Match Thread Stoke City - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 17th Feb (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

They're in an automatic promotion place with a game in hand.

I thought they were running away with the league based on what people are saying on here.

SBbucks

Wrexham were good but are hardly pulling up trees in League 2.

People are talking like Wrexham ripped us apart. The reality was we couldn’t cope with their long throws and set pieces, which from memory accounted for 3 of their goals. Most of our defenders looked like they had never seen a long throw. Wrexham were clinging on for dear life for most of the second half yet people making out they were prime Barcelona.
We couldn’t cope with one aspect of their game but let’s not use them as a yardstick for the average non-league team.

pusbccfc

People are talking like Wrexham ripped us apart. The reality was we couldn’t cope with their long throws and set pieces, which from memory accounted for 3 of their goals. Most of our defenders looked like they had never seen a long throw. Wrexham were clinging on for dear life for most of the second half yet people making out they were prime Barcelona.
We couldn’t cope with one aspect of their game but let’s not use them as a yardstick for the average non-league team.

They were very good that day against a weakened side. They were also great against Sheffield United the following games.

We had to bring on Hamer and Vik and still couldn't beat them.

pusbccfc

Well it’s a comparison to how Maidstone would fare in League 2. How do you think they would do?

Would get torn to pieces but that's across a season. This is the biggest game in their history.

My point is, we played a strong, but weakened side against Maidstone and struggled. People are suggesting playing kids next Monday. We didn't even do that last year. We didn't even do that when we got beat by AFC Wimbledon. When he played 2/3 kids against League 2 Northampton 3 years ago we lost then.

By no means am I suggesting Maidstone are at the level of these sides but I'm not convinced Robins is going to suddenly throw in Andrews, Stretton and Lusala to start.

David O'Day

Would get torn to pieces but that's across a season. This is the biggest game in their history.

My point is, we played a strong, but weakened side against Maidstone and struggled. People are suggesting playing kids next Monday. We didn't even do that last year. We didn't even do that when we got beat by AFC Wimbledon. When he played 2/3 kids against League 2 Northampton 3 years ago we lost then.

By no means am I suggesting Maidstone are at the level of these sides but I'm not convinced Robins is going to suddenly throw in Andrews, Stretton and Lusala to start.
The level of team is likely to be say a fab tav - godden- palmer front 3

procdoc

No, in 8 days

There’s arguably only 2-3 first choice players in there. Obviously any team we put out “should” win but you increase the odds of an upset massively by playing players who haven’t played much and certainly haven’t played much together.

Imagine if we went 1-0 down. You think the likes of Lusala, Andrews and Tavares will have the confidence to not panic?
You’re talking as though they’re little children. They are professional footballers so I don’t think they would panic

LastGarrison

Looking to traìn our way around. How are they ?
They’re fine but worth spending the extra couple of quid for ‘first class’.

However, you need to be booking them in advance (you can do this online) and sometimes up to two weeks in advance as they get booked up very quickly.

Otherwise you’re looking at very long bus journeys. As we found out to our peril.

Sounds stupid and obvious but don’t underestimate the size of the country and the time it takes to get from place to place.

Depending on how long you’re there and what you intend to do and see then internal flights are definitely a good option. IndiGo were excellent.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Andrews and Lusala are first team players in the first team squad most weeks. Lusala is 21, not 15. He is a man. He’s a year younger than Simms and Thomas. Andrews is only 17 but again has been on the pitch as a first team player.

Am I going mad here? If you can’t play one U21 in a team of 11 against Maidstone when can you?

People acting like I’m suggesting we field a full team of U11s. Half that side started our last Championship game!
No, they are U21 regulars. An U21 team that this season is languishing very near the bottom of their league.

shmmeee

No, they are U21 regulars. An U21 team that this season is languishing very near the bottom of their league.

Well we’d better not play the whole team then. How about say 6 of those that started last match, plus maybe our second top scorer, our captain, and a bloke who has tore up every team in the competition so far?

Como

Not a good performance against Stoke but good enough to see of Maidstone.

I expect we will field the strongest team practical.

Grendel

They beat Ipswich a few weeks ago and we lost to Wrexham last season - we really need to be looking at whether a forfeit might be possible before it gets embarrassing.

Well you suggesting playing Rus - I doubt you’ve seen him or Andrews have you?

skybluelee

Wrexham were far beyond the level that Maidstone are. I watch my local team, Weymouth, from time to time who play in the same league.

Ipswich reserves on another day would have won their game 8-2.

Provided we play something along the lines of 5 first teamers and fill the rest with fringe players we win comfortably in 2nd gear.

Astute

Just as we’ll do with Maidstone.

Notice people are trying way too hard to be respectful towards a fan of theirs on here. Bit sickly tbh.
Why treat people with disrespect when they're not disrespectful to yourself?

Astute

As usual this has gone from one extreme to another 😁

Saying don't take beating Maidstone for granted and don't put out a fully reserve side isn't saying they are a good side compared to ourselves.

But they can be dangerous on the break. The goals they got against Ipswich were very well taken. Both better than anything Stoke managed yesterday so they cannot be written off. Anyone who witnessed being beaten by Sutton will never take any game for granted.

Yes our second string should easily be good enough. But I've seen enough games over the years when we've been in total control yet lost to the only chance of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread