Sunday league football (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Is it me or is it slowly dying

Coundon park used to have loads of games on a Sunday

trevelfarandwide

Up my neck of the woods, there's always a game on - wednesdays and sundays. I rarely get the time to attend, but my local league side are romping through every team they face, it's like watching a Diet Brazil, haha.

Nick

Administrator
I am not sure if people have grown out of it and what it is all about.

You saw the younger lads coming through and they had their bright pink boots and headbands and hated playing against a 35 year old bloke who was still pissed up and just kicked them about.

I think Saturday football is getting more popular now.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Off to watch my nephew play now. I was thinking off dusting my boots off but I'll stick to running far less chance of violence

Terry Gibson's perm

I played Saturday's and Sunday's as a youngster but in the last season I played I had a guy try to break my leg on a Sunday and a bloke stamp on my ribs on a Saturday (hope he has died a gruesome death) no sick pay at work and an operation ended it then for me aged 21.

Nick

Administrator
I played Saturday's and Sunday's as a youngster but in the last season I played I had a guy try to break my leg on a Sunday and a bloke stamp on my ribs on a Saturday (hope he has died a gruesome death) no sick pay at work and an operation ended it then for me aged 21.

Saw a couple of bad leg breaks on Sunday mornings :(

I think kids now want to go out on a Saturday night and act like they play in the premier league. so many of them spend all of their wages on a bottle of vodka and walk round with it all night so they can post pictures.

chiefdave

Think its just a case that park / council facilities aren't great so they use other places and not necessarily on a Sunday.

Pipehitterz

It is dying badly.
I think circa 1990 I played Sunday league.
Coventry had premier 1 and 2 senior 1 and 1 and them leagues 1 and 2 , a 6 division league table.
Plus
Had rival league, intermediate 1, 2 and 3.

Am I right in thinking there is just 3 division league now with roughly 12 teams per league?

Saturday Football tho is through the rough compared to back then, the chance to earn even £20 a week makes kids play Saturdays instead

Pipehitterz

Saw a couple of bad leg breaks on Sunday mornings :(

I think kids now want to go out on a Saturday night and act like they play in the premier league. so many of them spend all of their wages on a bottle of vodka and walk round with it all night so they can post pictures.
We did that on Saturday nights plus a hell of a lot more in the rave era, but we all turned up to play on a Sunday
Whether it was pissed, buzzing or lack of sleep because of the tail you'd just banged all night, Sunday was a brilliant mess and totally enjoyable.

Getting the shit kicked out of me when I was 16 in the men's league, then doing the same when I was 28 to some super quick 17 year old running rings around me, was all that I wanted on a Sunday.

Wife and Kids came along to ruin it lol

Nick

Administrator
Y
We did that on Saturday nights plus a hell of a lot more in the rave era, but we all turned up to play on a Sunday
Whether it was pissed, buzzing or lack of sleep because of the tail you'd just banged all night, Sunday was a brilliant mess and totally enjoyable.

Getting the shit kicked out of me when I was 16 in the men's league, then doing the same when I was 28 to some super quick 17 year old running rings around me, was all that I wanted on a Sunday.

Wife and Kids came along to ruin it lol

Yeah but nowadays the kids don't want to get muddy, it ruins their "football kit selfies".

Some players would have a spliff ready for half time and then play better the second half!

Pipehitterz

Y

Yeah but nowadays the kids don't want to get muddy, it ruins their "football kit selfies".

Some players would have a spliff ready for half time and then play better the second half!
Lol and a couple cans of special brew ( when I played for the post office team )

chiefdave

There's a fair few Saturday teams that cough up dough to kids.
I find that shocking. Kids should be playing for fun not getting paid.

If you ran a team why would you do that anyway? I can kind of get the Cov Utd ego trip but nobody is looking up to you if your kids team does well.

Terry Gibson's perm

If you ran a team why would you do that anyway? I can kind of get the Cov Utd ego trip but nobody is looking up to you if your kids team does well.

Happens a lot in cricket as well in the higher leagues in the Warwickshire league

chiefdave

Not surprising we've got a generation of sportsmen who are more interested in their bank balance than putting in a shift and winning trophies.

stupot07

I did contemplate dusting off my boots again, but the craic of playing on Sundays was playing with your mates.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pipehitterz

Cov Utd ain't the only team that pays their players.
The year they started the same division paid their players too
I would imagine 2 or 3 players getting over the division standard at United but the rest are on the division standard. And that's a fact

skybluesam66

when i played there were the district and central leagues
District was premier 1 and 2 which were of a good standard
Senior 1-5
Intermediate 1-2

Central was 3 further divisions

so 12 divisions of 10-12 teams

I think there are now only 5 divisions so yes much less popular

fernandopartridge

Most people can get a more enjoyable game of football playing on 4g pitches now with Goals, Power League etc. Also the fact pubs are continually closing won't or doesn't help matters.

vow

Sorry to hear that TGP.
I wasted what little talent I had Sunday League wise due to Saturday night drinking, Night clubs and not getting up the next morning through most of my teens and 20's.
I do regret that, but play regularly now 7-a-side at 45 and really enjoy the games and social aspect of it.

chiefdave

Cov Utd ain't the only team that pays their players.
The year they started the same division paid their players too
I would imagine 2 or 3 players getting over the division standard at United but the rest are on the division standard. And that's a fact
You've totally missed my point. I can see the attraction of doing what Cov Utd are doing at a senior level - doesn't mean I agree with it but I can see why someone would do it.

I can't see why someone would want to pump money into a kids side so they can get the best players and beat other kids sides.

Hadji10

Cov Utd are semi pro. Why are people surprised they pay wages? They have players on 500 quid a week there. Crazy.

Terry Gibson's perm

Sorry to hear that TGP.
I wasted what little talent I had Sunday League wise due to Saturday night drinking, Night clubs and not getting up the next morning through most of my teens and 20's.
I do regret that, but play regularly now 7-a-side at 45 and really enjoy the games and social aspect of it.

I know you will hear it a lot but I was talented and had trials at Oxford United and was watched by Chelsea a few times as a youngster, I found it difficult to adapt to playing against men, in the first training session I had we were practising corners and one of them punched me in the bollocks so I couldn't get to the ball first.

dancers lance

I think the demise of the 'local' pub and industry has been the biggest factor, I have an old book somewhere that was produced yearly and listed all the Sunday league teams and fixtures before the start of the season (mid 70's) and it has hundreds of teams playing every week from this area, many from local factories, social clubs, pubs even the Police, Fire stations, ambulance service, insurance companies had teams, sometimes clubs and factories had 2 or 3 teams.

Terry Gibson's perm

You've totally missed my point. I can see the attraction of doing what Cov Utd are doing at a senior level - doesn't mean I agree with it but I can see why someone would do it.

I can't see why someone would want to pump money into a kids side so they can get the best players and beat other kids sides.

When I played minor league football in the late 80's and early 90's I played for the pick of the league side one of the players in it had never won the league so his dad who had money got every player from that side to leave their teams to go and play for his new team, we never paid subs, had a minibus to pick us up, food after the match, all fancy kit and played at a semi pro ground and then at the end of the season all the booze we could drink we walked the league hardly surprisingly.

olderskyblue

Not quite the same chief, but when my son was 12 (he's 32 now) one of the their best players was poached by Chapelfield Colts. No money given, but he had a new tracksuit, kit bag and boots all given to him. They did have a good team, not surprisingly, as all their team were other teams best players at one time or another, so it was especially good when we beat them.. :) (although it wasn't often..)

Marty

Are Chapelfield Colts still going? My brother use to play for them. I did too for half a season or so until I moved to CTK, I haven't been up that was in years but I think they have built houses on their pitches. Last time I played was about 5 years ago. Too many dickheads trying to show how much of a big man they are. That combined with being a bit of a Darren Anderton, finished me off early. Would love to give it another bash before I got too old though. Much prefer 5-a-side these days.

I think Nick raises a good point. Kids today like to show how much of a good time they're having instead of just having a good time. At a gig or even the football, how many often do you see people recording something to stick on Facebook instead of just living in the moment and enjoying it.

Users who are viewing this thread