The 5 greatest inventions/discoveries of all time! (1 Viewer)

skyblueinBaku

I love using the microwave for some things, cooking mushrooms and onions in particular.

Taste bloody lovely done in the microwave. Besides that it is just warming stuff up and defrosting only.

A microwave is brilliant for cooking rice, too. I've never thought of cooking mushrooms in one, Otis. How long do they take?

Otis

A microwave is brilliant for cooking rice, too. I've never thought of cooking mushrooms in one, Otis. How long do they take?
About 3 mins.

Went on holiday in St Ives on year in a small B&B and at breakfast their mushrooms were amazing, so I asked how they did them and they said 'just a tiny bit of water, some butter, bit of salt and pepper and maybe a bit of garlic, and then cook them in a covered microwave container.'

Bloody lovely!!

They said everyone commented on how brilliant they were.

I now only cook mushrooms in the microwave these days. Same too with onions.

Last edited:

skyblueinBaku

About 3 mins.

Went on holiday in St Ives on year in a small B&B and at breakfast their mushrooms were amazing, so I asked how they did them and they said 'just a tiny bit of water, some butter, bit of salt and pepper and maybe a bit of garlic, and then cook them in a covered microwave container.'

Bloody lovely!!

They said everyone commented on how brilliant their unaware.

Thanks, Otis. I'll give it a try.

Gazolba

On the crowded train this morning, I came to the realization that the greatest inventions of mankind are soap, deodorant and mouthwash.

wingy

About 3 mins.

Bloody lovely!!

Do the onoins repeat on you?

Gaz71

About 3 mins.

Bloody lovely!!

How do you cook

Do you cook the onions with water, butter and salt and pepper too?

Gazolba

No water. Just butter, salt and pepper. Put them in a bowl and cover.
Obviously we are lacking a cookery thread on here .....

SIR ERNIE

1. The beauty of Englands green and pleasant land.
2. Golf in the wonderful Algarve climate.
3. Fly fishing Florida's Gulf Coast. Simply awesome.
4. Ice cold beer.
5. Steak and a good red.

Gazolba

Best: -
1. Fire
2. Music
3. Wheel
4. Electricity
5. Cheese

...onwards & upwards PUSB
Three of your top five weren't 'invented'. Fire always existed in the form of volcanoes and wild-fires. Music existed in the form of bird-song, babbling water or the wind whistling in trees. Electricity in the form of lightning. Only the wheel and cheese were 'invented' although when milk goes stale it eventually forms cheese by itself. I'm pretty sure the concept of the wheel must exist in nature somewhere even if just a log or a snowball rolling down a hill.

chiefdave

Sky Plus. I binned Sky off due to the cost and have tried a few other things such as Virgin and BT but nothing comes close to Sky Plus, If it wasn't so damn expensive I'd be a returning customer.

dancers lance

I get to see the greatest inventions of all time, every single day, by watching the many home shopping channels available on my ludicrously over priced, Ground Hog Day esque, Virgin TV package.

Nick

Administrator
I get to see the greatest inventions of all time, every single day, by watching the many home shopping channels available on my ludicrously over priced, Ground Hog Day esque, Virgin TV package.
Have you seen that spray painting thing to paint your walls and furniture???

dancers lance

Have you seen that spray painting thing to paint your walls and furniture???
I would say it's the 'Paint Zoom' you are talking about, it's a work of art an could be yours for only 5 easy payments of £129.99, a particularly like the 'Slap Chop'

Nick

Administrator
I would say it's the 'Paint Zoom' you are talking about, it's a work of art an could be yours for only 5 easy payments of £129.99, a particularly like the 'Slap Chop'
It's something like that, i always get drawn in and think about painting my house. Then I realise it isn't as easy as that and put my wallet away.

dancers lance

It's something like that, i always get drawn in and think about painting my house. Then I realise it isn't as easy as that and put my wallet away.
Joking aside, I have a rough rendered house and I painted it last summer (rollers don't work on it) I had to use a 3" brush (well about 10 of them) in a circular scrubbing motion and it took me about 3 weeks doing it every evening, hated it, don't even want to look at my house anymore. Then about a month later a builder mate of mine hired a pro paint sprayer for about £80 and painted his whole house, garage and just about anything he could paint in about 3 hours, I'm still not over it.

Nick

Administrator
Joking aside, I have a rough rendered house and I painted it last summer (rollers don't work on it) I had to use a 3" brush (well about 10 of them) in a circular scrubbing motion and it took me about 3 weeks doing it every evening, hated it, don't even want to look at my house anymore. Then about a month later a builder mate of mine hired a pro paint sprayer for about £80 and painted his whole house, garage and just about anything he could paint in about 3 hours, I'm still not over it.
I might have a look, Have pebbledash :(

Eventually want the smooth rendered insulation so not sure it's worth the time.

chiefdave

How easy is it with a paint sprayer to avoid getting it on the bits you're not trying to paint? Do you just mask off like usual or do you have to cover a much bigger area to avoid any mess?

Nick

Administrator
How easy is it with a paint sprayer to avoid getting it on the bits you're not trying to paint? Do you just mask off like usual or do you have to cover a much bigger area to avoid any mess?
When I looked into it, it said it goes everywhere :(

dancers lance

I might have a look, Have pebbledash :(

Eventually want the smooth rendered insulation so not sure it's worth the time.
My house is very similar to pebbledash, it has the pebbles under a thin layer of render, I'm going for the insulated, pre coloured render next time.

dancers lance

You buy a big roll of sticky backed plastic (they sell it in the hire shops) and mask your windows and doors, does not take long, then throw a couple of cheap dust sheets under the spot you are painting.

chiefdave

You buy a big roll of sticky backed plastic (they sell it in the hire shops) and mask your windows and doors, does not take long, then throw a couple of cheap dust sheets under the spot you are painting.
Might give it a go. Hall in my place needs doing but its rented so I don't want to spend a fortune or make too much mess.

Users who are viewing this thread