Something to piss a few off , XG table (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Also if your forwards do misfire it may be they are just inferior and need more chances to convert
Should the data hold up all season it would be hard to argue against that point

shmmeee

Also if your forwards do misfire it may be they are just inferior and need more chances to convert

Spotty xG stats for both because of the leagues they’ve played in, particularly Wright who hit form in Turkey, but the limited data suggests Simms generally over performs his xG and Wright underperforms. Take what you will from that.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

This shouldn't really come as a surprise to anybody. We are a very goal-shy team throughout. Looking at the goals scored against us, it always feels like we need 2 or 3 of those kind of chances to actually do something the other way.

It is imperative that our strikers find some form, because the rest of the team are very much incapable of contributing significantly. As Godden hasn't scored in 9, Simms only scoring in one game all season, and Wright huffing and puffing, it isn't surprising that we have been failing to pick up results.

Grendel

shmmeee

Simms hasn’t started well, no doubt. But his record gives me hope he’ll regress to an improved mean.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I guess it shows tactically we are pretty much on the ball ...you could also argue we're a good side being let down by poor finishing .

Either way we are where we are
I suppose id rather be in the position that we are creating chances and missing as that's probably the easiest to expect a change in (if the strikers can somehow rediscover their finishing ability). Just a bit of a concern that they need to sort that out asap really.

Greggs

Don't care. We are still boring as fuck to watch.

Evo1883

At least I've got a watch
censorship GIF

False9

To add to this Haji now has the highest non penalty xG per 90mins (0.71) in the league and the highest number of shots per 90 in league (3.88).

Like I've said before, he's a chance magnet but isn't finishing enough of them at moment.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Seen a stat that the other day on here that Godden had missed the most big changes in the league with 7.

In second place for the whole division was Haji and Simms with 6.

That's 19 goals there.

Cally Fedora

There’s also a subtle difference that Wright for me creates more openings for himself whereas someone like Godden relies more heavily on service.

napolimp

Haven't we always been quite goal shy - I mean the last few seasons - like need a lot of chances to actually score?

And what do you do about a problem like not converting chances? It seems like one of the most difficult problems to solve from a management point of view.

Overall, sounds like if Wright was to start converting we might start winning.

stupot07

Looks like a load of Bollocks to me. Overall as an average, our xG for is 1.46 per game and our XG against is 1.25 per game. The difference is negligible really. We've score slightly less than what we are expected 1.19 goals per game, and conceding slightly more than we would expect 1.31 goals per game

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

SBAndy

Looks like a load of Bollocks to me. Overall as an average, our xG for is 1.46 per game and our XG against is 1.25 per game. The difference is negligible really. We've score slightly less than what we are expected 1.19 goals per game, and conceding slightly more than we would expect 1.31 goals per game

But we’ve drawn the most in the league. Conceding just 2 less (0.125 per game) and scoring 2 more (again, 0.125 per game) would see us in 5th.

fernandopartridge

Our xG has been superior in 13 of the 16 games

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It might seem like a small thing, but that makes a big difference overall. xG shows we should be scoring more than we're conceding, but actual G shows we are scoring less than we're conceding. In a game that changes a win to a loss.

BlueSkiesForever

I get that we’re expected to score a lot more according to those stats and I also realise our strikers haven’t been great so far but I disagree that we’ve created a lot. Maybe from a stats perspective we’ve “created chances” but I don’t think we really have “created chances”, all our attempts at goal are long-winded and lacking fluidity, they’re mostly easy to defend against and just from what I’ve seen most weeks require perfect passes to come off and the ball to land precisely at the feet of the strikers, something which we’re awful at doing.

Personally I don’t mind stats and it obviously seems stupid to argue against them but just from the eye test it doesn’t look like we should have been expected to score as many goals as that table suggests. I think of the chances we’ve had in recent weeks, there’s definitely been a couple of easy goals missed but most of our “chances” are awkward headers or long range shots or tight angle shots or efforts that get swamped by defenders. I can probably count on one hand how many goals we realistically should have scored in the last 3 or 4 games.

Our strikers have been poor, granted, but I don’t think the blame lies solely at their feet, they’ve been feeding off scrappy chances and I personally think we need to sort out a more coherent midfield first and then if our strikers are missing multiple golden opportunities we can blame them. Just my thoughts anyway, I’m sure others will disagree.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I get that we’re expected to score a lot more according to those stats and I also realise our strikers haven’t been great so far but I disagree that we’ve created a lot. Maybe from a stats perspective we’ve “created chances” but I don’t think we really have “created chances”, all our attempts at goal are long-winded and lacking fluidity, they’re mostly easy to defend against and just from what I’ve seen most weeks require perfect passes to come off and the ball to land precisely at the feet of the strikers, something which we’re awful at doing.

Personally I don’t mind stats and it obviously seems stupid to argue against them but just from the eye test it doesn’t look like we should have been expected to score as many goals as that table suggests. I think of the chances we’ve had in recent weeks, there’s definitely been a couple of easy goals missed but most of our “chances” are awkward headers or long range shots or tight angle shots or efforts that get swamped by defenders. I can probably count on one hand how many goals we realistically should have scored in the last 3 or 4 games.

Our strikers have been poor, granted, but I don’t think the blame lies solely at their feet, they’ve been feeding off scrappy chances and I personally think we need to sort out a more coherent midfield first and then if our strikers are missing multiple golden opportunities we can blame them.
But I can think of a fair few chances for each of the strikers that they've either hit wide or straight at the keeper. While we do often have a quite laborious build up play, the strikers are missing chances

BlueSkiesForever

But I can think of a fair few chances for each of the strikers that they've either hit wide or straight at the keeper. While we do often have a quite laborious build up play, the strikers are missing chances
Oh yeah definitely, like I said there’s clearly been some opportunities our strikers have missed which should have been put away but I think quite a few of them have been tricky angles or the ball’s bobbled around or the defence has made it awkward to get a clear shot away. I think it’s probably fine margins but I don’t completely blame our strikers, I definitely blame them somewhat but imo a lot of the time they’re not being given the easiest route to goal from our midfielders.

Users who are viewing this thread