Star Wars (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Is it just me who isn't really fussed about Star Wars at all?

Nick

Administrator
I don't think I have ever seen one, not really into space type stuff. (Although I loved Space Balls as a kid)

giphy.gif

ajsccfc

I don't think you're alone, a lot of people either just aren't fans or will be put off by the relentless hype.

I'm not a sci-fi man in general but Star Wars is my lifelong exception. Never bothered with the Phantom Menace, mind you.

jimmyhillsfanclub

First film I ever watched in the cinema back in 1977.....I fell asleep.....and so began my complete dis-interest in pretty much all things sci-fi....

Otis

Is it just me who isn't really fussed about Star Wars at all?
Nope.

I love sci-fi and always loved Harrison Ford (Blade Runner, Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan), but the clips I saw made it just look like cowboys and Indians in space, so I gave it a miss.

Then finally got round to watching the first one and thought it was absolutely dreadful, really awful and cheesy and dumb.

Cos of the hype though I watched the second and third ones and thought they were excellent, but then after that there were some right clunkers again.

Would watch the new one, but only when it comes to Sky Movies.

mechaishida

Always had more time for Star Trek than Star Wars, tbh. Some people adore Star Wars, some find it cheesy and just weird.

Star Trek is/was as camp as Christmas sometimes, but it has always been superior. In my misguided opinion, anyway.

Otis

Always had more time for Star Trek than Star Wars, tbh. Some people adore Star Wars, some find it cheesy and just weird.

Star Trek is/was as camp as Christmas sometimes, but it has always been superior. In my misguided opinion, anyway.
Yes, agree. Star Trek always seemed to have a bit more intelligence about it at times, while I think Star Wars was just created as a boys yarn.

Otis

Love Star Wars I'm very excited as is my 8 year old boy although 12a??????

12a these days can mean a blowjob, lots of F words and a couple of eyes being gouged out, so maybe best keep your boy away.

The last thing you want him to see is Han Solo going down on Chewbacca.

Johnnythespider

12a these days can mean a blowjob, lots of F words and a couple of eyes being gouged out, so maybe best keep your boy away.

The last thing you want him to see is Han Solo going down on Chewbacca.

You never know

e90bed4d59973abd9ba4744e1e963423.jpg

J

Jack Griffin

If it is uber-hyped it is probably not as good as all that.

I'll can wait till it comes on TV.

Terry Gibson's perm

I love it but Disney will wring the life out of it as its all about the cash for them, hope they never buy the rights to Fawlty Towers

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
You're not alone in your disinterest Nick. I can't stand sci-fi in any form. Give me a good thriller any day (e.g. Taken, Reservoir Dogs etc). My missus doesn't mind sci fi, but not to the extent that she goes out of her way to watch it. She's more into stuff like Tolkien - which I also absolutely loathe!

Liquid Gold

I think they're ok but I've just never understood how people love them so much, maybe people who first saw it in the 70s and loved the special effects, but people just seem to fucking love Star wars way too much

Otis

I think they're ok but I've just never understood how people love them so much, maybe people who first saw it in the 70s and loved the special effects, but people just seem to fucking love Star wars way too much

I have a friend who watches a Star Wars film once a week, every week, come rain or shine and he's been doing it now for 20 years or more.

When you look at stuff like Blade Runner, it still looks futuristic and really stands the test of time in terms of music, look, feel, set design etc. The first Star Wars film is incredibly dated, has really terrible naff music (i.e. the alien jazz band), plastic monsters and is just plain cheesy and naff.

wingy

Yeah I don't get it either.
It's become a type of cult no doubt fueled by hype the media seem only too happy to oblige.

wingy

I have a friend who watches a Star Wars film once a week, every week, come rain or shine and he's been doing it now for 20 years or more.

When you look at stuff like Blade Runner, it still looks futuristic and really stands the test of time in terms of music, look, feel, set design etc. The first Star Wars film is incredibly dated, has really terrible naff music (i.e. the alien jazz band), plastic monsters and is just plain cheesy and naff.
Ha, know a lad who watches Braveheart every week, cries every time hehe. :-o

Terry Gibson's perm

Ah Otis the old I have a friend

chiefdave

Think that's pretty much it, when the first one was released it like nothing that had been seen before so it became a big deal and then snowballed from there.

musicmanskyblue

Agree about Blade Runner.. still looks pretty good today, good story, unique atmosphere etc.. Dune (the book) by Frank Herbert.. Was good too.

Happy_Martian

Booked the day off work so I could see the movie this morning (9.45am showing and not the silly past midnight ones). Odeon said they had 5 booked out auditoriums at midnight showing the film in 2D and 3D. My attendance had only a dozen people in the auditorium.

Won't go into spoilers here (PM me if you want to discuss) but I can safely say that for Star Wars fans, there is something for everyone. Well designed space battles, thrilling lightsaber fights. The old characters will make you smile (and shed a tear), the new characters have enough about them to interest you. The robots are as potty as always. Watching the Millennium Falcon taildrift through some turns on a planets surface will make your adrenaline pump. There are just one or two elements that made me feel disappointed as I left the cinema.

For general Sci-fi fans, there is enough to satisfy a 2 hour film.

For those just wanting a traditional good story, please return to your cinema listings and pick again.

The fanboy in me wants to give this 9/10 but I'd have to be honest and drop that to 6/10 for the disappointments.

Otis

Booked the day off work so I could see the movie this morning (9.45am showing and not the silly past midnight ones). Odeon said they had 5 booked out auditoriums at midnight showing the film in 2D and 3D. My attendance had only a dozen people in the auditorium.

Won't go into spoilers here (PM me if you want to discuss) but I can safely say that for Star Wars fans, there is something for everyone. Well designed space battles, thrilling lightsaber fights. The old characters will make you smile (and shed a tear), the new characters have enough about them to interest you. The robots are as potty as always. Watching the Millennium Falcon taildrift through some turns on a planets surface will make your adrenaline pump. There are just one or two elements that made me feel disappointed as I left the cinema.

For general Sci-fi fans, there is enough to satisfy a 2 hour film.

For those just wanting a traditional good story, please return to your cinema listings and pick again.

The fanboy in me wants to give this 9/10 but I'd have to be honest and drop that to 6/10 for the disappointments.
Oooh, thrilling light sabre fights!! Wow! How mouthwatering.

Pipehitterz

i went to the 'silly' 12.01 am showing last night in broadway plaza birmingham
isense 3d , normal 3d and 2d screens all packed out with sweaty nerds

loved the film, awesome spoilers, original trilogy feel to it
i'd give it 8/10 , coiple of things i didnt like, the ending felt 'bolted on' and captain phasma was shit

other than that it was a rip roaring effort, and if youre a fan youll love it

Otis

i wish i was this cool otis, we do get it, you arent a fan
Just think there's a better way of selling it. ;)

As I said earlier on the thread I really liked the 2nd and 3rd films, the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, but I just can't understand all the hype, which is seemingly way, way over the top.

I'm sure this new film is good, but there have been just as many clunkers in the franchise as there has ones to be lauded.

ajsccfc

Oh shit, I just realised this paves the way for more Star Wars Lego games! NOW I'm legit hyped, while annoyed that it's the one merch item I didn't think of.

Users who are viewing this thread