Statement against the Council and ACL (1 Viewer)

Astute

Was it Sisu or previous boards who sold these rights?

We all know our club sold it for 6.5m before SISU arrived at our club.The problem is they could have bought it back for 5.5m as agreed. And they have lost more than the 5.5m it would have cost them trying to get it cheaper through lost income and ever rising legal costs. And if we spend another year in Northampton as it looks like we will that will be more millions lost.

They knew that it had been sold when they took over our club. It should have been one of the first things they sorted out. But they want everyone else to pay for their mistakes. What a bloody joke.

Sick Boy

But would put their income up by millions if they did so.

Also that of ACL. The club needs a share of the sponsorship, naming rights, parking etc to return. It benefits both the club & ACL if a deal can be done to somehow share this income. Both are cutting off their noses at present.

Astute

Also that of ACL. The club needs a share of the sponsorship, naming rights, parking etc to return. It benefits both the club & ACL if a deal can be done to somehow share this income. Both are cutting off their noses at present.

We all agree on this. But for it to happen there needs to be negotiations. And we all know who is giving the orders on what they want and are not interested in negotiating. Until this changes the stupid situation we find ourselves in won't change.

And on the subject of due diligence. Fell for it myself last night. Was our wedding anniversary. So we had a rare night out together without the kids. After choosing what we were having for dinner we looked at the drinks menu. The wife decided on a Pink Lady whilst I had a Peroni. I was happy with the Peroni but said to the wife that she could have any bottle she wanted. She chose Taittinger without looking at the drinks list again. I ordered another bottle when she had nearly finished the first one with another glass so I could join her. We ended up having a third bottle. Thought my eyesight had totally gone when we got the bill. £150 a bottle :eek:

I suppose I should have refused to pay the bill and move to Northampton until they gave me the Hotel ;)

italiahorse

You dont speak for anyone - if you like Italia I will start a thread purely about you - your panchant for insulting felliw fans and your previous adulation for all things sisu. It won't make pleasant reading - for you.

You might as well start the thread as you have long exhausted anything interesting to say. However you won't because the material you mention only exists in your imagination.

torchomatic

Reserves don't play there, do they? Apart from Cup games (and friendlies, I guess) then all the other stuff doesn't have anything to do with CCFC, does it?

Does that include reserve games, Women's games, various cup games, European games, friendlies, etc...

Sick Boy

We all agree on this. But for it to happen there needs to be negotiations. And we all know who is giving the orders on what they want and are not interested in negotiating. Until this changes the stupid situation we find ourselves in won't change.

This applies to both SISU & ACL.

It seems that there is a distinct lack of trust on both sides, this is why there needs to be pressure applied to both parties to return to the negotiating table. I think that everyone agrees that in an ideal world we would have new owners, and i am sure that they would like to get out as well. In order for this to be achieved that though, ACL need to make major concessions, I cannot imagine that any other potential owner(s) would be interested in the past rental offers from ACL.

mighty quinn

I read this in the comments section of an article on the sky blue trust website and thought it was interesting. What does everybody else think?

"First and foremost the club should be playing in Coventry and I unite with all supporters in wanting this to happen. However, I DO NOT blame SISU (Otium) entirely for this sorry state of affairs. I agree that they are the wrong type of owners to be in charge, and even they admit they made mistakes when they first took over.

Supporters forget that they bailed out the club twice paying £60 million pounds to keep the club in existence. If you were a business person putting that amount of money in to rescue the club would you walk away? I think not. The financial difficulties of the club go back to when Richardson virtually condemned the club to go down. His famous quote before we were relegated from the top division was "The best thing to happen for this club is to go down and rebuild". In my opinion, an appalling comment. Since then before SISU took over, the club was continuing to lose money at the prestige Ricoh Arena because attendances were below the 21000 magic figure at most home games. Many of those same supporters who regularly shout SISU OUT are the same ones that failed to support the club when we were playing less attractive teams contributing to the losses being made at many home games.

On top of this Coventry City Council and ACL continued to milk the club dry by charging extortionate rents at the same rate despite going down two divisions. There was no sympathy from the Council and little support for their own football club. It took the Council a lot of persuasion to allow the Coventry City badge to be displayed on the outer walls of the Ricoh in the first place. On top of that they hired private contractors for catering companies at the Ricoh preventing SISU from getting any profits from food and drink - unlike many other stadiums around the country. One of the reasons why SISU are not returning at the moment is because our beloved Council and ACL are tied into contracts with these catering companies for the foreseeable future. Another example of this Councils viciousness was to price out the Coventry City ladies team having to play at Walsall for their final game. The Council and ACL were going to charge them £5000 for a match day fee. They couldn't afford that sort of money , and the Council and ACL knew it. Another example of financial profit before support for our local sides playing in our own stadium.

Most away games I have been to I hear "we want SISU out, we want SISU out" that's ok - but what is the alternative? Who is going to take over the club to fulfil the fixtures. I wouldn't rely on Coventry City Council. Many of them shouting this follow on like sheep with their friends and shout it for the sake of it without asking themselves "then what" ? SISU have been under so much stick from supporters that one must ask why they have not abandoned the club. They have not done so because they obviously want to stick by the club learning from their mistakes and develop the club for the future.

Every pundit on TV I have seen has said that the club must own it's own stadium. With Coventry City Councils stubbornness and abdication of their support for the club this clearly is not going to happen at the Ricoh Arena. Therefore SISU Otium have every right to say "stuff the Ricoh and we will build our own stadium" with a realistic capacity to reflect the usual maximum of 18000 supporters that we occasionally got at the Ricoh Arena. It is not the case that SISU want the Ricoh on the cheap. They want to own it at market value - not the ridiculous potentially illegal blocking of a £14 million pound mortgage using council tax payers money. Renting is no good, as we would be back to square one within a few years.

May I suggest that instead of firing on all cylinders at SISU all future protest marches should be directed at Anne Lucas and should take place outside the Council House in Coventry . This should have been done ages ago. There was a protest last Saturday by a small group of only 35 supporters. As for me, I have just bought my season ticket for further "away" matches at Sixfields next season in support of my sky blue team. Its not supporting SISU. It's in protest against Coventry City Council and ACL."
Good statement. Poor decision regarding season ticket though.

Sick Boy

Reserves don't play there, do they? Apart from Cup games (and friendlies, I guess) then all the other stuff doesn't have anything to do with CCFC, does it?

I seem to remember that ACL were originally against the club's badge being put on the side of the stadium. Wasn't there a big fuss when Paul Fletcher put up the badge without permission?

lewys33

I have no issue with a company putting 40mill in to a business and expecting a return ......

That is IF they do an ounce of decent business to get that 40mill back. I don't think they deserve a return if they walk in to a failing business, and continue to fail themselves.

J

Jack Griffin

I seem to remember that ACL were originally against the club's badge being put on the side of the stadium. Wasn't there a big fuss when Paul Fletcher put up the badge without permission?

I think this was down to Fletcher forcing the issue by putting the sign up in without full planning permission full knowledge that no one would be stupid enough to order him to take it down.. it was all in the Cov Telegraph & did not happen as you suggest, especially as Fletcher was CEO of ACL at that time, so how could they be against it? I think maybe it was proving impossible to get anyone at the council to say yes in any reasonable time frame..

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/council-turn-blind-eye-ricoh-3127632

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyblueweeman

We all know our club sold it for 6.5m before SISU arrived at our club.The problem is they could have bought it back for 5.5m as agreed. And they have lost more than the 5.5m it would have cost them trying to get it cheaper through lost income and ever rising legal costs. And if we spend another year in Northampton as it looks like we will that will be more millions lost.

They knew that it had been sold when they took over our club. It should have been one of the first things they sorted out. But they want everyone else to pay for their mistakes. What a bloody joke.

It was a genuine question Astute...re-reading, it looks like a leading question but it wasn't intended that way. I was genuniely unsure. That's all :)

WM

NorthernWisdom

I think this was down to Fletcher forcing the issue by putting the sign up in without full planning permission full knowledge that no one would be stupid enough to order him to take it down.. it was all in the Cov Telegraph & did not happen as you suggest, especially as Fletcher was CEO of ACL at that time, so how could they be against it? I think maybe it was proving impossible to get anyone at the council to say yes in any reasonable time frame..

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/council-turn-blind-eye-ricoh-3127632

He'd left ACL by the time the badge went up.

NorthernWisdom

Oh right he was MD of CCFC.. but nevertheless I think the story implies issue was with CCC/planning regs not ACL..

At the time, there was a big thing about how the management company didn't want CCFC branding all over the place. We'd been stymied twice really, because neither did McGinnity(!) but by that stage Fletcher was definitely pushing the line that there was no co-operation from the management company - I'll find you some detail later, but so far I can only find his quote on leaving that "The Football club cannot survive under the current regime. It cannot survive when it pays a cost of four million pounds of its income each year into the company called ACL" and, well, we've done that to death ;)

J

Jack Griffin

At the time, there was a big thing about how the management company didn't want CCFC branding all over the place. We'd been stymied twice really, because neither did McGinnity(!) but by that stage Fletcher was definitely pushing the line that there was no co-operation from the management company - I'll find you some detail later, but so far I can only find his quote on leaving that "The Football club cannot survive under the current regime. It cannot survive when it pays a cost of four million pounds of its income each year into the company called ACL" and, well, we've done that to death ;)

Seems like a pity SISU didn't read that story.:)

It is also a pity that PF was party to the original deal set up with CCFC as CEO of ACL.

Last edited by a moderator:

James Smith

I actually thought it was the council that wouldn't allow it and were stalling the planning permission. ACL allowed the badge to go up regardless and then both them and the club got into trouble over it. Memory not what it once was though and may be wrong.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread