The CT has a lot to answer for (1 Viewer)

asiaskyblues

Recent articles that were totally fabricated about Baker coming back and Clarke returning leaves one thinking 'is this journalism?'
We also have the CCFC / Wasps / CCC / ACL / Higgs fighting and through it all the medium by what we, especially we that live elsewhere, get our news and form our opinion is through the CT, and possibly the radio.
I have been a critic of Mr.Gilbert and recently Mr.Turner for what I perceive to be, not lying, but stretching the truth. I am 50 so I knew journalism before the internet so half the problem lies with me, but it begs the question are recent CT stories of statium building, Higgs Centre takeovers, Clarke wants to return and so many others, are they pieces of journalism, informing articles or just plain idle gossip?
I honestly believe a lot of recent happenings have been blown out of all proportion by The CT. They will say they are informing us but we all know they like to add their 5p's worth to gloss the story as they are 'journalists'.
People may think The CT are 'just doing their job' and not part of the equation, but they are like the kid at school who eggs people on to start a fight but never actually fights themselves.
Again people may say it's modern journalism where the objective is not necessarily inform the public but to 'tell it like it is'.
But, for me, because of our yearning for a successful, or just plain normal, football club we stick to The CT's every word as if it were gospel, when in fact it's the opposite. How much The CT are to blame for the current problems with CCFC is irrelevant but they do have to take a large portion of the blame for raising emotions and hate-felt feelings among supporters.

stupot07

There is definitely something going on with the moderation of comments too. Any that seems to criticise any side other than sisu get deleted, its so obviously because they leave the replies in which usually contain abuse about them being a "sisufanboy' or 'sisu stooge'.

I've commented before with no problem but then weds/Thursday I tried to comments on 2 articles basically saying that between them all incl sisu, they're doing a great job of shafting the academy, the club and us fans. Nothing liabilous, nothing abusive. Got the green I on saying waiting to be moderated before publishing. They were never published, but lots of sisu scum, sisu out, etc, etc had been posted, moderated and published after mine had been rejected.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
If you look through old articles you can see "comment deleted" followed by "you are a sisu stooge"

I think somebody is playing the system somehow with the voting.

The other issue of course is that you can make endless accounts on there to comment

NorthernWisdom

If you look through old articles you can see "comment deleted" followed by "you are a sisu stooge"

I think somebody is playing the system somehow with the voting.

The other issue of course is that you can make endless accounts on there to comment

I'm still disposed to suggest that the main issues with that site are a borked commenting system. It deleted my initial ones, now others don't show in my history but... boring myself by going through the article comments again (that's 10 minutes i'll never get back) they're all there...

eastwoodsdustman

Its been a council mouthpiece since the whole mess kicked off. Any of the so called journalists who are writing the biased stuff should be embarrased. They are in bed with the council and I have heard mention of deals with the council over their former buildings and the university.
If you need to post something on there why not try something anti CCFC get it through and then edit the post if it will let you.

Nick

Administrator
I'm still disposed to suggest that the main issues with that site are a borked commenting system. It deleted my initial ones, now others don't show in my history but... boring myself by going through the article comments again (that's 10 minutes i'll never get back) they're all there...
Yeah I think the voting also gets abuse. As does the duplicate sign-up to get a point across.

Nick

Administrator
What was interesting was the guy who was going on about the first time he ever watched the "blues".

The system on here picked up somebody trying to register but being blocked with variants of the user name "Coventry blues" about the same time that was linked in a couple of ways to other accounts banned for it.

It would be so easy to just have 10 accounts there, and just drown out anything.

Much like people tried to do on here when people spoke about wasps the other day.

Nick

Administrator
I have to say though, it's worth being careful on the old paranoia. It has shades of the SISU Rent Boy / SISU Plant stuff when we went to Northampton.

Some people just have a different opinion, after all!

Have to be paranoid about people's motives when they try to sign-up a few accounts, using proxies around the world and don't know the name of the football team they are signing up about (in that example).

It's world's away from just having a different opinion.

armybike

With regards the comments section at CT do you think people actually read it?

This isn't a confrontational question, more of a general point.

I agree that some of the posters are there are total nutjobs and even if one person read their clearly derailed comments it doesn't help the CCFC situation.

More recently the Mirror Group websites have the 'rolling into another story as you go down the page' set up, rather than the single article/story per page format (this might only be on the mobile version of the pages though, as don't check on desktop).

NorthernWisdom

More recently the Mirror Group websites have the 'rolling into another story as you go down the page' set up, rather than the single article/story per page format (this might only be on the mobile version of the pages though, as don't check on desktop).

Yeah, their mobile version is broken.

This may be no bad thing if it avoids the comments mind, some are indeed utter mentalists... or former GMK'ers ;)

Nick

Administrator
I think people do read the comments, unless they are reading the paper version in which case they can wait a week and see the letters page!

Nick

Administrator
Yeah, their mobile version is broken.

This may be no bad thing if it avoids the comments mind, some are indeed utter mentalists... or former GMK'ers ;)
There's no doubt there are a few in there who aren't plants. They are just like bob latchford on ecstasy and cans of red bull!

They refuse to post on here because they get called out on just posting the same incorrect stuff over and over :(

clint van damme

Recent articles that were totally fabricated about Baker coming back and Clarke returning leaves one thinking 'is this journalism?'
We also have the CCFC / Wasps / CCC / ACL / Higgs fighting and through it all the medium by what we, especially we that live elsewhere, get our news and form our opinion is through the CT, and possibly the radio.
I have been a critic of Mr.Gilbert and recently Mr.Turner for what I perceive to be, not lying, but stretching the truth. I am 50 so I knew journalism before the internet so half the problem lies with me, but it begs the question are recent CT stories of statium building, Higgs Centre takeovers, Clarke wants to return and so many others, are they pieces of journalism, informing articles or just plain idle gossip?
I honestly believe a lot of recent happenings have been blown out of all proportion by The CT. They will say they are informing us but we all know they like to add their 5p's worth to gloss the story as they are 'journalists'.
People may think The CT are 'just doing their job' and not part of the equation, but they are like the kid at school who eggs people on to start a fight but never actually fights themselves.
Again people may say it's modern journalism where the objective is not necessarily inform the public but to 'tell it like it is'.
But, for me, because of our yearning for a successful, or just plain normal, football club we stick to The CT's every word as if it were gospel, when in fact it's the opposite. How much The CT are to blame for the current problems with CCFC is irrelevant but they do have to take a large portion of the blame for raising emotions and hate-felt feelings among supporters.

I've said for a long time, any journalist worth their salt, or anyone with aspirations of being a top notch journalist would have dug and dug and dug into this whole sorry mess until they'd got to the bottom of it going right back to the sale of Highfield Road.

Sadly the CET employs half wits and council lickspittles.

tim07

The only thing the CET really gets right is that SISU are wholly responsible for their own demise and the parlous state they have reduced our beloved football club to. Apart from that it's a shitty rag on every level. If your only sporting interests are rugby and bowls, you're probably happy with it. Don't waste your money or time on it.

Nick

Administrator
The only thing the CET really gets right is that SISU are wholly responsible for their own demise and the parlous state they have reduced our beloved football club to. Apart from that it's a shitty rag on every level. If your only sporting interests are rugby and bowls, you're probably happy with it. Don't waste your money or time on it.
Yeah it does play to the mis informed well. I think it's their target audience.

Wheelfass

Yeah it does play to the mis informed well. I think it's their target audience.
Apparently there isn't much of a target audience to play to these days. Just 18k daily in Coventry and 900 in Nuneaton. That's down from 130,000+ daily in the 70's. A long time ago I know but just saying.

tim07

Gilbert did a fair job of unpicking the SISU deceits, but at times seems an apologist for all the rag's other failings. Particularly it's dismal sport pages.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Gilbert did a fair job of unpicking the SISU deceits, but at times seems an apologist for all the rag's other failings. Particularly it's dismal sport pages.

Yes, but what about the other deceits? The ones the last reporter lost his job over...

torchomatic

Yes, but what about the other deceits?

I was surprised when he said there wouldn't be a CT campaign to save the academy, etc. He said it was a "fan led " campaign and they were behind the Trust one. No posters, no truck driving around the city spreading the message. He also stated that the #bringcityhome campaign was "fan led" also all the blurb said "Telegraph Campaign".

Its bias is shocking.

Nick

Administrator
I was surprised when he said there wouldn't be a CT campaign to save the academy, etc. He said it was a "fan led " campaign and they were behind the Trust one. No posters, no truck driving around the city spreading the message. He also stated that the #bringcitycampaign was "fan led" also all the blurb said "Telegraph Campaign".

Its bias is shocking.
The John Terry one?

NorthernWisdom

In his defence would you criticise your own emploer?!?

I know I have a personal and professional view wrt my own, and they don't always coincide. I'm sure he's the same... but what is he expected to do?!?

Nick

Administrator
In his defence would you criticise your own emploer?!?

I know I have a personal and professional view wrt my own, and they don't always coincide. I'm sure he's the same... but what is he expected to do?!?
Yeah I can't see why he would say that the sports are shit

tim07

You're right. 'Bringcityhome' WAS celebrated as a Telegraph Campaign. And Gilbert is right....it WAS fan led. When these things are pointed out to him Simon can get a bit sniffy. Or very quiet.

Nick

Administrator
You're right. 'Bringcityhome' WAS celebrated as a Telegraph Campaign. And Gilbert is right....it WAS fan led. When these things are pointed out to him Simon can get a bit sniffy. Or very quiet.

You missed out award winning.

torchomatic

I wonder if he's off? What with his big announcement on Facebook. On Wednesday. At 8pm.

tim07

That's fine, I'm pleased for him and wish him well. I suppose he's entitled to get spiky when reminded that his employer is a shitty newspaper that utterly fails it's readership on every level. So not too many people, then
Perhaps he could embark on another award winning campaign to turn it into a local newspaper?

Users who are viewing this thread