 100% original and the best in the world and as soon as I see even one other person doing it I’m like “ah well guess that’s taken”. Hence the “make £1” goal.

But from the research I’ve done I do think there’s a potential gap. It’s a niche market but worldwide and fairly large is I can tap into a bit of it.

nicksar

There are loads of people on Tik Tok pushing/promoting "side hustles" apparently it's easy to make thousands a week 😁...so worth checking that out?.
The easiest I've seen is "Sweatcoin" where you can earn gift vouchers etc just by walking,I think the NHS sponsor it to some extent.

rob9872

Imo if you want small potential returns, then as long as you're not greedy with margins, dropshipping is the way to go. You hold no stock, ship direct to 3rd party with no risk and mark up accordingly. Only costs are website and possibly some advertising.

Customer complaints and sorting the genuine from the creative is one of the bigger hassles and downside.

Flying Fokker

Can be quite wild. I know a former BT engineer that started selling soft furnishings online as a bit of a ‘side-hustle’ (I hate that term). Business is now £5m turnover and very decent profitability.

Wish I could tell you his secret - if I knew then I’d be doing it myself!
F’kin Americanisms. The world is going mad bro.

wingy

The black economy, otherwise known as doing a foreigner, although that could have a different meaning now?

Nick

Administrator
There are loads of people on Tik Tok pushing/promoting "side hustles" apparently it's easy to make thousands a week 😁...so worth checking that out?.
The easiest I've seen is "Sweatcoin" where you can earn gift vouchers etc just by walking,I think the NHS sponsor it to some extent.

Have you seen how much you have to walk?

I installed an app for a look and I think I'd have to climb a mountain every day for 75p.

If they are making thousands a week from it, why are they telling everybody and trying to sell a £29 course.

ccfctommy

Only Fans?

CCfC2023

My side line is selling DVD / Cds online mostly there are of little value but with a bit of knowledge some are worth good money .
and they are easy to post with little effort (packing ect ) and with the rise of streaming they are everywhere and cheap to buy .

PurpleBin

Work out, know what you're good at and sell that...Massive demand for online courses etc. these days. Easy to play down your existing skill set and think it's nothing but there's people out there paying good money to learn almost anything. Not sure how I remember (I've got a wild good memory...unless I'm wrong then 🤣) but don't you work in programming or some IT thing? Loads of courses for that stuff.

Dropshipping was a thing 15 years ago that not many were onto (anyone else read the 4HWW?) I sold a fair bit on eBay around 2008 doing that. It was them foldable kids scooters that come into trend every few years. They had football team branding on them (Man United etc.)

These days, the same products you'd be dropshipping are being dropshipped by loads of others. Then the people selling the courses are doing the same thing themselves and as others said, that's how they make their money. Also without massive spending on advertising you've no chance. That is unless you're savvy enough to make your own connections with companies that might not usually dropship but might work with you if it's worth it. Again though, need to outlay shit loads of marketing just to have a chance (unless it's a crazy niche)

PVA

The closest I came to a side hustle was a few years ago I got really good at golf betting and was going to look at starting a subscription service through Twitter.

In the end I didn't really have the time for it but also morally I couldn't have people putting their hard earned on the line on my recommendations, even more so now with cost of living crisis.

wingy

Work out, know what you're good at and sell that...Massive demand for online courses etc. these days. Easy to play down your existing skill set and think it's nothing but there's people out there paying good money to learn almost anything. Not sure how I remember (I've got a wild good memory...unless I'm wrong then 🤣) but don't you work in programming or some IT thing? Loads of courses for that stuff.

Dropshipping was a thing 15 years ago that not many were onto (anyone else read the 4HWW?) I sold a fair bit on eBay around 2008 doing that. It was them foldable kids scooters that come into trend every few years. They had football team branding on them (Man United etc.)

These days, the same products you'd be dropshipping are being dropshipped by loads of others. Then the people selling the courses are doing the same thing themselves and as others said, that's how they make their money. Also without massive spending on advertising you've no chance. That is unless you're savvy enough to make your own connections with companies that might not usually dropship but might work with you if it's worth it. Again though, need to outlay shit loads of marketing just to have a chance (unless it's a crazy niche)
Told my daughter and son in law to do rhis years ago, it was his job importing trinkets from China.for someone else.

nicksar

Have you seen how much you have to walk?

I installed an app for a look and I think I'd have to climb a mountain every day for 75p.

