Speedway Stadium Land (1 Viewer)

From what i hear, the site for the new stadium could be the current site of the Coventry Bees Speedway arena. Forget about the rights and wrongs and everything in-between, i have 1 simple question: Is it too far away? Its not in Coventry, but its close. Personally is till think it is too far away. The council dont want to do buisiness with SISU, and who could blame them, so this could be the closest thing to Coventry we have. I dont want to leave The Ricoh, dont get me wrong. Its our home. We left Highfield Road to go there. I dotn want the loss of that great stadium to be for nothing. But if worst comes to worst, is that plot too far away or is it in your range? This isnt about if you will go or not, its about is this plot of land too far or in range?

Otis

Traffic would be totally gridlocked.

Cannot see this getting past the application stage.

RogerH

Why should Coventry Bees and the very well supported Stock Car Racing be sacrificed to build Tim's Shed aka Stade de SISU

ashbyjan

So not satisfied with killing our club by moving it to Northampton for 4 or 5 years they now want to kill the speedway side as well - thank Christ they haven't heard we have ice hockey and rugby sides.

mark82

So not satisfied with killing our club by moving it to Northampton for 4 or 5 years they now want to kill the speedway side as well - thank Christ they haven't heard we have ice hockey and rugby sides.

Exactly. That would be my main objection. However, the stadium is for sale so it is a possibility.

Manchester_sky_blue

I thought the idea was to build adjacent to the speedway not on top of it? Its been a while since ive been to the speedway but from what I recall its a fairly big patch of land and i've not heard anything about the Bee's relocating elsewhere.

fernandopartridge

I thought the idea was to build adjacent to the speedway not on top of it? Its been a while since ive been to the speedway but from what I recall its a fairly big patch of land and i've not heard anything about the Bee's relocating elsewhere.

Yeah, there is quite a large bit of land in front of it, but, I don't think it would be sufficient for a stadium and appropriately wide walkways and car parking. You'd have to think the Speedway stadium would be demolished, which would be very sad for the Bees considering their pedigree.

Manchester_sky_blue

Yeah, there is quite a large bit of land in front of it, but, I don't think it would be sufficient for a stadium and appropriately wide walkways and car parking. You'd have to think the Speedway stadium would be demolished, which would be very sad for the Bees considering their pedigree.

Would indeed be very sad, a team of which Cov can actually be proud. I hadn't realised they were at risk as thought it was only the land up for sale, not the team itself.

kingharvest

From what i also hear, this is happening - but it doesn't mean they'll ever build the ground.

They need the land as part of hte smoke and mirrors to convince the FL to give them the golden share. In my opinion they'll never build on it. Its a bloody good investment anyway. Build a load of houses on it and they'll make a fortune!

ricohroar

1 road in lol set off 3 hours before if you want to park there. Also about 3 pubs within 2 mile radius, great cant wait :(

SkyBlueHomer

Why should Coventry Bees and the very well supported Stock Car Racing be sacrificed to build Tim's Shed aka Stade de SISU

Anyone who buys the land will have to honour the contracts these currently have. Can't find where I found it but I'm sure the Bee's recently signed a 4 year contract, not sure about the stox cars though

fernandopartridge

Anyone who buys the land will have to honour the contracts these currently have. Can't find where I found it but I'm sure the Bee's recently signed a 4 year contract, not sure about the stox cars though

4 years is nothing though, is it? It'd take a fair bit of time to get PP for a housing estate anyway. It would also allow for the property market to recover.

wingy

Sure I read in one of the Articles there is a slight matter of an HMRC charge on It . May be wrong but SISU would be perfect for getting MR Sandhu out of that one!!:thinking about::facepalm:

bamalamafizzfazz

Only a 10-15 minute walk for me so if it happened wouldn't object too strongly. However it would be a nightmare for traffic. Local residents would strongly object though.

For the original question, I don't actually think it's too far. Surely the Brandon Road up to TGIs is still classed as Coventry boundary so it's not that much further.

It's not like the Ricoh is only five minutes from Bedworth either, hey?

chiefdave

can't imagine SISU would think twice about turfing out the bees or anything else that goes on up there. I know some people have said they have a contract to race there for a certain number of years but SISU don't have a great track record with contracts!

kingharvest

Its not going to happen. They'll buy it, but they will never build a stadium on it. Its all part of the plan. Its just a convincer.

SkyBlueHomer

4 years is nothing though, is it? It'd take a fair bit of time to get PP for a housing estate anyway. It would also allow for the property market to recover.

Yes & how long did it get start to finish to get the Ricoh built?
The key is though TF has stated that the stadium will be built in 3 years. Also we have to prove to the FL that we have firm plans to move back to Coventry, based on these facts we cannot fulfil their requirements.
Will the FL have the balls to make to correct and honourable decision?

covboy1987

From what i hear, the site for the new stadium could be the current site of the Coventry Bees Speedway arena. Forget about the rights and wrongs and everything in-between, i have 1 simple question: Is it too far away? Its not in Coventry, but its close. Personally is till think it is too far away. The council dont want to do buisiness with SISU, and who could blame them, so this could be the closest thing to Coventry we have. I dont want to leave The Ricoh, dont get me wrong. Its our home. We left Highfield Road to go there. I dotn want the loss of that great stadium to be for nothing. But if worst comes to worst, is that plot too far away or is it in your range? This isnt about if you will go or not, its about is this plot of land too far or in range?

Planning permission, local resident's objections, traffic chaos, would take longer than 3 years and it would never happen - what happened to the SISU premiership dream speedway stadium would be too small.

Paxman II

I don't know if this would ever come to fruition but the idea of a new stadium that included a speedway track I like. It would certainly add to the income streams?!
Brandon is as good as Coventry as far as I'm concerned. People have no qualms getting to the speedway so I don't think football would be any different. The ground around it would make for some great parking too.

wingy

I don't know if this would ever come to fruition but the idea of a new stadium that included a spee Reply With Quotedway track I like. It would certainly add to the income streams?!
Brandon is as good as Coventry as far as I'm concerned. People have no qualms getting to the speedway so I don't think football would be any different. The ground around it would make for some great parking too.

We could rebrand ............Call ourselves "The Shalemen".:facepalm:

Johnnythespider

It's ok, Timmy has a cunning plan, when the land is purchased he will simply increase the bees rent to a ridiculous level compared to the elite league average. This will then force the Bees into a rent strike, Oh......................................!!!!!!!

J

Jack Griffin

I don't know if this would ever come to fruition but the idea of a new stadium that included a speedway track I like. It would certainly add to the income streams?!

That ranks amongst the most stupid of stupid comments from planet stupid.

If that idea was sane then where are the other clubs proposing similar joint sport venues?

And I note you are happy to see Brandon developed beyond reasonable limits, devalue property, destroy the peace and calm and essential character of the area.. why not put a car park on Binley Woods, its only a few trees for heavens sake, the hedge fund owners don't have to live there and you live in the Cotswolds, so its alright..

Last edited by a moderator:
I live quite near it and I can tell you it won't happen.

I'd be amazed if it happens, I live in Binley and drive past the speedway every day. The stretch of the A46 from the TGI Island down to Tollbar Island is rammed for large parts of the day. Match days would be absolute carnage with only the one way into Brandon through Binley Woods.

Paxman II

That ranks amongst the most stupid of stupid comments from planet stupid.

If that idea was sane then where are the other clubs proposing similar joint sport venues?

And I note you are happy to see Brandon developed beyond reasonable limits, devalue property, destroy the peace and calm and essential character of the area.. why not put a car park on Binley Woods, its only a few trees for heavens sake, the hedge fund owners don't have to live there and you live in the Cotswolds, so its alright..

Keep a lid on it Jack, I laid doubt on it, I never said I wanted it.
I was commenting on the scenario of a stadium being used more to generate income streams which is the whole point is it not? Wembley use to hold speedway, the Millennium does now. Footfall is obviously a factor in any decision making. The Ricoh for example has a few contractors and lease holders who will not be happy at losing the footfall from Coventry City FC and will no doubt become a major factor for ACL.
My other point was simply to say Brandon to all intense and purposes is Coventry and in the scheme of things no more hassle to get to than the Ricoh. Now planning and roads as they stand would be an issue. If you can hold speedway in that spot I don't buy your argument about residents? How long has a stadium been at Brandon? that would figure heavily against residents living in housing built well after the stadium existed on account residents knew a stadium existed before buying a home there.

Just sayin' ;)

Users who are viewing this thread