Thank God for Robins (1 Viewer)

Rory83

I seriously think had we stuck with Slade or replaced him with another below par appointment the club could very well be headed for relegation from league two next season.

As it stands I firmly believe we will bounce back. Maybe not as Champions or automatic, that will come down to recruitment. I just think that if Robins has got the current batch playing like this, jesus who can forget Oxford, Cambridge and Chesterfield away, then there is no reason given a full pre season and some fresh faces that he can't do what needs to be done and get us straight back up.

Obviously recruitment is vital. We can't have another cock up like the summer gone. I want the kids to stay, although I think it's inevitable at least two or three will be off. Namely George Thomas, Willis and either Stevenson or Haynes.

I think the likes of Lameiras and Jones should they remain will come of age under Robins. He seems to know how to play them and they're responding. The man talks sense and you believe what he's saying. He's not making excuses and he's not dwelling on the past.

I'm not as down about this relegation as I would have been had we gone down with Slade. We are playing some good stuff, we are seeing a response from the younger lads which I wasn't sure they had in them earlier in the season and we are making it difficult for the opposition and that includes the likes of Sheffield away from home.

PUSB

D

Deleted member 2477

You forget one thing Rory. The team as it is now wont be here just like every other season under Sisu. Sell what they can, replace with cheap and loans every season instead of building a consistent team and then sack the manager when he cant perform a miracle.

I admire your positivity mate but nothing will change no matter who the manager is whilst we have these parasites running the club.

If you want a prediction from me we will finish around mid table, Robins will leave having been given false promises again around budget and support from the owners and the merry go round will start again with any young tallent being sold at the earliest oportunity.

10 years of history will repeat itself once again

rupert_bear

The most pleasing thing for me having Mark Robins back as manager is he will walk if Tim Fisher back tracks from whatever he said or promised to get him to agree to return. I still hold some hope there are other yet to be public knowledge reasons why he came back fingers crossed on that one.

On the football side MR can certainly cobble a team together, using the same squad as Venus and Slade had from January we are a different ball game now and my money is on us at least not being cast adrift bottom but one or two spots off bottom spot small comfort I know. Players who were only bench warming substitutes Lamieras and Bigiriamma have blossomed especially Bigi, Turnbull has improved and the much maligned Leigh Burge looks a different fella now. Constantly injured players Stevenson, Willis and Stokes are suddenly fit too, and the squad in general looks fitter and can put in a ninety minute performance, how many late goals did we concede ? ,that probably sealed our fate.

So yes MR has brought a bit of bounce to a tragic season and hope for next season too.I would be a bit more hopeful though if Fisher wasn't around anymore, the bloke is toxic, slovenly and looks like he needs a good wash.

Last edited:

bawtryneal

You forget one thing Rory. The team as it is now wont be here just like every other season under Sisu. Sell what they can, replace with cheap and loans every season instead of building a consistent team and then sack the manager when he cant perform a miracle.

I admire your positivity mate but nothing will change no matter who the manager is whilst we have these parasites running the club.

If you want a prediction from me we will finish around mid table, Robins will leave having been given false promises again around budget and support from the owners and the merry go round will start again with any young tallent being sold at the earliest oportunity.

10 years of history will repeat itself once again

Priority 1. Balance the books
Priority 2 Balance the books
Priority 3. Etc etc

Rory83

Thing is part of me thinks we probably won't have a club at all in a couple of years if SISU are still around. I can't see them relocating the club especially if it were outside Cov like last time. They'd wrap it up and that would be that. From that horrifying prospect it makes me even more desperate to squeeze any little bit of joy and/or hope out of watching Cov play. A few years ago I very much doubt I'd be travelling to Rochdale the game after our fate has been sealed.

The whole thing is a sorry mess. The thought of mid table obscurity in league two doesn't bare thinking about.

better days

Actually there is a very recent example that gives me a bit of hope
Dagenham and Redbridge were in a similar state last year and finished tailed off at the bottom of League 2.They brought back a former manager late in the season and although it was too late to avoid relegation he cleared out the majority of the squad and used his contacts to bring in hungry players who wanted a chance to show what they could do
From being a hopeless case last year they've spent the whole season in the top four and will almost certainly be in the play offs to get back into the league. It's been done on a modest budget too. The only saleable asset they had was JJ who was sold to us for a relatively small fee
Mark Robins strikes me as someone who could do the same sort of thng

hill83

I'm not convinced he'll still be here by the time next season starts. He won a trophy. Got us winning games and we are going down. Someone will come in for him and he'll be off. Gone by December at the very latest.

clint van damme

none of us can really know how we'll do next year until we know what recruitment strategy the owners have in mind/will finance.
Recruit early, hang on to the 3 or 4 players we have who could do OK in L2 and we have a chance.
Repeat this years fiasco and we'll be in trouble again.

Rory83

Absolutely recruitment is key. We need players with a point to prove, some experience of the division and a proven goal scorer at that level. We haven't had a consistent striker this season and goes a long way to explaining why we are where we are. I have no idea about league two players, but considering the stature of the club regardless of SISU we should still be an attractive option for the better calibre of player in that division provided we move quickly and allocate the funds needed. It would be ridiculous to appoint Robins and expect him to do the job without some backing.

Covstu

No doubt robins has been positive for the team but again he has a track record of short term blips then the slide begins so judge him after more than 10 games.

SkyBlueSid

I'm not convinced he'll still be here by the time next season starts. He won a trophy. Got us winning games and we are going down. Someone will come in for him and he'll be off. Gone by December at the very latest.
I fear you are right. Once it becomes clear that the players he wants are not going to be funded, he will just cut his losses and get a job with a club that has some prospects. Frankly, who could blame him if that happened?

Deja vu all over again.....

standupforcity

I fear you are right. Once it becomes clear that the players he wants are not going to be funded, he will just cut his losses and get a job with a club that has some prospects. Frankly, who could blame him if that happened?

Deja vu all over again.....
But it has to be different this time round. Why else would he dome back...there's got to be something going on that sparked his interest.

Rory83

But it has to be different this time round. Why else would he dome back...there's got to be something going on that sparked his interest.
If you wanted to be cynical I suppose there is a case that could be made which says Robins needs Cov as much as the club and fans need him.

His career had stagnated, I'm not sure there would have been any better or bigger options on the table than ours. That said I think we've finally got something right and now we need to back it up with recruitment.

CovBurty

my bet is on Robins walking away with a better offer/club. If he does, we are forever pants with Sisu/Fisher and the loyal few season tickets holders left having their Saturday out with family keeping the club ticking over in non league games playing at Nuneaton. Just hope he stays the course. Scary 4 months ahead.

Rory83

I think widdrington coming in is a good start, just need to get an idea of what he can do now
Well it at least shows that they appreciate we need to do all we can in a scouting sense to make the right calls.
I don't think it necessarily requires heavy investment, just the right players both in ability and character to battle us out of league two immediately.
We have to bounce straight back, this really has to be the last major fuck up under the current regime on the pitch. What they do behind the scenes is something else entirely.

CovBurty

Well it at least shows that they appreciate we need to do all we can in a scouting sense to make the right calls.
I don't think it necessarily requires heavy investment, just the right players both in ability and character to battle us out of league two immediately.
We have to bounce straight back, this really has to be the last major fuck up under the current regime on the pitch. What they do behind the scenes is something else entirely.
Yes. immediate return. no excuses.

CovBurty

Don't forget Tim going to sell all our best players again
We know that, those players were supposed to be L1 players, so to lose some won't be all that bad. Providing we get suitable replacements, not repeat this seasons rubbish replacements that relegated us. Give Robins a chance. 1 chance for me. he has to hit the bullseye first off to keep me interested. If not, time to spend more time with my family away from football.

Gazolba

After a relegation, everyone thinks they can just 'bounce back'. But it's highly unlikely to happen.
We have no idea what the team will look like or even if Robins will still be our manager.
If I was to guess, I'd say we'll be in L2 for several seasons.

CovBurty

After a relegation, everyone thinks they can just 'bounce back'. But it's highly unlikely to happen.
We have no idea what the team will look like or even if Robins will still be our manager.
If I was to guess, I'd say we'll be in L2 for several seasons.
to be honest I think most City fans fear that. but let's just have a few months of hope. give Robins time to see what he can shape for a very bruising league. I feel the downside is too sad to think about. wait n see.

Juan Kerr

I think every one is deluded if they think Robins is going to stay
Looking at your avatar and username I think you are the deluded one. Elvis is alive and well and working in Holbrooks Morrison's. You are clearly 3 or 4 stones heavier, greasier and have never had sex with a 13 year old on a regular basis. In future could you please use a more friendly username and avatar such as Jimmy Saville or Harold Shipman. Hanx.

Users who are viewing this thread