Sunday League footy memories and funny stories (1 Viewer)

Happy_Martian

Yep Stupot, 23-0. At the end, we didn't know if we'd improved or whether they'd taken pity on us as we only conceded 9 in the 2nd half :) At least the manager was there with the halftime oranges :facepalm:

You'll Never Beat McPake

I remember one time where I had been out for a skinful the night before and had to be at Coundon Park for a QF against team near top of league. Managed to drag my arse out of bed, head throbbing and guts churning. We kicked off and I made a few runs down the wing from left back position. Started to feel very ill. Any way about 20 mins in I ran off the pitch to hurle in the hedge next to Waste Lane. Manager started after me wandering what was going on and proceeded to do the Himelic manouver on me so I could get it out of my system and get me back on the pitch. Never lived that one down. I think we won coz we ended up in the Old Hall afterwards And we all got pissed. Then were the days.

Ashdown

I remember one time where I had been out for a skinful the night before and had to be at Coundon Park for a QF against team near top of league. Managed to drag my arse out of bed, head throbbing and guts churning. We kicked off and I made a few runs down the wing from left back position. Started to feel very ill. Any way about 20 mins in I ran off the pitch to hurle in the hedge next to Waste Lane. Manager started after me wandering what was going on and proceeded to do the Himelic manouver on me so I could get it out of my system and get me back on the pitch. Never lived that one down. I think we won coz we ended up in the Old Hall afterwards And we all got pissed. Then were the days.

McPake scored a hell of a late equaliser last night in the Dundee derby match !

B-Ban-Boogie

Not quite an ‘on field story’ but it is a Sunday League one….
Every year our Colliery end of season getaways were in Blackpool, Torquay, Brighton etc but one year the manager decided we should go to Magaluf.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) I had a stag weekend in Madrid at the same time and on the Saturday morning I get a phone saying half the team had got arrested!!

It turns out the lads were in a bar, with the vodka\redbulls flowing and a competition breaks out of who could do the most ‘pull ups’ on the bars overhanging awning\canopy.
Well yes you may already be ahead of me by now as half way through this the whole canopy dislodges from the wall and come crashing down around the bar!!

As the lads take off down the street, a few of the old boys (one was the main guy at President Kennedy FC who was about 60) decide that it’s not right and go back and face the consequences.
So 7 of them are arrested and put in jail and the rest of them then have to have a whip round to get them out… (I can’t remember what it was, but it was expensive!!)

For 2-3 years after, every time the President Kennedy guy was with us, if his wife was there, someone used to walk up and ‘jingle’ their keys behind him, and his missus, for months, would be like like.. “What are they doing that for?”
And his response was always “I don’t know, they are just a load of pricks!!” haha

At an end of season presentation night (2 years later), we made a trophy with keys on, and as he walks up the whole crowd are jingling their keys and the guy, with microphone in hand decides to confess to his wife in front of everyone.. hahaha..

To be fair she took it better than expected.

FourKingGreat

I run a lads team and a couple of years ago we had an old boy as our ref. Anyhow, we were ready to kick off and I couldn't find him anywhere but his moped was in the car park. He appeared like the shopkeeper off Mr Benn and came up and shook my hand. He then proceeded to tell me that he'd just been for a crap in the bushes as he was desperate.:eek:

This old boy is infamous within the junior football section. Him and that bloody moped.

M&B Stand

Who'd be a Sunday League ref? The ultimate thankless task, they must have really thick skins to be able to do it. Abuse, cheating linesman, threats, all for about 20 quid. Fair play to those that do it.

B-Ban-Boogie

Is it really only 20 quid?
Jesus, that's a thankless task...

Here in the Florida Suncoast Soccer League we get a ref and lines persons for $90 a game and there are more than a few that don't know all the rules.
We also play the IMG Academy youth team in our league who are the best young lads at 'soccer' in the States...
It's like playing Chelsea U19's and they batter everyone... haha..

Here is their Campus which is pretty impressive...

http://imgcampusmap.com/#UMAP_2014120304943

M&B Stand

Who'd be a Sunday League ref? The ultimate thankless task, they must have really thick skins to be able to do it. Abuse, cheating linesman, threats, all for about 20 quid. Fair play to those that do it.

I think it was £12 per team last time I played.

Will be in the Moon Under Water St Pete sometime in November, I'll drop you a pm if you're about.

egastap

Not so much a funny story, but I've read every one of the posts on this and got hit with a bout of nostalgia. I found myself reminiscing over my playing career back in Cov. Sunday League teams I played for were Wyken WMC, Canley Social, Tile Hill WMC, Binley WMC. They were bruising leagues back then (in the 60's) and I've still got the awful bruises on my ankles still today. Of course most people back then played Saturdays (their main team) and just a bruising kick-around on Sundays (two games in about 20 hours was a piece of cake when we were young). I played for Dunlop, Wickmans, Coventry Gauge and Tool, Massey Ferguson (with Stan Smith, Ronnie Farmer and Kirk Stephens) and Nuneaton Borough ( but that is a long sorry tale of not making it into the pro ranks)........ah, such great memories. Wonder if any of those clubs still exist even?

B-Ban-Boogie

I think it was £12 per team last time I played.

Will be in the Moon Under Water St Pete sometime in November, I'll drop you a pm if you're about.

Yeh, give me a PM and if i'm not busy i'll come have a pint with ya!
Was in there 2 weeks ago and noticed there wasn't any Coventry memorabilia so take a Cov flag with you to put on the wall.. :)

rob9872

I scored an own goal in the cup final and got subbed, but we won the cup thanks to my cheating... I was less than popular with the opposition! when subbed I had to run the line and at 2-2 they scored a perfectly good winner but I flagged and the ref disallowed it. We won in extra time. It seems a hollow victory in hindsight but at the time it was all OK and much beer followed. :)

no_loyalty

Was playing in a cup game for Clifford Park Rangers back in about 86, our winger was running down the touch line and one of the opposition parents tripped him over, all hell broke loose

wingy

Not so much a funny story, but I've read every one of the posts on this and got hit with a bout of nostalgia. I found myself reminiscing over my playing career back in Cov. Sunday League teams I played for were Wyken WMC, Canley Social, Tile Hill WMC, Binley WMC. They were bruising leagues back then (in the 60's) and I've still got the awful bruises on my ankles still today. Of course most people back then played Saturdays (their main team) and just a bruising kick-around on Sundays (two games in about 20 hours was a piece of cake when we were young). I played for Dunlop, Wickmans, Coventry Gauge and Tool, Massey Ferguson (with Stan Smith, Ronnie Farmer and Kirk Stephens) and Nuneaton Borough ( but that is a long sorry tale of not making it into the pro ranks)........ah, such great memories. Wonder if any of those clubs still exist even?

My old man played for Masseys around that time egastso, managers name at that time Frank or Stan?

Chipfat

Is it really only 20 quid?
Jesus, that's a thankless task...

Here in the Florida Suncoast Soccer League we get a ref and lines persons for $90 a game and there are more than a few that don't know all the rules.
We also play the IMG Academy youth team in our league who are the best young lads at 'soccer' in the States...
It's like playing Chelsea U19's and they batter everyone... haha..

Here is their Campus which is pretty impressive...

http://imgcampusmap.com/#UMAP_2014120304943

B-Ban

You do coaching at sarasota..

B-Ban-Boogie

B-Ban

You do coaching at sarasota..

Yes mate, we have 3 teams that represent Sarasota.. (used to be 4 but one folded last year)
We have one in the Premier Division which is a very good standard, the team i coach in Division One and a Division 2 team.
I used to play full time but at 42 its taking its toll now... I still lob myself up front for the last 5 minutes in games to get some glory though!! :)

Chipfat

Used to be up in NJ doing a bit,,,coached some good players up there,,, sent one to us on trial,, good lad,,, good player.. Plays for Miami Fusion now, at the time we couldn't afford him,,mind you registered to Napoli they wanted decent money for him....I haven't coached in a while miss it a bit still got some pals in it, putting the boots on in morning in great weather and getting paid for it is a good feeling, mind... Better than grafting...

Sky_Blue_Daz

Fantastic thread this

I was a 16 year old kid playing for my dads pubs team just about to come on as a sub we were losing 3-0 ran onth the pitch from the side line and both boots got stuckmin the mud and I was therenin me socks
It was a shame because the team were quite decent at one point, then I joined

egastap

My old man played for Masseys around that time egastso, managers name at that time Frank or Stan?
Correct....Stan Smith was manager and Ronnie Farmer was head coach (both former City players). Kirk Stephens was a scrawny 15 year old kid, but you could see he was going to be a pro someday, even then.

Johnnythespider

I once played in a pub team that had a one armed goalkeeper, he was surprisingly good :)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Played a side (Exhall) who had lost 16 out of 16 conceded over 100 score 0 we are 8-0 up at their place 2 mins left our CB concedes a pen their captain scores.....game 17 first goal of the season the whole team runoff (8-1 down) on some bonkers celebration they've had stored up for 17 games, in the meantime the ref disallows it for player infringement in the area they ask who points at our (CB, I thought effectively that means advantage them goal stands) anyhow re take....smashes it down the middle our keeper stands there and saves it. Game finishes 8-0 win to us they play final few games don't score & disband as a team.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Last game of U11's season we need to win to go up to the A league knowing we will get hammered management deliberately mix the team round for the final game gk up front, LM in goal our 1 footed RB to LM, chaos we win either 3-0 or 5-0 best we ever play get printed we celebrate like hyper 11 year olds the coaches and parents can't believe it and gutted, we go up draw the first game win the 2nd easy this A league lark.....don't win another all season, straight back down and never promoted again always finished 3rd or 4th..,.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Our other centre back cracking lad couldn't play football to save his life but could run, was as fast as lightening and would tackle and win the ball as cleanly as anything 99 times out of 100. This one game rock solid pitch keepers hoof catches the wind and the goes over everyone's head their striker is clean through ball bounces high heads it on for himself our CB slow on the turn 5/6 yards behind strikers getting closer to goal 30 yards, 25, 20 our CB starts to stumble as he closes in realising he's about to go down and our keep still in his 6 yard box and this lads going to smash it in our CB just throws himself head first towards the ball which is still bouncing low about a foot off the ground, gets his head some how on the ball as he does the striker sweetly shoots but cleans up our CB (like the kick on Terry in that League cup final a few years back) but he's kicked him so sweetly it doesn't knock out our CB some how who gets up and to everyone's amazement chases the ball down!
Still the greatest tackle I've ever seen.

The same lads dad said he would give him £50 for a goal the furthest he ever went was half way, 3-0 up in a game last min manager sends the lad up to take a pen his dad's seeing himself £50 down he needn't worry steps up hits the pen bounces 3 times to the keeper and just about reaches him!

Never scored or had a shot again or went near the oppos pen infact!

Last edited:

Adge

I am a local referee and had to do a season on the local Sunday leagues during a promotion season a couple of years back. The game was at Newbold Comyn and lets just say it was team A v team B. About to kick off and noticed a right meat head who was playing up front for team A who was obviously trying to intimidate players from team B. 10 minutes in and this tit was chirping off about every decision I made including the ones that were in his teams favour! I had a word in his ear and was met with a bit of language to which I then called his captain over informing the captain that I wasn't putting up with this for the rest of the match and his "collegue" would end up costing his team if he was to carry on in the same manner. Now usually if the captain is half decent he will have a word with his player and reel him in, but I could see he was a bit apprehensive. By this stage I knew something was not quite right. The captain then decided to join in with his collegue at every opportunity and was eventually met with a yellow card for dissent like his collegue earlier. We got through to half time and i was happy when 5 minutes after half time the meat head was substituted and the captain never muttered a word for the rest of the match and we then got to full time without anything else happening on the pitch, but ol'e meat head was on the side being the big man in front of his mates who were laughing at/with him.
When we returned to the changing rooms I bumped into another referee who I knew and he asked me which teams I had been refereeing which I told him.
"As long as I live I will never ever officiate a game with that team again and I have told the league not to give me them!" was his reply which I asked him to explain.
"Because the big meat head no 10 for team A has just came out of prison a second time for affray and has just come back from a years football ban for punching/assaulting a referee".
Now I knew why the captain was not playing ball with me-because he was shit scared of him!
An all too familiar sight on Sunday football pitches which is a shame because there are a lot of mates teams who just want a game of football like myself when turning out on a Sunday.Traditionally-Saturday is football day where most of the best players ply their trade at local/amateur level.

Last edited:

Esoterica

I am a local referee and had to do a season on the local Sunday leagues during a promotion season a couple of years back. The game was at Newbold Comyn and lets just say it was team A v team B. About to kick off and noticed a right meat head who was playing up front for team A who was obviously trying to intimidate players from team B. 10 minutes in and this tit was chirping off about every decision I made including the ones that were in his teams favour! I had a word in his ear and was met with a bit of language to which I then called his captain over informing the captain that I wasn't putting up with this for the rest of the match and his "collegue" would end up costing his team if he was to carry on in the same manner. Now usually if the captain is half decent he will have a word with his player and reel him in, but I could see he was a bit apprehensive. By this stage I knew something was not quite right. The captain then decided to join in with his collegue at every opportunity and was eventually met with a yellow card for dissent like his collegue earlier. We got through to half time and i was happy when 5 minutes after half time the meat head was substituted and the captain never muttered a word for the rest of the match and we then got to full time without anything else happening on the pitch, but ol'e meat head was on the side being the big man in front of his mates who were laughing at/with him.
When we returned to the changing rooms I bumped into another referee who I knew and he asked me which teams I had been refereeing which I told him.
"As long as I live I will never ever officiate a game with that team again and I have told the league not to give me them!" was his reply which I asked him to explain.
"Because the big meat head no 10 for team A has just came out of prison a second time for affray and has just come back from a years football ban for punching/assaulting a referee".
Now I knew why the captain was not playing ball with me-because he was shit scared of him!
An all too familiar sight on Sunday football pitches which is a shame because there are a lot of mates teams who just want a game of football like myself when turning out on a Sunday.Traditionally-Saturday is football day where most of the best players ply their trade at local/amateur level.

Nice to hear the referee's side of the story! Respect to you sir, I've no idea how or why you do it but without you there'd just be a lot of drunk guys still in bed on a Sunday morning!

Travs

I played sunday football for many years in both the Cov league and the Nuneaton league.

I felt in general the Cov league was generally a nicer league to play in, but when things kicked off it could get really bad.

The Nuneaton league was littered with red cards, violence towards refs and each other, but generally you knew the game would get to 90 minutes without the police being called.

Few memorable moments:

As a teenager in the Cov league I came up against the legend Dean Emerson. He looked in his mid/late 40's (this was maybe 2001-2002), and was a couple of stone overweight, but his touch was awesome. Anyway I nutmegged him and he wiped me out, getting a straight red card in the process. He was also sent from the sideline during the 2nd half.

In the Nuneaton league I started with a real team of lunatics. One guy was sent off 6 matches in a row. As a finale in the 6th match he hit the ref with the first aid bucket.

Eventually the lunatics moved on and we evolved into a decent young side and were moving up the divisions, but still had a core of people who liked to 'enjoy themselves' on a Saturday night. I remember once our keeper had been out all night and decided to perk himself up with half an ecstasy pill prior to kickoff. He didn't even see the first goal fly in the top corner.

We once had a full blown fight with a team after an argument about goal-nets. Nothing too bad about that, apart from the fact it was 10am in the morning before the game, and we weren't even playing them. Unfortunately one of their lads suffered a broken arm in the melee.

Johhny Blue

I played sunday football for many years in both the Cov league and the Nuneaton league.

I felt in general the Cov league was generally a nicer league to play in, but when things kicked off it could get really bad.

The Nuneaton league was littered with red cards, violence towards refs and each other, but generally you knew the game would get to 90 minutes without the police being called.

Few memorable moments:

As a teenager in the Cov league I came up against the legend Dean Emerson. He looked in his mid/late 40's (this was maybe 2001-2002), and was a couple of stone overweight, but his touch was awesome. Anyway I nutmegged him and he wiped me out, getting a straight red card in the process. He was also sent from the sideline during the 2nd half.

In the Nuneaton league I started with a real team of lunatics. One guy was sent off 6 matches in a row. As a finale in the 6th match he hit the ref with the first aid bucket.

Eventually the lunatics moved on and we evolved into a decent young side and were moving up the divisions, but still had a core of people who liked to 'enjoy themselves' on a Saturday night. I remember once our keeper had been out all night and decided to perk himself up with half an ecstasy pill prior to kickoff. He didn't even see the first goal fly in the top corner.

We once had a full blown fight with a team after an argument about goal-nets. Nothing too bad about that, apart from the fact it was 10am in the morning before the game, and we weren't even playing them. Unfortunately one of their lads suffered a broken arm in the melee.

Good job it wasn't Richard the Goalie

Users who are viewing this thread