The Best Decade For Football/Music ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

It's probably an age thing but for me my favourite decade for football and music was the 70's.Rock music was great as you had bands like Deep Purple,Black Sabbath,The Who,Pink Floyd,and of course a certain David Bowie.And the City had Ferguson and Wallace,Tommy Hutchison,and the West End was always lively on matchdays,plus you got to see the likes of Greaves,Best,Charlton, Banks,etc.Fashion was a bit dodgy with flares and huge Harry Hill type collars,but for me the 70's was good and the night life in the city centre was a lot better than it is now too !

bringbackrattles

Always enjoy these threads of yours BBR..

Yeah 70's for Me too.. Very late 60.s to mid 70's was a magical era for music.
I had a feeling you'd take a look ! the 60's were great too but I got into rock music after going as a 16 year old to the Bath festival,and saw Zeppelin top the bill there,but also loved the session by Canned Heat and many others that were on.That concert started a love of going to concerts right up to the present time. But even though I've seen all the top bands over the years,I would have loved to have seen the Beatles live !

musicmanskyblue

I only liked the very late 60's.. 69 onward s really... Do You remember when Zeppelin played in Cov at the Locarno?.. about 73 I think.. There was a bomb scare just before they played Stairway to heaven.. I never saw the Beatles either. I only discovered recently that they played in Cov.. I think it was the Cov theatre but not sure. Missed out on seeing Free at the Colin Campbell too..

bringbackrattles

I only liked the very late 60's.. 69 onward s really... Do You remember when Zeppelin played in Cov at the Locarno?.. about 73 I think.. There was a bomb scare just before they played Stairway to heaven.. I never saw the Beatles either. I only discovered recently that they played in Cov.. I think it was the Cov theatre but not sure. Missed out on seeing Free at the Colin Campbell too..
Free are my all time favourite band with Fire and Water best album for me.Talking to a fellow music fan recently he said many a band played in Cov at the start of their careers,Motorhead,U2,and many others.I missed that Zeppelin gig but did hear about it. Bit random but one night in Mr Georges night club Billy Fury came on stage in the early 80's,remember him ? He was terrible though and did two songs and got heckled off,a bit sad as I heard he once was a big name ?

Malaka

70's Sabbath:guitar2:, AC/DC, Sex Pistols, Elton John, George Best, Tommy Hutchison, Docker Pockets, Doc Marten's, Jean Jackets (Not Denim), Wimpy.
I saw AC/DC at Cov Theatre with Bon Scott, it was my first gig £2 to get in, Van Halen supporting Black Sabbath £4
Maybe it was just my youth but I loved the 70's

Otis

The best decade for football and music has to be the 60's.

I think you mean personally to each poster though don't you?

If it was just down to football and music it would have to be the 1960's

As a City supporter, the Jimmy Hill years and promotion to the highest level.

England winning the World Cup. Charlton, Greaves (probably England's greatest ever striker), Bobby Moore, George Best.

Music, the Stones, the Small Faces, the Kinks, the Beach Boys, the Beatles, the Who, Dylan, the Doors, Hendrix, Pink Floyd etc.

The 70's started the worst of the terrace violence and twice I was attacked for no reason

Has to be the 60's.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Did you ever listen to Bad English BBR? My missus loves 'em. John Waite was the singer.
My personal music era (as an old fart!) was the 60's. I was brought up listening to early rock n' roll in the late 50's with acts like Elvis, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran et al, but really got into music big time when the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Animals etc came to the fore. I absolutely love Pink Floyd but couldn't really get into their music until the "Meddle" album. John Lennon was my ultimate music hero though. I had to take a couple of days off work when he was murdered. It hit me that hard!
The 70's killed music for me, well, I guess after 1974-75 with all that disco crap and so called bubble-gum shite!
Oh yeah. I forgot the footie bit! I guess the 70's were the best times for me as well. I remember being chased down Far Gosford street by a huge mob of Chelsea supporters once! Just as I got away, a copper smacked me with his truncheon coz he thought I was with them! Bastard!

Last edited:

lifeskyblue

Like many of the older generation on here in torn between the 60s n 70s. In the 60s the excitement of the Hill era and explosion in different types of music easily available. By the 70s some of CCFC best ever players, but football terraces increasingly full of trouble. As for music some great progressive rock etc but don't forget it was also the time of Gary glitter and glam rock...enough to put anyone off. Thank goodness for the era of punk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

Younger ones obviously like the 90's and this decade I guess,but for me they're rubbish and got no style at all in music or football !

Users who are viewing this thread