Taxi on the way (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skybluetony176

Its been a 2 season cycle.
Look good in 1st season then fall away after January when purse strings are tightened,
Start and continue badly in 2nd season, sack manager but get relegated anyway.
Will the cycle be broken?

SP suffered from it, TM suffered from it and now the worry given current form is MR’s is also about to be hit with the curse.

3 very different characters, 3 very different sets of players, 3 different sets of back room staff (bar Oggy the fall guy), yet all 3 tenures shaping up the same. Although MR still has time to buck that trend.

Now, unless you want to believe that the goal keeping coach is the true mastermind behind our decline (although I’m going for Edna the tea lady myself) I think it’s safe to say that the root of our problems as a club extends further than first team staff. Given the commonalities under different teams.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
It depends really, has anybody actually blamed oggy for a decline or just goalkeeping issues?

oucho

The amount of times I have seen people post "We'll be non league soon enough anyway blah blah"
It's one thing to make flippant comments like that, but who on here, of the serious / semi-serious posters, genuinely predicted relegation for us this season?

oucho

It depends really, has anybody actually blamed oggy for a decline or just goalkeeping issues?
You do see comments like that when our keeper has a bad moment, blaming Oggy for not teaching him to kick/catch etc. Also a while ago there was a thread basically blaming the club's culture on Oggy and saying he needed to be sacked.

The scary thing is that I assume most of the people proposing that viewpoint have a legal right to vote and may even exercise it from time to time. As Churchill said, " the best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with an average voter."

skybluetony176

It's one thing to make flippant comments like that, but who on here, of the serious / semi-serious posters, genuinely predicted relegation for us this season?

I think a few have pointed out that if promotion doesn’t happen at the first time of asking we’ll revert to type. And type has been relegation. Can’t remember anyone saying we’d definitely be relegated this season. Although I doubt many would have been all that surprised should it have happened.

robbiekeane

We should be getting about 200K from the third round FA Cup game. That’s enough to pay the wages for 6 months for two top quality forwards on short term loans. But will MR see the money? If he doesn’t I think he’ll walk because the writing is on the wall.
You surely understand that a certain amount of these revenues will be factored into the budget planned for a season right? Not sure whether you deliberately ignore that or don't see it.

Do you spend your entire net Salary on new clothes or beer? Or do you use it for outgoings too?

If you were getting further and further into debt every month by £500 per month...overdraft, credit card, whatever, and then all of a sudden you got a nice £1500 bonus. Would you go and spend this on new clothes and nights out or a holiday? Or would you pay off some of those costs?

Irish Sky Blue

SP suffered from it, TM suffered from it and now the worry given current form is MR’s is also about to be hit with the curse.

3 very different characters, 3 very different sets of players, 3 different sets of back room staff (bar Oggy the fall guy), yet all 3 tenures shaping up the same. Although MR still has time to buck that trend.

Now, unless you want to believe that the goal keeping coach is the true mastermind behind our decline (although I’m going for Edna the tea lady myself) I think it’s safe to say that the root of our problems as a club extends further than first team staff. Given the commonalities under different teams.
Doubt we can afford a tea lady.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
We should be getting about 200K from the third round FA Cup game. That’s enough to pay the wages for 6 months for two top quality forwards on short term loans. But will MR see the money? If he doesn’t I think he’ll walk because the writing is on the wall.

Third round prize money is just under 70k. The crowd barely covers the match day costs in Round 2 and prize money was under 30k I believe. Knock out the costs and it isn't the cash cow some believe in the early rounds. 3rd round isn't going to be a sell out it would seem. And the gate money is split with Ccfc seeing 45% I think. Will they net 200k after match day costs?

Emirates FA Cup prize fund

It's not going to provide much for squad investment. And I believe the average league attendances are running at a budget loss so far this season that needs to be recovered

Last edited:

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Third round prize money is just under 70k. The crowd barely covers the match day costs in Round 2 prize money was under 30k I believe. Knock out the costs and it isn't the cash cow some believe in the early rounds. 3rd round isn't going to be a sell it would seem. And the gate money is split with Ccfc seeing 45% I think. Will they net 200k?

Emirates FA Cup prize fund

It's not going to provide much for squad investment
Personally, if we had a 30 thousands gate for the Stoke game , Mark Robins still wouldn't have enough investment in the squad !!! The owners are just not interested !!!

oucho

I believe the average league attendances are running at a budget loss so far this season that needs to be recovered

I heard the figure £750k shortfall by May being bandied about, although I think it was also phrased as "we need £750k to keep us going until May" which isn't necessarily the same thing. I'd also heard we'd targeted gates of between 9k-9.5k, and as we are only getting 7.5k on average for league games now, then presumably the maths stack up as: 1.5k missing fans each game (9k projection minus 7.5k reality = 1.5k per game) x £22 per head x 23 league games = £759,000.

Again, it's only rumour but it doesn't sound implausible.

Londonccfcfan

At home the pressure on MR is just too much. It’s a tough one.

It’s almost like a no win situation, if he beats these smaller teams (he’s expected to won’t get much credit for beating the likes of FGR) it’s almost like the players and manager relish playing the so called bigger teams. There is a lot less pressure on them?

Cheltenham at home is lose lose situation. Even if it’s nil nil at half time, the boos will be ringing around the ground.
The expectation MR and his team is huge and is probably an unfair expectation.

oucho

At home the pressure on MR is just too much. It’s a tough one.

It’s almost like a no win situation, if he beats these smaller teams (he’s expected to won’t get much credit for beating the likes of FGR) it’s almost like the players and manager relish playing the so called bigger teams. There is a lot less pressure on them?

Cheltenham at home is lose lose situation. Even if it’s nil nil at half time, the boos will be ringing around the ground.
The expectation MR and his team is huge and is probably an unfair expectation.

1 - Cheltenham at home is lose lose situation - not if we score more goals than them, or the same number of goals
2 - At home the pressure on MR is just too much. - the pressure of 25000 empty seats staring at him?
3 - Given the size of our budget in this league, expecting us to beat FGR at home on a weeknight isn't unfair

letsallsingtogether

What chance do you have.
Listening to talk sport this afternoon and they were on about a documentary.
In this programme they go on about how Prem clubs go after kids as young as three, they also talk about a 14 year old who has been guaranteed £40,000 a week when he turns 17 to sign for them, his parents have been given a house car etc for free.
Another 14 year old is already on £24,000 a year.
Apparently it is worth it signing as many youngsters as possible because if one makes it, then it pays for itself 100 fold.
Most fall by the wayside by the time they are 22.

fernandopartridge

Personally, if we had a 30 thousands gate for the Stoke game , Mark Robins still wouldn't have enough investment in the squad !!! The owners are just not interested !!!
Zzzzz you're right but for the wrong reason, a 30k gate might help make up for losses that's all

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

oucho

I know SISU aren't the sharpest at running a football club but surely even they haven't projected the average attendance increasing after we've been relegated and put the prices up.
Mate you're talking about a man whose expectations of CCFC projected attendances are so unrealistic that he confidently predicted we'd get 7k for Sixfields home games if the team did well.

Last season our average was 9,332 in an utterly depressing year - maybe he thought a slight dip to 9k would be about right, given the expectation of a successful team on the pitch (a winning team under Mowbray had gates of 16-17k some weeks in the Ryan Kent era, just one division above).

RoboCCFC90

This thread is nonsense..

The answer is sacking Mark Robins and bringing in another manager? No.

Mark Robins and his team need to be afforded time, we are 7th in the league (albeit by goal difference) and we'd be higher with consistency.

There are a few things that need addressing in January (if there is scope to do so) and then we can mount a challenge to kick on until the end of season..

We aren't fighting relegation and we won't be, don't panic.

stevefloyd

I still maintain that Robins inherited a damn poor squad the majority he shipped out...good riddance... he has started rebuilding not only the team but the club as well to some extent, we are 7th in the league he brought in 12/13 players, I think even some of the most optimistic of fans would gladly acknowledge that all of them wouldn't be great ie we would have some duds and so we have, so its now phase 2 of the rebuild coming up in January, he knows he has to try and get the recruitment right because as Roy Keane once said get the recruitment wrong and you have a rubbish team! After January I would think the pressure would mount on him if things didn't improve on the pitch, I 100% hope they do because another manager coming in would again set us back

Londonccfcfan

I heard the figure £750k shortfall by May being bandied about, although I think it was also phrased as "we need £750k to keep us going until May" which isn't necessarily the same thing. I'd also heard we'd targeted gates of between 9k-9.5k, and as we are only getting 7.5k on average for league games now, then presumably the maths stack up as: 1.5k missing fans each game (9k projection minus 7.5k reality = 1.5k per game) x £22 per head x 23 league games = £759,000.

Again, it's only rumour but it doesn't sound implausible.

Absolute Bollocks did SISU forecast gates of 9k average this season!!?? Especially after not reducing the Price of tickets.

ccfc1986

Robins is the best this club is going to find and attract at this level. End of story. It's not necessarily all his fault. And let's think... We are still in the top half, in playoffs position. Let's see what happens in January transfer window. It will show the intent of SISU. If we sell and/or only get 1-2 mediocre loans in that tells the whole story....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

oucho

Absolute Bollocks did SISU forecast gates of 9k average this season!!?? Especially after not reducing the Price of tickets.

I'm just relaying what I heard (from a member of the London Supporters Group, as it happens). Not sure of his source.

Londonccfcfan

The positive is we have have been absolutely shit for about last 10/11 games over 2 months in the league barring two games. And are still 7th.

What a highly competitive shit league.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Yeah just shows you how out of touch SISU are ! couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery !

giphy.gif

Grendel

I'm guessing you took Mark's taxi in the end Grendel?

As I said results had to improve - they have but given the results against some mediocre teams we could be more advanced than we are.

Evo1883

Dont agree with all his team selections , I think his tactics have cost us points over the course of the first 25 or so games however we sit 3rd and look to strengthen in jan so it’s hard to moan really .
We could and probably should be doing slightly better given the opposition we have lost too but il take it .

PUSB

letsallsingtogether

As I said results had to improve - they have but given the results against some mediocre teams we could be more advanced than we are.
Classic.
Mediocre teams this is division 4 you know.
So we lost one game which really we should have won.......
Robins out.

BackRoomRummermill

Listen it is not over by a long shot, look how tight it is , we should be clear ahead in points but we are not, MR has more resources than most in this league and it is way too premature to bump this thread to berate as it could backfire on you and indeed it is right to question our position. Exeter were 3 at the start of the day and are now just in the PO zone so its far too early . MR taxi has not been cancelled , its the determination of a few players that have kept it from arriving.

Ashdown

MR has very limited resources, lets not kid ourselves. It's a shit league with teams set up to kill games as a spectacle, we're not always going to succeed in breaking them down. We are a bit tougher this year physically and I don't doubt Doyle's gob is helping run games with the refs too. Still think there will be mainly drab games to come but grinding out results is how you get out of this level and largely we are doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread