That headmaster turning kids away due to uniform (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Fair play to him on the most part I think, as long as he sent them clear uniform rules in advance.

eastwoodsdustman

The uniform is the thin end of the wedge of discipline as a whole in school. Rules are set to keep discipline in the schools and fair play to him for pushing through with it. Schools generally have better learning environments and education results where discipline is higher.

Pipehitterz

What i've seen of the people moaning, they were all wearing the wrong school uniform.
It was the same when I was at school, so I don't know what these people think they can get Away with, fair play to the headmaster
He even went on live tv News the next day and fronted up to his behaviour with glowing colours.
Top man
Little fucking shit kids and dick parents.

Today in the mail a woman was asking ' do these look like trainers ' after her son got sent home.
Every comment was yes, they resembled a black pair of Nike air force ones, big ass chunky trainers.
What a Prat she looked in a national newspaper

Nick

Administrator
Dont get me wrong, at school I would see how long through the day I could get away with wearing trainers before I got told to change them for my shoes.

We have just shelled out a fortune for school uniform as they gave us a list of what was needed. I'd have been embarrassed if it had been wrong due to me not reading it and my daughter gets sent home.

Pipehitterz

Dont get me wrong, at school I would see how long through the day I could get away with wearing trainers before I got told to change them for my shoes.

We have just shelled out a fortune for school uniform as they gave us a list of what was needed. I'd have been embarrassed if it had been wrong due to me not reading it and my daughter gets sent home.
Aye, getting Away with it is still common place, but to let your Mum moan on the telly about it, haha I would be expecting a fucking kick in off the lads the next day back
What is wrong with these people.

I used to tell the teachers I was poor and couldn't replace the ' waffle ' trousers and the shiny flecked white shirt my Mum and dad couple only just afford
GOT Away with white shirt and black trousers for whole school year when I was 14 this way. Uniform was Grey and Grey.
Felt like a hero haha

Nick

Administrator
Aye, getting Away with it is still common place, but to let your Mum moan on the telly about it, haha I would be expecting a fucking kick in off the lads the next day back
What is wrong with these people.

I used to tell the teachers I was poor and couldn't replace the ' waffle ' trousers and the shiny flecked white shirt my Mum and dad couple only just afford
GOT Away with white shirt and black trousers for whole school year when I was 14 this way. Uniform was Grey and Grey.
Felt like a hero haha

It's the whole thing about them and their kids never being in the wrong.

If mine had done something wrong or had blagged their uniform I'd have gone on TV to show her up rather than the school. she wouldn't do it again!

skybluejelly

likewise ..I got away with it for years until the headmistress caught me...she had a load of frilly white shirts she would make you wear instead..funnily enough I used to arrive in uniform after that

chiefdave

This post could be applied to a lot of things these days. If I'd ever been sent home from school for trying to get away with wearing the wrong thing I'd be in big trouble. These days you've got the parents having a go at the school and getting as much media attention as possible.

Pipehitterz

This post could be applied to a lot of things these days. If I'd ever been sent home from school for trying to get away with wearing the wrong thing I'd be in big trouble. These days you've got the parents having a go at the school and getting as much media attention as possible.
aye, most people under 30 are a sensitive bunch of spoonfed babies
no offence, but they really really are

dancers lance

I totally agree with it, my daughters school has put the hammer down this year as it needed doing (toward the end of the last school year most of the girls dressed like they were going clubbing) they have also banned all phones, mp3 players, headphones etc.

Ian1779

Fair play to the head for doing this. Telling kids that there are certain expectations in the world of employment is no bad thing.

My school have also just banned mobiles, mp3 and headphones - complete zero tolerance. About time to be honest as the kids just take the piss with them.

Gazolba

I've never understood how a uniform helps kids learn better. I believe children's behaviour is influenced more by their home life than their school life. I know my school (Caludon Castle) taught me nothing about behaviour. That all came from my parents or my own life experience.

Nick

Administrator
I've never understood how a uniform helps kids learn better. I believe children's behaviour is influenced more by their home life than their school life. I know my school (Caludon Castle) taught me nothing about behaviour. That all came from my parents or my own life experience.
You would be surprised at when little how much of an influence it has. Learning swear words for example.

The uniform is like a mental thing, I've no issue with strict uniform.

dutchman

It's about stripping kids of their individuality and conditioning them to accept orders.

It's the same reason armies and big companies do it.

Bumberclart

My kids have to have logo'd polo shirts, which we can only buy through the school at £15 each.
Same polo in Asda is 2 for a fiver. Really grinds my gears.

But, I'm all for proper rules being enforced. We get kids starting where I work, who look at you like you're mental if you tell them to do something.
I actually threatened to shove a phone up someones arse recently if he didn't put it down and do some work. He looked at me like I was removing hid right to eat and drink.
Soft arse, lazy, disrespectful twunts!

Gazolba

It's about stripping kids of their individuality and conditioning them to accept orders.

It's the same reason armies and big companies do it.
If that's the purpose, in schools it fails resoundingly on both counts.

Gazolba

My kids have to have logo'd polo shirts, which we can only buy through the school at £15 each.
Same polo in Asda is 2 for a fiver. Really grinds my gears.

But, I'm all for proper rules being enforced. We get kids starting where I work, who look at you like you're mental if you tell them to do something.
<snip>

I defy anyone to prove that wearing a uniform helps kids learn better. There are many countries (like pretty much all the Scandinavian countries) where kids don't wear school uniforms and end up better educated and better behaved than the average English kid.

Gazolba

Uniforms help reduce bullying & also reduce the pressure on kids & parents from low/no income households as a plain white shirt is a plain white shirt regardless of whether its from Savile Row or asda George.
Where I went to school (Caludon Castle in the 1960's), we had a uniform. You could get the uniform at an expensive shop or a cheaper shop. At some shops you could choose the expensive blazer or the cheaper blazer. The better off kids got the good stuff and you could easily tell their uniforms were superior. So this nonsense about everyone being the same is just that, nonsense! The better off kids also all had brand new 10-speed bikes and the less well off second-hand ones. And what proof do you have that uniforms reduce bullying? I've never heard such an outlandish claim.

stupot07

Whilst I agree in principal and it should be upheld with tbr majority, there will be kids who don't like going to school, who's attendance is really poor, especially at secondary who will purposefully wear their trainers in order to get told to go home. It gives them a get out of jail card, they probably rarely attend anyway, these kids should be given a bit more leeway if they are arsed enough to go to school, then the school sending them home because of trainers is ridiculous, same with the ones where the parents don't give a shit. At thr end of thr day as well as taking a stand with rules, schools have a duty to educate. Plus their attendance and attainment will impact on the schools league tables, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SkyBlue_Bear83

I agree on enforcing a uniform policy but I don't think sending children home is an effective way of doing this.

I feel the headmaster is just looking to get himself and the school free publicity rather than actually trying to help the students.

I thought everyone came off bad, the headmaster looked a prick and a lot of the parents ended up looking stupid.

skyblue1991

I only finished school as recently as 2008 and I have to say I did wear trainers (Lacoste) to school in years 10 and 11 so probably older than the children in question.

However the school I went to was never bothered and never regulated the uniform (Cardinal Wiseman)

Despite coming off hypocritical I completely agree with the headmasters actions.

Me personally school was important to me so wearing trainers never affected my education, however I agree that it does give a one size fits all approach which reduces bullying and starts everyone off at the same level which can only be a good thing.

When I eventually have children I will ensure the code of conduct is adhered to and my children will also adhere to it or they'll get a kick up the arse (cue social services!)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

ddsdube

I am a headteacher. As has already been said, the uniform is the first line of school rules, if you bend on that then the kids will see what else you'll bend on. Head did the right thing. I haven't checked, but I bet he's a new head drawing a line in the sand. High expectations matter!

We often ask our pupils if they want uniform or no uniform as part of a class discussion/forming an argument in English lessons. After a debate it always comes back to wanting uniform, for the reasons that have already been posted earlier.

Terry Gibson's perm

My daughter goes to a school for children with learning difficulties and they have a choice but we have always got her the uniform but sometimes not the logo t shirts, my son goes to a normal school and he has to wear a uniform, we find it easier as you don't need to think about what they have to wear each day.

Nick

Administrator
My daughter goes to a school for children with learning difficulties and they have a choice but we have always got her the uniform but sometimes not the logo t shirts, my son goes to a normal school and he has to wear a uniform, we find it easier as you don't need to think about what they have to wear each day.

That's the thing, it is the same when you don't have to wear uniform for work. It is much easier having a branded T shirt to wear as well, you don't need to think.

Terry Gibson's perm

That's the thing, it is the same when you don't have to wear uniform for work. It is much easier having a branded T shirt to wear as well, you don't need to think.

I have always had to wear a shirt and suit to work until this current job and being able to wear a pair of jeans and polo shirt but it is hard work picking the shirt each morning, would rather have a uniform for the tax benefits;)

Nick

Administrator
I have always had to wear a shirt and suit to work until this current job and being able to wear a pair of jeans and polo shirt but it is hard work picking the shirt each morning, would rather have a uniform for the tax benefits;)

It's easy if they are "work" t shirts where they are branded. Just have 5 of them ironed by Sunday and job done! Don't even need to think in the morning!

Kingokings204

I respect the head teacher here myself sticking up for basic high standards which any school should be looking to achive. I believe his is new and wants to make an impression.

Rules are rules and it was made clear by all accounts and the parents came off worse as they always do because unfortunately there are always a hand full of parents who just don't get it but that's the same anywhere in the main i guess whether it's a football match or a school. Always some stupid ones

oakey

I wonder if these parents will be desperate to get their kids into the new grammar schools and then happily fall into line with their (expensive) uniform policies.
I can see them now with, "Jordan is starting at the new grammar in September so we have started saving for the uniform." Bragging whilst 'pleading poverty' to provoke envy!

rob9872

Back in your box Corbyn!

rob9872

I am a headteacher. As has already been said, the uniform is the first line of school rules, if you bend on that then the kids will see what else you'll bend on. Head did the right thing. I haven't checked, but I bet he's a new head drawing a line in the sand. High expectations matter!

We often ask our pupils if they want uniform or no uniform as part of a class discussion/forming an argument in English lessons. After a debate it always comes back to wanting uniform, for the reasons that have already been posted earlier.

I gave you a 'like' for the content, but I bet you scoured your post for spelling, grammar and inconsistencies after identifying your position. The only real faux pas I spotted was "said" rather than "written", but I'll forgive you this once. ;-)

SkyBlue_Bear83

I respect the head teacher here myself sticking up for basic high standards which any school should be looking to achive. I believe his is new and wants to make an impression.

Rules are rules and it was made clear by all accounts and the parents came off worse as they always do because unfortunately there are always a hand full of parents who just don't get it but that's the same anywhere in the main i guess whether it's a football match or a school. Always some stupid ones
Not sure how clear it was in some cases. Some children were turned away because there shoes had metal buckles, bow ties and were too shiny.

Also doesn't help that a lot of companies advertise certain footwear which are considered unacceptable as 'school shoes' and 'ideal for school'

Nick

Administrator
Not sure how clear it was in some cases. Some children were turned away because there shoes had metal buckles, bow ties and were too shiny.

Also doesn't help that a lot of companies advertise certain footwear which are considered unacceptable as 'school shoes' and 'ideal for school'

We got Told in July about uniform, no patent shiny shoes. Just because jd sports sell black trainers as school shoes, people could apply common sense.

Terry Gibson's perm

We got Told in July about uniform, no patent shiny shoes. Just because jd sports sell black trainers as school shoes, people could apply common sense.

Helpful though as the patent shinny shoes last longer, maybe they should have a uniform for teachers rather than scruffy bastard look;)

Users who are viewing this thread