The lack of consistency (2 Viewers)

Otis

Yes and a single win last game can get you promotion. Don't analyse every result. Stay in touch. If you can pull away fantastic; but even then teams tumble. So stay in touch and Sprint a way in last three games, that's the time to find a run.
I'm not analysing every result though. It's a group of results at a time where we move forwards, seem to have momentum and then get knocked back down again.

It's the manner of defeats too. I am never one to moan if we give it our best shot in matches and then lose, but seemingly on Saturday Forest Green were first to every ball and we just didn't match them. That's what brings about the questioning and quite rightly so.

It's little groups of matches where we pull of great results and then follow them up with dismal efforts that then brings the analytical study.

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
I agree with otis, look other teams around us, majority of them have put a run together to get them where they are, we just need one good run give us that cushion and space for these inconsistent losses away from home but were not which so frustrating. we are like snakes and ladders right now we love landing on the snake and sliding back down the board lol.

Otis

I agree with otis, look other teams around us, majority of them have put a run together to get them where they are, we just need one good run give us that cushion and space for these inconsistent losses away from home but were not which so frustrating. we are like snakes and ladders right now we love landing on the snake and sliding back down the board lol.
We have no divine right to win at Forest Green and Morecambe, but with the best defence in the division and one of the league's top goalscorers, we should be able to grind out draws at least.

Last edited:

Generally Midfield

We have no divine right to win at Forest Green and Morecambe, but with the best defence in the division and one of the league's top goalscorers, we should be able to grind our draws at least.

You're right that consistency is key. It's all too easy to imagine we beat Accrington then lose to Colchester. If autos are looking tough then hopefully we've still got enough to get into the playoffs and with our cup/knockout record over the last couple of seasons we'd hopefully be well placed to go up anyway

steve82

1 how many of their 10 played yesterday?
2. It doesn't matter what happened yesterday, the end of season decides promotion.
3 If we don't get promotion, or, even a play off place it won't necessarily mean progress hasn't been made...but fans won't see it!!

When I was a senior manager end of year results meant a lot, monthly results were interesting; weekly and daily results less so, almost a distraction.

Basically you can over analyse things and get too hung up on blips

Solution: keep faith in your core tasks and philosophy, keep your eye and belief on the long term goal horizon.

Interestingly 9 of the 10 were in the match day squad. 6 of the 10 new signings were in the starting 11 and 2 came on as subs, 1 a unused sub.

Fair to say there a much changed squad.

Sky Blue Harry H

I can see us beating Accrington Stanley, but like a lot on here, if MR persists with a half crocked Doyle (give him a rest before it becomes long term) partnering a half fit Kelly (hopefully up to speed by Saturday) I worry about Colchester, Wycombe and Mansfield (all possible defeats) I would take 3 points now from those 3 away games, but the worry is that losses to Mansfield and Wycombe open up that gap.

steve82

It must just be me who's relatively happy with how the season is panning out and on par with my initial estimations of just taking 6th or 7th spot.

It's a though league to crack at the first attempt. There are stronger sides in this league than us especially taking into account the way injuries have impacted the team.

I actually think we will get promotion at the second attempt next year and be a stronger side for it going into L1

steve82

I can see us beating Accrington Stanley, but like a lot on here, if MR persists with a half crocked Doyle (give him a rest before it becomes long term) partnering a half fit Kelly (hopefully up to speed by Saturday) I worry about Colchester, Wycombe and Mansfield (all possible defeats) I would take 3 points now from those 3 away games, but the worry is that losses to Mansfield and Wycombe open up that gap.

I can actually see Accrington coming and getting the win here Saturday. Accrington are a good hard working side and fully worth there position in the league.

Saturday night could be interesting.

Londonccfcfan

Heh. One loss after all the buzz of the last few weeks and the sky is falling. (TBF, it did feel like it at times yesterday but that was more to do with the amount of rain.)

Maybe I’ve seen Cov too many times but I was concerned about how confident so many fans were as, for me, this had banana skin all over it.

Come on people. We’re Cov. We never make things easy.

I’ll agree that we need to score more and that’s been our problem all season. We’re 7 goals down on what we should have scored I think. That said, our strikers are on better form than earlier in the season so I’m confident enough for the run in.

That we’re in 8th, 4 points off 10th place and 4 points off automatic promotion is OK for me based on how I thought this season might pan out. 6 points out of every 9 should see us through.
always a massive overreaction after one loss.

Londonccfcfan

It must just be me who's relatively happy with how the season is panning out and on par with my initial estimations of just taking 6th or 7th spot.

It's a though league to crack at the first attempt. There are stronger sides in this league than us especially taking into account the way injuries have impacted the team.

I actually think we will get promotion at the second attempt next year and be a stronger side for it going into L1

I'm in the same boat, completely in agreement with you.

Well happy with the position we are in. I wasn't confident about FGR , they have a massive budget, got two top strikers in the League one whom they bought off Exeter!

Still very very confident about that the elusive run will come. It may come in the last few games (as long it comes I'm not fussed)

All this bollocks about how many games we lost. We have won a shed load too! last year the teams that finished 6th and 7th only had 18 wins!!!!!! and yet they only lost 11!

Quite safely say if we win another 11 and lose another 5! that's 83 points may well be good enough for 3rd place!

Londonccfcfan

it's not an over reaction, we have 3 away league games on the spin coming up. If we perform like we did Saturday we could leave ourselves with too much ground to make up.
ive said that half a dozen times this season (if we perform like Saturday we will lose our next game)

Last Saturday has no relevance to this Saturday! its another game another day.

I'm very confident we will pick up 4 points from next 2 games. we will draw against Accringtoon and confident we will beat Colchester. or vice versa.

Either way id still back us to win our last 5 games on the spin which look easier on paper! we will see.

I'm not changing my opinion in a weekly basis cos of one result.

steve82

I'm in the same boat, completely in agreement with you.

Well happy with the position we are in. I wasn't confident about FGR , they have a massive budget, got two top strikers in the League one whom they bought off Exeter!

Still very very confident about that the elusive run will come. It may come in the last few games (as long it comes I'm not fussed)

All this bollocks about how many games we lost. We have won a shed load too! last year the teams that finished 6th and 7th only had 18 wins!!!!!! and yet they only lost 11!

Quite safely say if we win another 11 and lose another 5! that's 83 points may well be good enough for 3rd place!

Plenty of football to be played, and all teams hit the wall at some point at the season. Hopefully we carry on stumbling and miss the wall...

If not I'm more confident about a promotion next year heading into L1 with a stronger squad with "our own" better for another season in L2.

clint van damme

ive said that half a dozen times this season (if we perform like Saturday we will lose our next game)

I'm very confident we will pick up 4 points from next 2 games. we will draw against Accringtoon and confident we will beat Colchester. or vice versa.

Either way id still back us to win our last 5 games on the spin which look easier on paper! we will see.

nor am I. our away form is poor and with 3 away games on the spin we could be in trouble unless we sort it out.
Of the challenging teams only Exeter have a worst away record, (on goal difference only).

Londonccfcfan

nor am I. our away form is poor and with 3 away games on the spin we could be in trouble unless we sort it out.
Of the challenging teams only Exeter have a worst away record, (on goal difference only).

Don't worry its just unfortunate we beat MK Dons in FA cup an dnot in the league.

We will win plenty of games away.

Hobo

Yeah, 5 points behind doesn't appear that bad when you just look at it in isolation, but after Tuesday we were just 1 point behind behind 3rd and 2 points behind 2nd and now we are 5 points behind 2nd and 4 points behind 3rd.

Just shows how a single defeat changes things and the problem yesterday was that this was Forest Green, who in 13 games against top 6 sides have only won twice.

Both against us.

An improvement is clearly needed.

Rowland Winter is doing a fantastic job at Coventry Rugby and I think it is worthwhile analysing his approach:

1. Coventry Rugby should be in a higher league (Coventry City we would agree the same).
2. Aim to get them promoted, no time scale, but a four year plan to develop the club and an aim to bring local talent into the first team.
3. (Key point for me) Sometimes the more you want something and grasp at it the further you push it away. For me this is city fans who expect a manager to build a team squad in a season or a,season and a half.
4. Open communication with the fans, they can attend training and talk to him.
5. He has had criticism, Coventrys box kicking is one. Answer the players are doing it as part of our game plan, it is a valid and accepted tactic but most fans don't understand it. I note that during the,season the box kicking has improved and got better; because it has been coached.
6. Coventry first defeat in about 20 games, and we got absolutely spanked. at Blackheath, came with practically our strongest team. His reaction was to put the same team out next game (and he normally rotates a few).
7. Another key philosophy of Winter, don't criticise individuals (I.e Burge, Biamou, McNulty) as it divides the squad. Because it results in what about him and what about his mistake. So you go out as a team you come in as a team. Alex Ferguson never criticised his players when they were losing, he only picked fault when they won.

Fans yo yo their opinion from game to game. Let the manager and his team get on with the job and accept the job might take more than one season. Jack Charlton developed Sheffielld Wednesday over a number of seasons. Likewise Joe Royle at Oldham. Burton didn't happen overnight.

Last edited:

Otis

Yeah, guess it is all about aspirations and expectations.

For me is it automatic promotion, as I see the playoffs as a bit of a lottery and it could take just one goalkeeping howler or dodgy penalty to end your season in an instant.

Otis

I would argue that last Saturday may well have relevance to this Saturday. A win or a draw against Forest Green would have meant that a draw against Accrington would be okay.

As we lost on Saturday we now have to win this coming Saturday or could be further points adrift.

Londonccfcfan

I would argue that last Saturday may well have relevance to this Saturday. A win or a draw against Forest Green would have meant that a draw against Accrington would be okay.

As we lost on Saturday we now have to win this coming Saturday or could be further points adrift.

It's not a must win any more or less than any other game.

4 points from next two is target. Obviously hoping for 6. But I would take 4 against these two teams.

Otis

It's not a must win any more or less than any other game.

4 points from next two is target. Obviously hoping for 6. But I would take 4 against these two teams.
I do believe it is a must win. A draw will have given us just 1 point out of the last 2 matches, just 1point out of a potential 6.

We draw we will surely lose ground.

Londonccfcfan

I do believe it is a must win. A draw will have given us just 1 point out of the last 2 matches, just 1point out of a potential 6.

We draw we will surely lose ground.

We won't lose ground vs Accrington if we draw against them, and then beat Colchester.

Don't look at games in isolation. Look at games in groups and target points.

I look at next two games as a 4 points.

Either way we pick up 4 points from next two games we will be sitting in top 6/7 next Tuesday night. So we will have made progress on top 7 with positive goal diff to boot. Rather than lose ground as you say.

Otis

We won't lose ground vs Accrington if we draw against them, and then beat Colchester.

Don't look at games in isolation. Look at games in groups and target points.

I look at next two games as a 4 points.

Either way we pick up 4 points from next two games we will be sitting in top 6/7 next Tuesday night. So we will have made progress on top 7 with positive goal diff to boot. Rather than lose ground as you say.
I'm not looking in isolation though am I.

You are talking about two games and I am talking about two games.

You talk of 4 points out if the next 2 and I am talking about potentially 1 point from the the 2 games, Saturday gone and Saturday to come.

Of course we wouldn't lose ground on Accrington, but would most likely lose ground on many other teams.

Londonccfcfan

I'm not looking in isolation though am I.

You are talking about two games and I am talking about two games.

You talk of 4 points out if the next 2 and I am talking about potentially 1 point from the the 2 games, Saturday gone and Saturday to come.

Of course we wouldn't lose ground on Accrington, but would most likely lose ground on many other teams.

Thank god it's NOT a must win as by definition.

Must wins will be at the end of the season. When it becomes all or nothing.

Hobo

Well I was on just after midnight, then about 3am and then around 5 am and been hovering about most of the day.

So pretty close to 24 hours I would say.

Over analysing

Gazolba

<snip>

Since our team gets weaker every season, I do not follow your logic.
We will probably lose McNulty, Jones and Ponticelli at the end of this season.
Next season will be a newly rebuilt team yet again.

Otis

I agree. I think we will be weaker next season, would lose our best players, attendances would drop, we would need a rebuild and we have no idea what sort of deal Wasps will offer us.

We could very easily be just a midtable (or worse) League Two side next year. If that happens I would expect several years down amongst the dead men and a few relegation battles to boot.

Londonccfcfan

I agree. I think we will be weaker next season, would lose our best players, attendances would drop, we would need a rebuild and we have no idea what sort of deal Wasps will offer us.

We could very easily be just a midtable (or worse) League Two side next year. If that happens I would expect several years down amongst the dead men and a few relegation battles to boot.

Our team/squad is stronger this year than last year.

Otis

Our team/squad is stronger this year than last year.

It is. No dispute there. The attendances will surely drop next year though and this season we have been a big fish in the small pond. Next season there will be 4 teams down from League One.

If we don't go up this season it would seem very likely we will lose our best players and it will be starting all over again.

I do honestly believe we will be weaker next season.

steve82

We can only speculate as to who may go if anyone.... McNulty might be happy to stay and help with a second attempt at promotion if MR is still the gaffer. JJ won't likely go anywhere as he's just had a serious knee injury so any suitors will wanna see there's no after effects when he's back fit and up to speed.

Ponticelli isn't near impacting the first team currently but I've high hope for next year from him with this seasons experience and another preseason as a pro.

Plus added the fact that we've a new pool of free agents to sift through to try and tempt into the aims of the manager.

Yes the home attendance may drop but that's everyone's call to make to if they wanna renew or not. it may drop a small percentage with people who believe it's now or never but I think there's still a competitive budget to work with and high earners like Kyle Reid will be off the books by then.

Depends if you wanna stand by your club or not*

*by "you" I don't mean you personally...

Users who are viewing this thread