Summer transfer window 2024 (39 Viewers)

David O'Day

I was told the option on the player was Kyprianou. Would make sense because correct me if im talking shit here but everytime ive watched him he seems very Sheaf-esque. Tidy on the ball, shows for it off defenders, turns and drives, can spread the play, he even glides about the middle like Sheaf

But with Browne looking likely, i cant see us going for Kyprianou
Kyprianou wouldn't be in the XI straight away though. If we did sign someone like Browne he would have plenty of time to get up to speed and the right level before he has to start.

Liquid Gold

If these rumours are true then it’s great that players are open to joining us over other championship clubs.

It shows that the project looks good from the outside as well and looks like we’re getting our first choice signings

skybluegod

If we get McCallum/Browne in soonish, plus a keeper, you would think that is out starting 11 sorted already for the start of pre-season. We are then looking to add quality in depth. Or improve on players that have proven they can mix it with the best.

New Keeper
Milan-Thomas-Kitching (Next likely upgrade) - McCallum
Sakamoto-Browne/Torp-Sheaf/Eccles-EMC
------------Wright-Simms---------

That is a bloody good team. Obvious depth needed up front/outwide.

Yorkshire SB

Not a single Preston fan is pleased he is going. He of course would improve the squad
I’ve said he will improve the squad. Just questioning whether he’s better than Eccles and Torp, and given the alleged wages you’d hope he will be.

We have missed in the past signing championships frees, so I don’t think it’s unfair to question it.

Also scanned the Preston forum for 2 minutes and found a few who have said it suits both parties, hinting they need better. That might be bias/bitterness their side, but there you go.

shmmeee

I’ve said he will improve the squad. Just questioning whether he’s better than Eccles and Torp, and given the alleged wages you’d hope he will be.

We have missed in the past signing championships frees, so I don’t think it’s unfair to question it.

Also scanned the Preston forum for 2 minutes and found a few who have said it suits both parties, hinting they need better. That might be bias/bitterness their side, but there you go.

I get your concerns. I just think we desperately need experience in the middle and in defence with Fadz and Kelly leaving.

Liquid Gold

He’s better than both Eccles and Torp in their current stage of development.

Add to that he’s an experienced head for the dressing room and his signing on a free weakens a divisional rival and we’re laughing.

Last edited:

TomRad85

Preston offered him a big contract to stay, its pure cope from the fans if that's what they are saying.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Mucca Mad Boys

Need two number 10s so rudobi wouldn't be enough on his own for that position if Palmer goes too

As for lati I assume he goes only if there is chance to make good money. Can't see robins being desperate to get rid.
I don’t think we’re signing an AM, two of the CMs we’re linked with (Rudoni & Browne) can play AM but are primarily CMs.

As reported by our resident ITK, we’re likely to be moving to a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2.

Liquid Gold

I think if we sign a 10 it will be someone that can also play deeper or on the wing.

I get we're trying 433 or 442 next season but I think Robins will have learned his lesson from this year recruiting for a system and it not working. Always good to have versatility.

Bertola

With a 4-3-3 and a basis of Sheaf, Browne, Eccles and Torp, it looks good.

Rudoni can also play off the right, so could be Tat's back up as well as slotting into the midfield 3 when required

BlueSkiesForever

We need experienced championship players in our team that need minimal time to settle in. It took the above mentioned players a while before we saw the best of them.
I agree we definitely need experience, and yes it did take time for Haji and Simms to get going but if I remember rightly Saka and Van Ewijk were pretty amazing right from the off I think? So it’s probably just pot luck whether you get a player that needs time to adjust or whether you get a player that’s settled from the get-go.

Mucca Mad Boys

He’s their captain and player of the season of one our playoff rivals. Proven at Championship level, he’s versatile and addresses a lack of experience that we need.

Kelly, McFadz and Godden leaving in one season is a lot. They’re no longer up to standard but they out top 3 choices for captain in 22/23 so it’s a big loss in the dressing room.

If Bidwell leaves as rumoured or Allen, that’s all our experienced players culled in one season. You need to replace that.

We can’t go this window without signing 2-3 experienced players and Browne fits that profile.

rexo87

I was told the option on the player was Kyprianou. Would make sense because correct me if im talking shit here but everytime ive watched him he seems very Sheaf-esque. Tidy on the ball, shows for it off defenders, turns and drives, can spread the play, he even glides about the middle like Sheaf

We could do a similar thing to the EMC deal and loan back for a slightly cut price. Then when Sheaf does go weve got a ready made replacement

Kingokings204

Browne is exactly what we need. A simple yet effective championship 400 gamer. Preston’s captain who knows this league inside out.

I’ve been saying the same at cb. We have Thomas or kitching but we need a leader at the back. Yes fadz was too old but some one again like Browne who is 28/29 and solid championship experience. Thomas and kitching need it. 2 shouts are paddy McNair or I really like michel Helik from Huddersfield. Scored against us this year at home. Looks solid and what we need. Ex Barnsley too to keep that trend going. Might be tempted to leave after relegation and wouldn’t cost the earth.

David O'Day

I agree we definitely need experience, and yes it did take time for Haji and Simms to get going but if I remember rightly Saka and Van Ewijk were pretty amazing right from the off I think? So it’s probably just pot luck whether you get a player that needs time to adjust or whether you get a player that’s settled from the get-go.
Saka wasn't in the team for a while?

Monty

Saka looked good in pre season and then wasn't in the team for a while and was unclear where he would play with 5 at the back. When he came in the formation then suited him with 4 at the back

Mucca Mad Boys

Even if we decide to sell Sheaf? I’m expecting that to happen this summer or next.

You get Kyprianou for a fraction of that and you put a player like Browne next him, that could be a great bit of business.

From highlights and description of his game that I’ve seen, he’s like-for-like.

Marty

In that case I'm going to assume the option on Kyprianou was always only planned on being taken up if Sheaf moved on.

If we think it's the long term successor to Sheaf, would we be willing to sign him and loan him straight out to a lower championship side, get him some much needed experience at this level without being a liability for our promotion aspirations.

Hertsccfc

If we think it's the long term successor to Sheaf, would we be willing to sign him and loan him straight out to a lower championship side, get him some much needed experience at this level without being a liability for our promotion aspirations.
Last season the problem was lack of depth in the squad. We need more players capable of playing in the first team.

Viktor17

I’d still get him now, whether sheaf goes or not.

Marty

Last season the problem was lack of depth in the squad. We need more players capable of playing in the first team.

That's true and I do agree we need to bolster the first team options, but how realistic is it that he's going to play other then 5-10 mins of the bench. Sheaf plays 35 games a season and this lad isn't good enough yet to force his way past him. Just thinking that we pick him up early for a bit cheaper, get him to the level he needs to be, and gives us the option to sell Sheaf without having to panic for a replacement.

shmmeee

Any loaning back of new players needs to be done with a recall clause firmly in place. We needed EMC this season.

No such thing any more I believe. Can only recall a season long loan in Jan and that’s it.

SBAndy

That's true and I do agree we need to bolster the first team options, but how realistic is it that he's going to play other than 5-10 mins of the bench. Sheaf plays 35 games a season and this lad isn't good enough yet to force his way past him. Just thinking that we pick him up early for a bit cheaper, get him to the level he needs to be, and gives us the option to sell Sheaf without having to panic for a replacement.

Sign him, bed him in til Jan and sell Sheaf then.

SleepyGinger

Browne is exactly what we need. A simple yet effective championship 400 gamer. Preston’s captain who knows this league inside out.

I’ve been saying the same at cb. We have Thomas or kitching but we need a leader at the back. Yes fadz was too old but some one again like Browne who is 28/29 and solid championship experience. Thomas and kitching need it. 2 shouts are paddy McNair or I really like michel Helik from Huddersfield. Scored against us this year at home. Looks solid and what we need. Ex Barnsley too to keep that trend going. Might be tempted to leave after relegation and wouldn’t cost the earth.
Liam Lindsay wouldn’t be a glamorous name but would fit the bill. Preston’s players player of the year and loads of games at this level. Not sure if he’d be available, another year left on his deal.

Matt smith

Still don’t want to believe that we’re apparently looking at a player from Preston that’s nearly 30 years old, such a dull transfer on the face of it 😭
Don’t get too carried away with how you think he’s beneath us, he’s a proven championship player who will add a bit of grit and quality too a young and inexperienced squad. when push comes to shove, he’ll stand up and be counted

Good use of the free agent market this

SkyB

Have I missed something about this McCallum transfer? Norwich still have at least 2 games of the season left, and he was involved on the final day against Blues.

Can't see him being at Ryton until at least after the playoffs.

Would be an great addition if true though.

Skyblueweeman

If these do happen relatively soon, that's great news in getting them done so early.

It's seemed like the last few years that we've not had new players in for a full pre-season and we've struggled to get going early doors. It'll be interesting to see if we can get the majority of our business done before the players report back for pre-season. That'll stand us in much better stead for next season.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He also has a remarkable injury free record. He's played at least 36 Championship matches in 9 out of the last 10 seasons, what a fantastic situation to have knowing your centre mid will last the season every year.
Watch him do an ACL 3 games in...

TomRad85

Don’t get too carried away with how you think he’s beneath us, he’s a proven championship player who will add a bit of grit and quality too a young and inexperienced squad. when push comes to shove, he’ll stand up and be counted

Good use of the free agent market this
Very good. If you go on the transfer markt site it tells you the Championship players who's contracts are ending, only the first 2 pages are really worth looking at (30ish players) and we're picking up pretty much the best of them if rumours are to be believed... Browne, McCallum, Dolan.

Sky Blue Pete

Very good. If you go on the transfer markt site it tells you the Championship players who's contracts are ending, only the first 2 pages are really worth looking at (30ish players) and we're picking up pretty much the best of them if rumours are to be believed... Browne, McCallum, Dolan.

Link

Users who are viewing this thread