Steve Davis - A Candidate? (1 Viewer)

Have to say that i think we have been out thought tactically by Crewe in each of the last 3 matches, and for me , Davis is exactly the type of manager we should be looking for.The reality of our current situation is that we are a mid table league one club , who next season (and subsequent seasons) are likely to be further restrained by FFP and be reliant on home grown talent and finding potential "gems" that have been released from other clubs , something Crewe have done brilliantly over the years.

In just under 18 months he has overseen a long winning streak to get into the league 2 play-offs, gaining promotion and unfortunately at our expense , earned another trip to Wembley in the Paint Pot Cup, anything like that level of achievement here would achieve messiah like status(as we have been so starved of any success in the last 15-16 years)

I think given our current situation, coupled with a real lack of any stand out credible candidates among the usual dross being linked maybe he would be a good appointment.

Oh and for those obsessed with % stats, his win ratio is around 45%

Nonleagueherewecome

Hmm, interesting...very interesting.

He did very well with Nantwich, but still couldn't get them promoted despite a goal-machine in Michael Lennon...

cafc83

Are you joking mate he took Nantwich to two consecutive promotions, the most successful period in the club's history. That's how he got the crewe job, last year was his third successive promotion as manager.

Del Boy 82

Personally I rate him, need a manager who no's league 1 an good at getting free transfers! We need to accept where we are now an not our past.

wingy

Would have been a good idea ,if before our current run against them ,even if it was designed to upset their routine.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I wouldn't mind having him as our manager.

Sets his team up well against the opposition albeit not always playing attractive football.

Knows when to change things (like today) and has had a good teacher behind him in Gradi

I wouldn't complain if we got him (as unlikely as it is)

CJparker

Nantwich do have a bit of money behind them, including a new stadium, and it may be that Dario Gradi is helping him a lot tactics-wise....but, Davis as a candidate was mentioned by at least one City fan I spoke to today.

How sweet revenge it would be to nick their manager!

Crewe

He'll move eventually, he's a very sought after manager and his achievements are certainly not going unnoticed by a lot of bigger clubs. He has a big future in the game and our recent success is 100% down to him. I don't think his move would be to another league 1 club.

I know he wants to do bigger things with Crewe and that is taking us back to the Championship, he's very ambitious.

Crewe

Nantwich do have a bit of money behind them, including a new stadium, and it may be that Dario Gradi is helping him a lot tactics-wise....but, Davis as a candidate was mentioned by at least one City fan I spoke to today.

How sweet revenge it would be to nick their manager!

Dario has ZERO involvement with the 1st team these days. The last couple of times we've had new managers and he's stuck his nose in have been disastrous!

Nonleagueherewecome

Are you joking mate he took Nantwich to two consecutive promotions, the most successful period in the club's history. That's how he got the crewe job, last year was his third successive promotion as manager.

Yeah but couldn't get them out of the Unibond Premier, could he?

cafc83

What's that about imitation and flattery? Funny how we are such a shite, lucky outfit and yet you want our manager. Maybe your true feelings about the four games this season are somewhat different from those that have been presented on this forum.

Nonleagueherewecome

I'd rather have Jimmy White.

cafc83

By the way he's from brum and has links with the blues. Lee Clark's a good man and manager and hope he turns things round and we keep Davis.

Nonleagueherewecome

Nah, Lee Clark isn't a good manager, obviously..he just got lucky with having a goal-machine too good for his level in Rhodes at Huddersfield.

CJparker

Dario has ZERO involvement with the 1st team these days. The last couple of times we've had new managers and he's stuck his nose in have been disastrous!

Oh right, I thought it was like when Steve Holland and the Icelander were in charge (successively), Dario was picking the team still from upstairs wasn't he?

Didn't he then make a comeback as full-time manager for a bit, until Davis came in?

Nonleagueherewecome

Davis was initially brought in as Dario's assistant, if I recall?

cafc83

Correct, he was. Dario did not interfere with either holland or thordasson's management. Steve h went because he spent a load of money on players and wages that didn't really pay off. Thordasson was a typical clay head hoof ball merchant who didn't pick any youth players. Dario has no involvement with first team decision making unless it is requested by Steve D.

Nonleagueherewecome

Ah but without Thordasson would you have got the wonderful Gylfi on loan?

Tank Top

Why on earth?
Would an up and coming manager. leave a league one club, and join another, especially one with its Dirty washing blowing in the wind for the whole world to contemplate, the reasons for Robins departure are still in place, with the impasse getting more deep seated as the days go by. Imagine the candidate at the Interview asking, "Is the future of the club secure" Fisher "search me" Candidate, "Can I have a transfer budget" Fisher " Err Next Question" Candidate "Can I hang on to the better players as a base to build on" Fisher " don't ask questions that don't concern you Close the door on your way out". A track suited Oggy walks in, "Don't worry boss there's always Me"

no I sit in the GRE behind the goal have done since I was 6, go 30 games a season for the last 5 years, but missed Wednesday as I was holiday but I was at your place on Saturday! good game!

not a chance! the clubs at his heart! he would only go to championship! or a big club like sheff utd (successful)ish unlike yourselfs. you were a big club, still are but on a smaller scale due to your decline

Grendel

Why on earth?
Would an up and coming manager. leave a league one club, and join another, especially one with its Dirty washing blowing in the wind for the whole world to contemplate, the reasons for Robins departure are still in place, with the impasse getting more deep seated as the days go by. Imagine the candidate at the Interview asking, "Is the future of the club secure" Fisher "search me" Candidate, "Can I have a transfer budget" Fisher " Err Next Question" Candidate "Can I hang on to the better players as a base to build on" Fisher " don't ask questions that don't concern you Close the door on your way out". A track suited Oggy walks in, "Don't worry boss there's always Me"

Funny. Of course as mark robins has said any budget issues were caused by the continued disgraceful actions of the council and not by fisher.

Users who are viewing this thread