Match Thread Stoke City - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 17th Feb (8 Viewers)

Seaside-Skyblue

Robins really not happy about his squad size is he?
Yeah 80% of the interview on that very topic. Don't get wrong I know he's rarely comes across as a bundle of joy on interviews but he was quite pointy on that. Hope Torp is good for Friday.

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

steve101

Not a criticism but Collins is a far better all round keeper than Wilson.
Today, I felt happier with Wilson. His handling was good and he didn't fanny about at the back. Collins has been fortunate with his distribution and sometimes slows the game down unnecessarily (when we are level or behind).

rob9872

Not a criticism but Collins is a far better all round keeper than Wilson.
I'd say Collins much better at distribution and certainly with his feet. Wilson better on commanding his box. Both decent shot-stoppers. Collins edges it for me, but I'm never disappointed in either choice, however I do like to see a keeper with a run for them and the confidence of the defence. Chopping and changing keepers never good imo so whatever the decision, stick with it.

Astute

A thought on Tavares. Didn't see much of him from an attacking sense apart from a decent cross. However, I liked the way he kept the width and felt he did a good defensive job, good pressing and recovery runs. Played a part in the clean sheet. Better in that regard than Wright and Palmer.
Best cross of the match. Pinpoint on Wright's head.

Tou can't blame Palmer for today. We were already on the back foot. He was trying to take them all on alone most of the time. A couple of intelligent times he held up the ball instead of running into a dead end.

slowpoke

Wilson and Collins for different reasons are a bout equal, that’s why in the summer Robins will sign another keeper, maybe two

Mucca Mad Boys

A thought on Tavares. Didn't see much of him from an attacking sense apart from a decent cross. However, I liked the way he kept the width and felt he did a good defensive job, good pressing and recovery runs. Played a part in the clean sheet. Better in that regard than Wright and Palmer.

It was energetic which is what Robins was looking for in Sakamoto’s place. Without being harsh, the quality was lacking.

Perhaps Tavares should start against Maidstone. I was in the camp that he shouldn’t but today’s performance has influenced my opinion.

slowpoke

Best cross of the match. Pinpoint on Wright's head.

Tou can't blame Palmer for today. We were already on the back foot. He was trying to take them all on alone most of the time. A couple of intelligent times he held up the ball instead of running into a dead end.
It’s Palmers first touch & final ball that’s so frustrating and spoils him.

HadjiChippo

is our squad depth really that much worse than 70% of the clubs at this level? We brought Tavares back in today to deputise and he gave us a solid 5/6 out of 10. We’ve got 2 goalkeepers who could be number 1s for a few sides at this level. Our rotation in defence can leave us exposed at times but has been good enough to carry us through tough games.

It just seems most sides at this level are praying and hoping the 2 or 3 star players who carry them aren’t getting injured through the season and then filling the rest of the positions with whatever loanees/cheap transfers and frees they can sign.

EDIT: don’t know why that quoted you Brighton sky blue

slowpoke

Who chose the players we signed and tried to sign?
Everybody fit I think our squad and subs bench is okay and we can change tact if needs be.
How many are good enough for the PL, ? I’d say five outfield who hopefully be playing alongside better players.

Mucca Mad Boys

Robins really not happy about his squad size is he?

Probably not but he understands it’s an incremental process and he’s setting expectations with fans.

The FA Cup was probably increased the annoyance because it’s 4-5 extra games (assuming we beat Maidstone). With the games coming thick and fast it’s v difficult to manage the players workload. Particularly so when Allen and Sheaf drop down injured within 1-2 weeks of each other.

Bigger than last year, isn't it?

No, it’s actually smaller - 3 players down from last season ‘net’.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
I think when Robins goes on about squad depth, I’m sure he would like an extra one or two when we have injuries but I also think he uses it’s as a deflection from the performance and any questions about the players from the game, Ferguson used to always have something when they lost a game and I think Robins is similar.
he probably had 1-2 lined up but could t get them, he has pressure from King wanting cup run monies and also wanting promotion, players who cost money brings a different pressure to when he first took over.

Astute

Everybody fit I think our squad and subs bench is okay and we can change tact if needs be.
How many are good enough for the PL, ? I’d say five outfield who hopefully be playing alongside better players.
You're being very generous here.

But we have a young side that are willing to learn so will get better with experience.

Johnnythespider

He's clearly making a point to someone, whether it's fans complaining about the changes or King for not giving him the squad he wanted I don't know.

larry_david

I counted at least twice he was completely free and o hare went to Wright the other side. Both times who miscontrolled and lost it. Not sure why they didn't seem to want to pass to him.

slowpoke

No. He wont

Wilson has 3 years on his contract as does Collins

No one will buy them. This is 'Vik is staying' all over again
I think there’s a good chance Wilson will leave as will Moore there’s nothing yet below them. So do you reckon he will go with just one goalkeeper.
As for Vik I told all he was going nowhere last January, he told me himself, and he didn’t. Summer was different all down to a penalty kick.

Astute

He's clearly making a point to someone, whether it's fans complaining about the changes or King for not giving him the squad he wanted I don't know.
How about trying to lower the expectations of many of our supporters?

Our reserve players were our 1st choice last season. They were good enough to make the playoffs and only lose to penalties with just 2 other players. 2 players don't make a good side no matter what anyone says.

Saddlebrains

I think there’s a good chance Wilson will leave as will Moore there’s nothing yet below them. So do you reckon he will go with just one goalkeeper.
As for Vik I told all he was going nowhere last January, he told me himself, and he didn’t. Summer was different all down to a penalty kick.

If Wilson was going it would have been this Summer when his stock was at its highest.

Moore is clearly going, hes just sitting taking his wage at the moment the prick

Collins and Wilson will be our keepers going into next season im 99.9% certain. Unless we go up of course

Brighton Sky Blue

He’s the one who recruited for a wing back 3 ATB system. Yes we need more wide players but we’ve spent heavily on a different formation.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

What did Robins say exactly on Wilson/Collins?
There isn't a number 1keeper. He bought Wilson in because he needed to keep sharp is how I read it.

Saddlebrains

Can you blame Moore? Majority of us would do the same

Yea very true, however,

Hes not played for over a year, turned down 2 L1 clubs in the summer as it was half his wage here, but that gravy train ends in June and is anyone going to take a punt on him when hes sat on his arse for 18 months?

Risky i think

OldBedrocker

W
I'd say Collins much better at distribution and certainly with his feet. Wilson better on commanding his box. Both decent shot-stoppers. Collins edges it for me, but I'm never disappointed in either choice, however I do like to see a keeper with a run for them and the confidence of the defence. Chopping and changing keepers never good imo so whatever the decision, stick with it.
Wilson Has conceded 3 gaols at his near post in the FA cup games he’s played. Collins is an upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread