Signings Rumour-Will I ever lear? (1 Viewer)

JHarding1987

Jun 2, 2011
Marston Green, Birmingham
So last night I readon various siteslike twitter,facebook,football rumours (I know) that 2 signings to be announced today. Le Fondre and Livermore were mentioned so much that I thought there had to be something in these rumours,plus Stuart Linnell added to this by stoking up the hope by annoucing on twitter there would be news of 2 new signings.

I didn't for one effing minute believe it would be 2 that were already there! Bet the SISU tossers loved getting some of our hopes up again. Shame the useless barstewards dn't think of doing this with Westwood,Gunnarson, King and manymore.

I feel a damn crazy fool and well narked.:mad:

fanta80

Jul 30, 2010
How exactly is this SISUs fault that people on forums beleive rumours posted by random fans?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Jan 24, 2011
Malvern
And they shot President Kennedy!

Mar 19, 2011
Coventry
We are signing Santa Cruz on loan so I would'nt worry about it. Apparently we are looking for the same deal as bellend had from man city....great news, exciting times.:claping hands:

PhilWasn'tBabb

Oct 24, 2010
Portsmouth
Its all very under welling isn't it, having said that its interesting that they have offered Baker a new contract, whats he done that Gunn didn't.. if they had offered him some more money after his first season he'd have signed it.

It sounds like there has been a change in policy in terms of contracts at least.

skybluegod

May 13, 2011
We are signing Santa Cruz on loan so I would'nt worry about it. Apparently we are looking for the same deal as bellend had from man city....great news, exciting times.:claping hands:

i hear he's verbally agreed a contract :):facepalm:

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
Coventry, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Its all very under welling isn't it, having said that its interesting that they have offered Baker a new contract, whats he done that Gunn didn't.. if they had offered him some more money after his first season he'd have signed it.

It sounds like there has been a change in policy in terms of contracts at least.

That's a possibility, or it could be that what was said about the big 3's contracts was the truth: we offered what we can afford, but they got better elsewhere.

I'd be interested to know the terms of these contracts. Are we talking wage reductions? Bigger bonus to basic wage ratio? Basically I'd find it hard to believe that we are offering improved terms to players like Bell and McPake, and I could see both of them taking a reasonable deal pay wise.

PhilWasn'tBabb

Oct 24, 2010
Portsmouth
If a players any good and as a club you want to keep them, then you can't let a contract get into the last 12 months. Gunn for example would have been sign on very little considering where we got him from. After his first season he deserved an improved deal. I bet we could have doubled his money and he wouldn't have been on nearly as much as the likes of Doyle.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Oct 16, 2010
If a players any good and as a club you want to keep them, then you can't let a contract get into the last 12 months. Gunn for example would have been sign on very little considering where we got him from. After his first season he deserved an improved deal. I bet we could have doubled his money and he wouldn't have been on nearly as much as the likes of Doyle.
I agree it was the club being tight fisted.
New contracts should be offered when a player enters the final 2 years of there contract if you really want to keep him.

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
I agree it was the club being tight fisted.
New contracts should be offered when a player enters the final 2 years of there contract if you really want to keep him.

What about players on a 2 year deal? :p

I disagree in general. It may be naive but I think a contract works both ways. You sign up saying you are happy to receive that wage for the timescale given. The club can't turn around to an injury prone or past it player after a year of a 3 year deal and say "sorry mate, turns out you're shit we'll give you a wage reduction". Well they could but no footballer would ever accept.

If the player was happy to sign those terms they should be happy to get them then renegotiate in the final year of the deal. Fucking Bosman messed all this up, it's becoming more and more common for players to just run down their deal and get a fat wage elsewhere, which means the money goes out of the game and clubs get poorer as a result, while the only winners are the makers of sports cars and hookers.

That's why I'd always back City being "tight fisted" as you call it. The amount of money going to players has got out of control and we shouldn't play up to it. Of course the likes of Fester will always be around to game the system, but it doesn't mean we should stoop to their level.

Of course if we hit the jackpot like they have I'd be the first one screaming for us to pay average Championship players tens of thousands of pounds so we can get out of this league :D

SkyBlue_Bear83

Oct 16, 2010

I disagree in general. It may be naive but I think a contract works both ways. You sign up saying you are happy to receive that wage for the timescale given. The club can't turn around to an injury prone or past it player after a year of a 3 year deal and say "sorry mate, turns out you're shit we'll give you a wage reduction". Well they could but no footballer would ever accept.

If the player was happy to sign those terms they should be happy to get them then renegotiate in the final year of the deal. Fucking Bosman messed all this up, it's becoming more and more common for players to just run down their deal and get a fat wage elsewhere, which means the money goes out of the game and clubs get poorer as a result, while the only winners are the makers of sports cars and hookers.

That's why I'd always back City being "tight fisted" as you call it. The amount of money going to players has got out of control and we shouldn't play up to it. Of course the likes of Fester will always be around to game the system, but it doesn't mean we should stoop to their level.

Of course if we hit the jackpot like they have I'd be the first one screaming for us to pay average Championship players tens of thousands of pounds so we can get out of this league :D
Your top players should be offered new contracts when they enter the final 2 years of there contracts imo. If it gets to the last year they are already eyeing up there next move before you can even enter negotiations. Leaving it to the last year gives all the power to the players and you are unlikely to get a transfer fee as no club will pay unless they are desperate. If you offer them a contract in the final 2 years of there deal and it is obvious they won't sign then you can sell them and get a decent fee. This should only be done for your top players imo.

I understand your principle but unfortunately we will/have ended up falling behind and lost some great players for nothing because of it.

PhilWasn'tBabb

Oct 24, 2010
Portsmouth

I understand what your saying, and like it, but if I do good in my job at the end of the year I expect/hope for a pay rise, even more so when there is lots of dead wood around me doing not very much for double the money. If the club wants to keep its saleable assets then they can't let a player get into the last 24 months

Sky_Blue_Ste

Jul 11, 2011
Wyre Coast

that was actually started by someone on here just to see how easy it was! told to poick a rumour & see how long it took!

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
I understand what your saying, and like it, but if I do good in my job at the end of the year I expect/hope for a pay rise, even more so when there is lots of dead wood around me doing not very much for double the money. If the club wants to keep its saleable assets then they can't let a player get into the last 24 months

Oh I agree about the pay rise if you've done particularly well. The word at the time of course was that Westwood and Gunnar were both offered contracts after a good first year in fact. The question is did we offer them enough for them to sign?

Let's be realistic, players know the system and don't suddenly turn around with a year left and go "oh yeah I could go somewhere else", they know the deal going in and in my opinion should either enter the contract in good faith, or have the decency to hand a transfer request in if they think they could do better elsewhere so that the club gets some compensation.

I just don't think it should be expected that every player automatically gets a pay rise every year or they have the right to hold the club to ransom.

Again, I know it's naive, but I think clubs taking a stand is the only way to bring down player wage demands, which let's face it are killing the game. If it means we're not competitive this year but are better set up for the financial rules next season then great IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread