Stephen Fry 'quits' Twitter (1 Viewer)

Otis

'Twitter user Wendy Evans was one of many others who felt Fry overstepped the mark when she wrote: "Stephen Fry's 'bag lady' comment was vile. Once again the achievement's of a female overshadowed by comments on her appearance."

FFS. It's laughable really.

Otis

Bafta show host Stephen Fry appears to have deleted his Twitter profile in the wake of his controversial comments during Sunday night's show.
Fry faced strong criticism online for comparing costume designer Jenny Beavan to a "bag lady" when she picked up her Bafta for Mad Max.

Twitter users demanded Fry apologise for his comments over her clothes. But Fry, a prolific Twitter user, said online afterwards Beavan was "a dear friend" who had "got" the joke.

The comedian and broadcaster underlined the point by posting a photo of the pair at the Bafta after-party.

He wrote: "Jenny Baglady Beavan and Stephen Outrageous Misogynist Swine Fry at the after party."

Beavan, who won the Bafta for Best Costume Design for Mad Max: Fury Road, came onto the stage at London's Royal Opera House wearing a black leather jacket, white t-shirt and dark trousers.

After her acceptance speech and she had left the stage, Fry said: "Only one of the great cinematic costume designers would come to the awards dressed like a bag lady."

The joke however was not well-received and Twitter was soon alight with angry reaction and demands that Fry apologise.

Twitter user Wendy Evans was one of many others who felt Fry overstepped the mark when she wrote: "Stephen Fry's 'bag lady' comment was vile. Once again the achievement's of a female overshadowed by comments on her appearance."
But Fry hit back by first posting the photo of himself and Beavan at the party and then by angrily telling his critics they were "tragic people".

Nonetheless, Fry also received support from others, including several celebrities.

Radio 1 Scott Mills DJ wrote: "I thought Stephen Fry was an excellent host tonight. Dealing with the biggest stars in the world is scary. I find this. He is a natural."

Comedian Matt Lucas joked: "Stephen Fry Didn't you get the memo? No-one is allowed to do jokes anymore."

On Monday morning, following the sudden shutdown of Fry's Twitter account, calls to his agent were not answered.

Captain Dart

He wouldn't last 1 second on this forum. It isn't advised for the sensitive soul.

Otis

True.

It is ridiculous these days though. How can a joke like that be considered vile?

As he is bi-polar, Fry obviously is sensitive, but this unfortunately is quite the norm these days, especially people getting offended on other people's behalf.

Nick

Administrator
He does employ somebody. They alert people in advance what he is tweeting about.

I don't get him or find him funny :(

I did watch his documentary about thoughts about homosexuality, was shocking.

Grendel

True.

It is ridiculous these days though. How can a joke like that be considered vile?

As he is bi-polar, Fry obviously is sensitive, but this unfortunately is quite the norm these days, especially people getting offended on other people's behalf.

I doubt his bi polar extends to his twitter script writing team.

Also it surfaces most when challenged and then the challenger normally receives a load of offensive bile in return.

Otis

Knew this would go off tangent. This thread was supposed to be less about Stephen Fry and more about the 'moral' outrage that at times is just ludicrous.

What is vile about what he said last night? Very mild joke and a joke about a friend and a friend who got the joke

Yet people get outraged. Funny lot us humans.

Isn't life too short to be Tweeting angry retorts?

Joy Division

Lessons in Bi-Polar disorder from Grendel there. Thanks for that.

olderskyblue

Knew this would go off tangent. This thread was supposed to be less about Stephen Fry and more about the 'moral' outrage that at times is just ludicrous.

What is vile about what he said last night? Very mild joke and a joke about a friend and a friend who got the joke

On first hearing, it was cringeworthy, but probably stating what most were thinking...

How many knew she was his "friend" and wouldn't be offended by it before they tweeted, I wonder...

bringbackrattles

Sounds a bit over the top especially when they're mates ? I've worked on building sites and things said to each other there these days would probably get everyone sacked now !

olderskyblue

And what about Rebel Wilson's speech...

(Now, that's off tangent)

Otis

Not really off tangent to suggest that someone quitting twitter when they're not really 'on' it other than lending their name to an employee doesn't smack particularly of moral hurt and outrage from the perspective of the quittee.
Off tangent because I wasn't particularly talking about Stephen Fry and was talking about how upset people are getting over things that aren't worth getting upset over.

olderskyblue

Going off tangent here but did you enjoy the service Friday night ? Me and my mate got in just as it started,so our seats were taken and had to stand at the back. Enjoyed it though !

Thought it was excellent. Planning to listen to the CWR broadcast when I get time. Finding somewhere to eat afterwards was a challenge... Wetherspoons came to the rescue. :)

The guy at the door was asked for, and gave out spare tickets as we went in... seems a lot that intended to watch from outside got in. We managed to get tickets for all our lot in the end, thanks to you and a couple of others on here.

Otis

...such as Stephen Fry.

Point is NW, I would have posted this whoever it was and whoever had said it. Whoever had said that last night and got that response, I would have made a comment about it on here. It's not because it's Stephen Fry.

bringbackrattles

Thought it was excellent. Planning to listen to the CWR broadcast when I get time. Finding somewhere to eat afterwards was a challenge... Wetherspoons came to the rescue. :)

The guy at the door was asked for, and gave out spare tickets as we went in... seems a lot that intended to watch from outside got in. We managed to get tickets for all our lot in the end, thanks to you and a couple of others on here.
Glad my spare ticket came to good use then.The reason we got in late was because my pal insisted on having another pint in Weatherspoons,so just to be civil of course I said okay then get me one in !

NorthernWisdom

Point is NW, I would have posted this whoever it was and whoever had said it. Whoever had said that last night and got that response, I would have made a comment about it on here. It's not because it's Stephen Fry.

...and isn't it interesting (and on topic) about how upset he's getting over things that aren't worth getting upset over.

As evidenced by him not even being particularly hands on with his social media presence.

Otis

...and isn't it interesting (and on topic) about how upset he's getting over things that aren't worth getting upset over.

As evidenced by him not even being particularly hands on with his social media presence.

Maybe.

Maybe he should just treat it like water off a ducks back. I am on Twitter, but very rarely use it.

oakey

People tell jokes. Nearly every joke that is funny is insulting someone or something, even if it's only an idea. The degree of the insult is judged by many things, context, person who made the joke, audience etc.
People get offended by jokes sometimes and we decide whether to apologise or let it go. Twitter seems designed for such outspoken offence give and take.
As with most Twitter storms it's a storm in a teacup.
Fry is outspoken and very funny to many people. He seems at the opposite end of the spectrum to Jeremy Clarkson. I prefer Fry, but they are both pompous arses, which isn't a crime so use the off switch as I do when Clarkson is on (and Alexander Armstrong, for other reasons!)
If we want to live in a free society we have to tolerate views we don't agree with.

speedie87

i note jacob murphy's twitter account no longer exists i expect stupid so called city fans have forced him off too

Liquid Gold

The right to not be offending is becoming more important than the right to freedom of speech and that is a very dangerous precedent. I agree that anything blatantly racist, sexist or homophobic etc shouldn't be acceptable as it encourages outdated prejudice but for a simple joke about a dress the reaction is ridiculous. I also think feminism (which still has a part to play as there are still issues of gender inequality) is given a bad name by people who should patriarchy at any opportunity.I guess this all comes in with the social media age, people becoming outraged at something they didn't see, or weren't aware of at the time, by the biased reporting that is easily accessible.

Liquid Gold

i note jacob murphy's twitter account no longer exists i expect stupid so called city fans have forced him off too

If thats true then some of our fans need to take a fucking look at themselves, abusing a young kid starting out in football would be bad enough as it is even if he wasn't one of our biggest sources of goals this season.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'm bi-polar. I like people from the North Pole and I like people from the South Pole. ;)

Otis

If you were the chief purchaser at a zoo and you were looking for a bear you might buy polar.

Taxi!!!!

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread