Strategy: FA cup (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

I understand MR's strategy in recent years (playing a weakened side). He knew we weren't going to win the thing and wanted to avoid tiredness and potential injury. However I've often thought him wrong in this approach (from my position of being a know-nothing armchair supporter).

It seems to me that funding is very important and these games are an opportunity to possibly get an unplanned wedge of cash with which to build. All we need is one away fixture to one of the big teams and the ticket receipts would pay the transfer fee for Hamer, Vik or Tatsu.

So, I think Doug is right to ask that we take the cup seriously. I also think that more will come to the next home tie (maybe even secured on Monday) now that ppl know they will be watching the first team.

Exciting times to be a fan. Naturally I want promotion... but a big part of me dreads the endless beatings be we experience for one year should it actually happen.

Legia Sky Blue

MR's aversion to the cup is overblown, certainly in terms of the FA Cup anyhow. The League Cup is a non event now, barring drawing a real big club or getting as far as the semis, and it never bothers me when we lose in it, beyond the annoyance on the night itself.

The FA Cup though is a different matter, and yes, he played a weakened team against Wrexham last season, but we were playing a National League team (albeit a good one) and the players that played should have been good enough to win the game anyhow. Even with having a player sent off and Moore continuing his poor form from earlier in the season on the balance of the game we shouldn't have lost. It was ultimately just their day and not ours. Previous to that we had good runs in the seasons we lost to Brighton and Birmingham, and gave a good account when we lost at Southampton, all teams at the time in higher leagues than ourselves.

Mucca Mad Boys

Unlike most years, we actually have options to rotate. We played a strong team v Wimbledon but unfortunately got complacent and lost the game.

Users who are viewing this thread