If they are making thousands a week from it, why are they telling everybody and trying to sell a £29 course.
I've never actually looked into any of the "side hustles" Nick and I'm sure most are actually trying to sell us something.(y)

I used to buy and sell cars, bought them on ebay cleaned them and any work required I.e. mot and made a few hundred. Convertibles in the summer, small first cars in the winter. Really enjoyed it and the traders insurance was only about £200 more than normal insurance.

Also have a couple of bouncy castles that I hire out. Easy money in the summer time.

napolimp

The only people I've even known who have made money from side hustles, are those weirdos who have an absurd amount of drive, energy, and enthusiasm. The kind of people who take below minimum wage jobs in sales and somehow climb to earning 6 figure salaries in commission. I'd rather just half-arse my decently paid day job, and chill out the rest of the time.

Greggs

Retro football gear from charity shops can be a very easy flip.
Anything to do with dogs.
Wheelie bin putter outer.
Growing and selling fruit and veg ;)

nicksar

I used to know a woman who travelled about to "posh' towns and bought designer clothing in Charity shops to re-sell on Ebay ( probably be using vinted or similar now).
One of my Granddaughter's sells all the clobber we and her mum and dad buy her after a short while on vinted...then begins the "pester process" again..
She's 13 and will go far in life 🤣

Last edited:

napolimp

Retro football gear from charity shops can be a very easy flip.
Anything to do with dogs.
Wheelie bin putter outer.
Growing and selling fruit and veg ;)

I didn't know this about the wheelie bins, must start charging my neighbour.

ProfessorbyGrace

Absurd question here, but blame the neurodivergence:

I’m not sure of the correct terminology, however, these ‘I made £30k sitting on my arse, look at my mansion’ schemes that have plagued my viewing pleasure on YouTube for years now - are they all basically variations of Pyramid Schemes?

I’ve been looking for a no-hassle, supplementary income for a while, just to put myself above the ‘just breaking even’ line. Don’t have the cash to invest in shares or anything, which I’d do if I could.

shmmeee

Absurd question here, but blame the neurodivergence:

I’m not sure of the correct terminology, however, these ‘I made £30k sitting on my arse, look at my mansion’ schemes that have plagued my viewing pleasure on YouTube for years now - are they all basically variations of Pyramid Schemes?

I’ve been looking for a no-hassle, supplementary income for a while, just to put myself above the ‘just breaking even’ line. Don’t have the cash to invest in shares or anything, which I’d do if I could.

Basically. Buy a course to tell you how to sell courses telling people how to sell course telling people how to sell courses. I imagine. Probably repackaged out of date 4HWW type stuff.

From all my research if you want to beat the effort/reward ratio of a shift at Maccys you either need to sell something (ebook course drop shipping) and get lucky with marketing etc. Or you need a skill you can sell direct like coding or tutoring. Of course there’s always the old teacher-out-of-his-subject mantra: you’ve only got to stay one lesson ahead of the students :p

Sick Boy

The only people I've even known who have made money from side hustles, are those weirdos who have an absurd amount of drive, energy, and enthusiasm. The kind of people who take below minimum wage jobs in sales and somehow climb to earning 6 figure salaries in commission. I'd rather just half-arse my decently paid day job, and chill out the rest of the time.
I know a fair few people who’ve made very decent money off affiliate sites and they’re nothing like that. They just know what they’re doing and work effectively. They’re also happy to put the hours in, as anyone has to when starting/running a business.

napolimp

I know a fair few people who’ve made very decent money off affiliate sites and they’re nothing like that. They just know what they’re doing and work effectively. They’re also happy to put the hours in, as anyone has to when starting/running a business.

🤮

Mcbean

Runs to google side hustle 😀

so my side hustle that I know has made very little money is selling off some of the junk we have collected over the years - I tell you no lie some quality shit !

jimmyhillsfanclub

Spread betting......

Its not for the faint hearted!

You can try it out in real-time markets with pretend money to get a feel for it using a demo account on several platforms.

I use tradefair.

shmmeee

Spread betting......

Its not for the faint hearted!

You can try it out in real-time markets with pretend money to get a feel for it using a demo account on several platforms.

I use tradefair.

TBF I did have a play with this and made a few quid. Just felt like a lot of effort. Bet you could automate it now though…

What are the platforms actually doing? Just pulling odds and comparing/doing some maths, right?

Users who are viewing this thread