The bad manager and the 'good' squad (3 Viewers)

The Gentleman

I am beginning to tire of this lame tag that our squad is good enough for mid table or better, what evidence is there of this?

We may have a 'few' half decent players but that does not make a team and certainly doesn't make a squad. As we all know it takes 11 players to have a good team and even more to make up a good squad and we simply don't have it. Why people keep saying we should be doing better is beyond me because we have seen nothing to suggest that we should be any higher than we are.

I have seen plenty of times when decent players do well under bad managers and also when bad players do well under good managers but we don't seem to fall into either of these categories. I am 41 and have followed Cov since I was a kid and have never seen such a poor squad playing under a poor manager with poor owners.

Now who to blame for why we are where we are........

Firstly the players are professional and we have a lot of loans or short term contracts so surely if these players were decent they would be playing to their potential to put themselves in the shop window as we do know that our player retention is like a revolving door. They have to shoulder some blame because some of them have played at a higher level and can do better but simply aren't and it is not like we are playing in a good league. This league and the football played in it is at times no better than when I played at a good level on a Sunday.

Secondly the manager, as most will know I am one of his biggest critics and said he was shit ages ago but people said give him time. He has had 4 transfer windows and nearly 2 years in the job and we look far worse than when he took over. He cannot spot a player, has no tactics other than the square ball, cannot out think his counterparts, shows poor man management (bomb squads etc), does not know his best team (apart from still thinking Webster is still a worldy), does not know formations, talks shit in interviews and does not seem to be able to motivate. For these reasons he takes the lions share of blame for how we are playing. I understand people wanting stability at our club but the fact is he simply isn't good enough.

Lastly our owners. They take a share of blame for why things are the way they are on the pitch. We are told we have one of the biggest budgets in the league but what proof do we have of that. Rather than just being told, I want proper fan/owners discussions where numbers are shown for what is being pumped back into the playing side, I want to know what role Waggot has in transfers so I know who to point the finger at for our simply disastrous signings, I want a clear vision and not different people saying different things when we are approaching transfer windows, I would like to at least keep our promising players for a season longer because it will help us on the playing side and as in the case of Wilson, might bring in a bigger fee for the club at a later date (might also put a few more bums on seats to see good exciting players), I would like to see a 5 point plan actually happen and not just PR bullshit to try and show that they have a plan and I would also like them to sack Pressley.

The off field stuff gets done a death continually on here so I'm sure I don't need to include that but just wanted to put this down because I am thoroughly pissed off at the way we are performing as a team and sick of people saying we are good enough when there is so substance to that argument. In which case it points heavily to the fact that a bad team can perform well under a good manager which is why I want Pressley out of this club for good. We might not get a good manager but to use that as an excuse as we limp meekly into L2 is just not on in my opinion.

As we have heard that sometimes that a new manager may only bring an upturn in results for 6 games, that might be all we need to stay up because I really do fear for us a club if we get relegated because look at what we have become in L1.

hill83

This is all very balanced and not at all in the spirit of this forum. I need to see a strong stance being taken on one side or the other so I can argue with you or tickle your like button.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Take a look at other squads in this division, Walsall, Fleetwood and Chesterfield were all very poor when they came to the Ricoh yet find themselves in the top 10. Look at Clarke and Daniels, could get nowhere near our squad and yet were wanted by two clubs ahead of us.

Either Clarke and Daniels were decent players and Pressley was an idiot and poor manager for selecting other inferior ahead of them, or the players selected were superior to Clarke and Daniels and Pressley is a poor manager for under performing with them with respect to teams like Scunthorpe and Notts County.

Some areas of the squad are poor (i.e centre midfielder) but we've brought in enough players over summer and January that it should have been addressed so I put it down to poor recruitment that is hasn't been, which is down to Pressley, Waggot and whoever else identifies players etc.

Ashdown

A poor and naïve manager, setting up an inexperienced and disjointed { Cheap } squad more like. He's been handed a shit deck of cards and isn't doing much to get the best out of them either.

Hobo

I am beginning to tire of this lame tag that our squad is good enough for mid table or better, what evidence is there of this?

We may have a 'few' half decent players but that does not make a team and certainly doesn't make a squad. As we all know it takes 11 players to have a good team and even more to make up a good squad and we simply don't have it. Why people keep saying we should be doing better is beyond me because we have seen nothing to suggest that we should be any higher than we are.

I have seen plenty of times when decent players do well under bad managers and also when bad players do well under good managers but we don't seem to fall into either of these categories. I am 41 and have followed Cov since I was a kid and have never seen such a poor squad playing under a poor manager with poor owners.

Now who to blame for why we are where we are........

Firstly the players are professional and we have a lot of loans or short term contracts so surely if these players were decent they would be playing to their potential to put themselves in the shop window as we do know that our player retention is like a revolving door. They have to shoulder some blame because some of them have played at a higher level and can do better but simply aren't and it is not like we are playing in a good league. This league and the football played in it is at times no better than when I played at a good level on a Sunday.

Secondly the manager, as most will know I am one of his biggest critics and said he was shit ages ago but people said give him time. He has had 4 transfer windows and nearly 2 years in the job and we look far worse than when he took over. He cannot spot a player, has no tactics other than the square ball, cannot out think his counterparts, shows poor man management (bomb squads etc), does not know his best team (apart from still thinking Webster is still a worldy), does not know formations, talks shit in interviews and does not seem to be able to motivate. For these reasons he takes the lions share of blame for how we are playing. I understand people wanting stability at our club but the fact is he simply isn't good enough.

Lastly our owners. They take a share of blame for why things are the way they are on the pitch. We are told we have one of the biggest budgets in the league but what proof do we have of that. Rather than just being told, I want proper fan/owners discussions where numbers are shown for what is being pumped back into the playing side, I want to know what role Waggot has in transfers so I know who to point the finger at for our simply disastrous signings, I want a clear vision and not different people saying different things when we are approaching transfer windows, I would like to at least keep our promising players for a season longer because it will help us on the playing side and as in the case of Wilson, might bring in a bigger fee for the club at a later date (might also put a few more bums on seats to see good exciting players), I would like to see a 5 point plan actually happen and not just PR bullshit to try and show that they have a plan and I would also like them to sack Pressley.

The off field stuff gets done a death continually on here so I'm sure I don't need to include that but just wanted to put this down because I am thoroughly pissed off at the way we are performing as a team and sick of people saying we are good enough when there is so substance to that argument. In which case it points heavily to the fact that a bad team can perform well under a good manager which is why I want Pressley out of this club for good. We might not get a good manager but to use that as an excuse as we limp meekly into L2 is just not on in my opinion.

As we have heard that sometimes that a new manager may only bring an upturn in results for 6 games, that might be all we need to stay up because I really do fear for us a club if we get relegated because look at what we have become in L1.

Well said.

I would suggest what we have become in Lge1 is a Lge 2 side.
i wanted Pressley to do well, he has passion and an ex player, we were crying out for some stability....but he just doesn't have it as an individual, and let's face it, there is no infrastructure to support him.

i think a good way of assessing where we actually are as a club, is to take away the loan players from the squad, because they are a temporary asset. Then look at what is left and see whether you think we should be at least mid table. I think our league position is realistic regardless of the manager.

For me the problem is bigger than the manager.

Look at it this way. The vast majority of players who leave go on to be better players almost immediately. Just look at Sheffers and Clarke. Scored a double in virtually his 1st game for Yeovil. I for one think its down to our coaching. Its just not good enough. Luke Williams ripped League 1 a new arsehole with Scunny. As soon as he comes here, he looks shy and timid. Something isn't right. I would say sack Pressley and the entire coaching staff, but right now, we couldn't afford to sack Pressley, let alone the whole of his staff

stupot07

I tend to agree with CCFC, whilst I don't think this squad is top half material, it's should be doing better than 20th. Pressley isn't getting the best out of the players he has at his disposal. He keeps changing formations, lines up, etc. His man management skills are poor, keeps playing players out of position, etc, he has to take his lionshare blame to where we are.

And agree with you Gentleman, nicely balanced piece, all 3 parties should take blame on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Grendel

Look at it this way. The vast majority of players who leave go on to be better players almost immediately. Just look at Sheffers and Clarke. Scored a double in virtually his 1st game for Yeovil. I for one think its down to our coaching. Its just not good enough. Luke Williams ripped League 1 a new arsehole with Scunny. As soon as he comes here, he looks shy and timid. Something isn't right. I would say sack Pressley and the entire coaching staff, but right now, we couldn't afford to sack Pressley, let alone the whole of his staff

Really?

The vast majority disappear without trace.

We bring in good players and they seem to turn into shit ones overnight. Either its the curse of the Leicester shirt under the Ricoh or theres something wrong with the coaching

stupot07

To be fair I was chatting to a Scunthorpe fan walkin up to the ground on Tuesday and he was raving about Williams, was brilliant for them playing centrally........pressley goes ahead and plays him left wing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

gally9

Pressley hasnt got a clue.. ridiculous.. he appears to have to play someone out of position.. Jordan Willis.. i dont even know what he is anymore!

The Gentleman

I tend to agree with CCFC, whilst I don't think this squad is top half material, it's should be doing better than 20th. Pressley isn't getting the best out of the players he has at his disposal. He keeps changing formations, lines up, etc. His man management skills are poor, keeps playing players out of position, etc, he has to take his lionshare blame to where we are.

And agree with you Gentleman, nicely balanced piece, all 3 parties should take blame on this.

As you know, I agree with you on Pressley but what have we seen this season to suggest that the players are better than our position suggests? We have been poor all season and the players we have are all older than they used to be (obvious I know) so won't be as good as they used to be, if they were any good at all. Also, isn't the reason why we get so many frees or loans is because they aren't really wanted by their previous or current employers.

I know the above screams that Pressley just plain old doesn't know what he is doing, but I am still to see if the players we have really are any good. I suppose (and hope) that Pressley goes and at least we'll get a chance to see if they are. The other problem we have is that because Pressley hasn't strengthened the team in all of the areas which were needed, the players that he did get find it difficult to play to Pressley's style because our football doesn't move fast or really wide so the majority of players who he has got (loads of forwards) just do not get the service and thus, we don't really get to see if they are any good.

I wonder what our stats are for the season on how many chances we have created

Gazolba

The fact that when players leave, they do better than they did for us. You would be amazed how bad a poor manager can make good players perform. And that goes for any business, not just football.

Users who are viewing this thread