Terrible Christmas Presents (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Go on then, what's the worst you've got this year?

Am not quite sure where I'll hang the drawing of a Hillman Hunter with what looks like a slightly podgy Arnie Terminator sat in the driver's seat...

Terry Gibson's perm

Money for a ticket to the match tomorrow unless we in and then it's the best present

Otis

I got a FitBit.

Considering I never ever go to the gym, or jog, or do any exercise at all past walking the dog, it's entirely useless.

I do walk with the a dog a lot but haven't got the slightest interest how far I've gone.

Nick

Administrator
I got a FitBit.

Considering I never ever go to the gym, or jog, or do any exercise at all past walking the dog, it's entirely useless.

I do walk with the a dog a lot but haven't got the slightest interest how far I've gone.
Which one is it? You don't have to go to the gym, it might get you walking a bit more ;)

Is it a hint?

Gazolba

Not this year, but I once got a Korean letter-opener. It was beautiful in a velvet lined box but was so obviously a re-gift and not something I would ever use.
Letter-opener.JPG

fernandopartridge

I got a FitBit.

It'll change, I got a fitbit a couple of years ago. You find yourself checking and then trying to do better all the time. Your average exercise per day will increase no doubt

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

I got an Elisse tracksuit (I’ve never willingly wore a tracksuit in my life) and a pipe pouch (I don’t smoke a pipe) this year.

Otis

Actually, I think my worst present was going out for Christmas dinner, paid for by my parents.

All food choices pre-ordered over a month ago and table booked two months ago.

So, get there (it's a carvery, but I am obviously vegetarian) and we pretty much immediately get our starters, only my mum, my dad and my daughter had all ordered melon with raspberry coulis and the waitresses actually turned up at the table with three prawn salads.

I politely told them the order was wrong and they seemed baffled. I looked at our order (had taken a photocopy of what we ordered as a reminder for ourselves) and we had indeed ordered correctly.

So, mine the missus's were correct, but now we didn't all the get the starters at the same time.

The wife and I had ordered breaded brie and all you could taste was the oil. Seemingly they had not drained the things properly. The wife hated it.

Next, was the carvery, so they took our starter plates away and we asked do we just go up and get the carvery and they said no they would come and fetch us.

15 mins later we are still twiddling our thumbs waiting and there was no-one waiting at the carvery, so we asked again and the waitresses said 'you all for carvery then?' To which I said 'No, it 4 for the carvery and I am vegetarian.' So, she went off again and said she would come back.

About 5 mins later she came back and asked what I had ordered and I told her it was the brie, mushroom and cranberry wellington and off she went again.

A few minutes later she came back and asked if I would have the salmon instead, to which I replied, 'No, I am a vegetarian. I don't eat fish.'

Another 10 mins pass and we ask again about the carvery and the waitress said to me they were just trying to get my wellington 'perfect.' It was very clear by then that the had totally buggered everything up and didn't even seem to have our order at all and were obviously cooking my wellington from scratch.

I asked if the other 4 could go up to the carvery as it wasn't fair on them to wait and they said that was fine.

They all got their meals and then another 10 mins later the waitress comes back and says my dish was ready, so I went up and I took one look at the thing and it was anaemic. Absolutely pale and no colour at all to the pastry.

I was given the wellington and the chef then promptly asked me if I wanted pigs in blankets with it. I politely said no, shook my head and went back to the table.

The dish itself was very nice, but I opened it up and there was no sign of any brie and there certainly wasn't any cranberry in it at all.

We then came on to the desserts and I had salted caramel profiteroles and I could barely eat them they were so sweet. I have a very, very sweet tooth, but I was wincing with every mouthful. Incredibly sickly sweet. Think of a Cadbury's cream egg and then multiply the sweetenes by about 10. It wasn't a deliberate sabotage I'm surely as I was so polite all the way through, not wanting to spoil anyone elses enjoyment or get myself in a lather about it and ruin my own day.

Don't think we will be going back.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Actually, I think my worst present was going out for Christmas dinner, paid for by my parents.

All food choices pre-ordered over a month ago and table booked two months ago.

So, get there (it's a carvery, but I am obviously vegetarian) and we pretty much immediately get our starters, only my mum, my dad and my daughter had all ordered melon with raspberry coulis and the waitresses actually turned up at the table with three prawn salads.

I politely told them the order was wrong and they seemed baffled. I looked at our order (had taken a photocopy of what we ordered as a reminder for ourselves) and we had indeed ordered correctly.

So, mine the missus's were correct, but now we didn't all the get the starters at the same time.

The wife and I had ordered breaded brie and all you could taste was the oil. Seemingly they had not drained the things properly. The wife hated it.

Next, was the carvery, so they took our starter plates away and we asked do we just go up and get the carvery and they said no they would come and fetch us.

15 mins later we are still twiddling our thumbs waiting and there was no-one waiting at the carvery, so we asked again and the waitresses said 'you all for carvery then?' To which I said 'No, it 4 for the carvery and I am vegetarian.' So, she went off again and said she would come back.

About 5 mins later she came back and asked what I had ordered and I told her it was the brie, mushroom and cranberry wellington and off she went again.

A few minutes later she came back and asked if I would have the salmon instead, to which I replied, 'No, I am a vegetarian. I don't eat fish.'

Another 10 mins pass and we ask again about the carvery and the waitress said to me they were just trying to get my wellington 'perfect.' It was very clear by then that the had totally buggered everything up and didn't even seem to have our order at all and were obviously cooking my wellington from scratch.

I asked if the other 4 could go up to the carvery as it wasn't fair on them to wait and they said that was fine.

They all got their meals and then another 10 mins later the waitress comes back and says my dish was ready, so I went up and I took one look at the thing and it was anaemic. Absolutely pale and no colour at all to the pastry.

I was given the wellington and the chef then promptly asked me if I wanted pigs in blankets with it. I politely said no, shook my head and went back to the table.

The dish itself was very nice, but I opened it up and there was no sign of any brie and there certainly wasn't any cranberry in it at all.

We then came on to the desserts and I had salted caramel profiteroles and I could barely eat them they were so sweet. I have a very, very sweet tooth, but I was wincing with every mouthful. Incredibly sickly sweet. Think of a Cadbury's cream egg and then multiply the sweetenes by about 10. It wasn't a deliberate sabotage I'm surely as I was so polite all the way through, not wanting to spoil anyone elses enjoyment or get myself in a lather about it and ruin my own day.

Don't think we will be going back.
After reading that saga matey, I expected you to say where all this occurred?

Paul Anthony

If you want a Christmas nightmare, this was ours a couple of years ago. 2014 to be precise.

A week before I was dispatched to Cov from the Forest of Dean to deliver presents to some family. No problem. Bus to Gloucester station, train to Brum. Change at Cov. Easy.

Next day I come out with a cold. No problem, a hot curry will help. Lots of throat sweets. Go out. Play snooker.

Suddenly feel like I've become delirious. The world is floating by, I'm totally out of it. "What do they put on these sweets!?" I wonder to myself.

I get back to my brothers, and can hold it in no more. Head down the bog, what feels like everything I've consumed I the last week coming up. It's 4 days before Christmas.

I spend the next 2 days bedridden. Kept alive by a near endless supply of Lucozade and paracetamol. I spend the time pondering which little git it was who coughed on the bus to give it to me, and the many ways in which I would like to "get rid" of them.

The day comes when I get to go home. The Journey goes OK. Well, I assume it did. I was only there in body. My spirit was in dreamland. But we made it.

We cut to Christmas dinner. My mum and stepdad put a lot of effort into getting it perfect. They do a great job too. Here come the crabcake starters.
I get mine. So does my brother. Quite literally. My stepdad trips over the carpet, sending my brothers starter flying all over him.

Luckily that was the last disaster. But it all summed up 2014 in a....well...crabcake shell. Merry blooming Christmas.

Last edited:

Otis

Nothing worse than being ill over Christmas.

Last year, my dad, who's 87, fell down our stairs on Christmas Day, top step to bottom.

chiefdave

Nothing worse than being ill over Christmas.

Last year, my dad, who's 87, fell down our stairs on Christmas Day, top step to bottom.
Nasty, no broken bones I hope.

We ended up at the hospital last Christmas Day. Dad collapsed, fair play to the emergency services, they were there in minutes and sorted him out.

Otis

Nope. He wasn't. He bounced off every step and then after a few minutes of sitting on the bottom step, he just dusted himself down and got up.

He actually broke our bannisters though and knocked the post right out at the bottom.

Sky Blue Pete

Others show moderate increase though so I’m gonna check in with the guy that told me cause their job is within the health service

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Nope. He wasn't. He bounced off every step and then after a few minutes of sitting on the bottom step, he just dusted himself down and got up.

He actually broke our bannisters though and knocked the post right out at the bottom.
"How to fall down stairs"
Step 1.
Step 3.
Step 7.
Step 10, 11, & 12

Otis

Whatever they do or don't do, I really won't use it.

All I do is walk the dog and the only thing I am interested in is if I have walked her for 30 mins or not. In fact, I might just put the Fitbit on the dog.

mechaishida

Every year my nan would get me a Manchester United annual.

I had a Liverpool one for 3 years on the trot, from my nan.

Not quite as offensive as a Man Utd one though, you poor lad. I'd be keen to hear what you did with the offending annuals, I used mine as posh bog roll.

Users who are viewing this thread