Steven Caulker and mental illness (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

Did anyone read his interview in The Guardian with Dominic Fifield? It was very moving and he spoke about how he's been struggling with gambling, addiction and mental illness. On one occasion he describes where he wanted to take his own life. It must be hard when people think you have it all, the fame and lots of money, but inside his head he's worthless

It's worth a read Steven Caulker: ‘I’ve sat here for years hating myself … This year was almost the end’

Nick

Administrator
Again it shows that mental illness is something that can strike anywhere no matter how rich or physically fit people are and that money doesn't instantly sort it.

There must be a better way to help than sending them to rehab, this bit shows why people won't go.

I’ve spoken to so many players who have been told to go to the Sporting Chance clinic and they’ve refused because they know, if they take time off, they’ll lose their place in the team. Someone steps in and does well, so you’re gone. That dissuades people from getting help. You feel obliged to get on with things.

It's not as if it's an ache in their arm where they can hold off until pre season and go for an op :(

Maybe he can get a club where he can settle and have people around him to help.

vow

Interesting piece, hope he gets the support he needs. Still only 25 too, has plenty of time yet.

Users who are viewing this thread