"...the lads all wanted Shaw & Carsley to take over because they really like them" (1 Viewer)

The CableGuy

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...-richard-shaw-s-manager-hopes-92746-31850111/

Baker conceded that the uncertainty has unsettled the players: “At the minute no-one knows if they are coming or going so I think they need to get it sorted as soon as possible.

“When Andy Thorn went, the lads all wanted Shawsy and Lee Carsley to take over because they really like them. But obviously results haven’t gone our way so something needs to happen and sooner rather than later. “Whether they give it to Shawsy or get someone new in I think everyone would have wanted it done already to be honest. ”

Like them?

:thinking about:

Perhaps that's the problem.

Shouldn't a Manager be respected? Or even feared, by the players?

Can't wait until Ince or Robins or Money gives this lot a good kick up the arse. Maybe then they'll play for more than 20 minutes per game.

Evans020

Ahhhh how sweet..fuck what the lads want..we don't want a mate of theirs at the helm so they get light duties for the next year..this bunch need a regime a leader and a good kick up the Jacksie

AFCCOVENTRY

Time to have a manager who won't be your mate but is your boss.

The players need to learn to respect management. :jerkit:

Otis

As soon as I heard players talking about "Shawsy" the other day I knew there was a problem with hierarchy and respect and station.

It was all matey matey with Thorn too and Coleman and Dowie. :facepalm:

coundonskyblue

These players do need kicking into touch.

The only problem is how they react to it though. Micky Adams tried to be the disciplinarian and the players just stopped playing for him. The fact the players know they can get rid of a manager they don't like is everything that is wrong with football.

Otis

You have to think if Alex Ferguson was just starting out in football management today he wouldn't last 5 minutes.

CJparker

Because it really worked with RSM Adams and Major Boothroyd didn't it???

dongonzalos

Agree. Which is why it works with Fergie. If he gets a sniff of that then the player is got rid off, no matter who they are, Keane, van nistleroy, Ince, stam.

Otis

He's old school and is accepted as such. Players going to Man U know exactly how it's going to be in advance. Hence my point.

If a new manager tries to come in and change things he immediately comes across resentment from players.

The CableGuy

These players do need kicking into touch.

The only problem is how they react to it though. Micky Adams tried to be the disciplinarian and the players just stopped playing for him. The fact the players know they can get rid of a manager they don't like is everything that is wrong with football.

MA could be a bit of a nut case at times (Coachgate, Barnsleygate) but the fact remains that he got us our highest league finish (8th, Championship) since relegation from the Premier League. He was also the only City Manager in recent times who was wanted by another club (WBA).

The only other Manager since who got us high up the table (for a while anyway) was another hard-case, AB. Weren't we 4th coming up Xmas that year?

Of course it all went to shit later for both Managers but that's City for you.

Grendel

Another CET interview with Carl "Rent a Quote" Baker. What I want to know is when its one of his parents' birthday's again so he can put in another performance.

skyblueinBaku

Man management. That is what is required here. The new manager can be friendly with the players, but not be their 'mate'. He needs to set out clearly what he expects from them. He doesn't need to yell at them like a Regimental Sergeant Major, just firm and clear in what he expects. He must show the players respect if he expects to be given respect by them. But they must know where they stand - he is the boss and he makes the decisions and expects his instructions to be carried out.

Enough of this 'Shawsy', 'Carso' nonsense, and enough of this ludicrous 'we want Shawsy to get the job because we like him'. The new manager will be the bloke chosen by Fisher and Waggot, not the mate chosen by the players; and if the players don't like it, they can go.

Who do you think is the best man manager of the candidates?

D

Deleted member 4232

In reference to original post.

BANG ON.

Yeah, working for a boss you like is a laugh, and that, but it is not necessarily productive nor does it produce good personal growth.

Are our crop really ambitious enough to want to be challenged and cut straight?

D

Deleted member 4232

You have to think if Alex Ferguson was just starting out in football management today he wouldn't last 5 minutes.

He had the same start as Villas Boas at Chelski, and look how talkSPORT dragged his body behind a bus.

Old men, annoyed a job was being held from one of their mates, by a stylish, young, aspiring manager.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I think this shows in their performances and Shaw's post match interviews. I like the bloke but he is too nicey nicey, like Thorn was.

I'm still sure thats why Boothroyd got the boot. Players stopped playing for him, because of his strict regime, and got a nicey nicey replacement in Thorn.

Nick

Administrator
We need somebody to come in and put them in their place, Thorn was their mate and so was Shaw.

They need to come in and command respect, not be really liked but to get the best out of them.

At school it was always my teachers who were a bit strict and did give you a bollocking if you did wrong, the ones I did like were the ones who would let me mess about and sneak out early to play football or something, safe to say I didn't do well in their lessons as I didn't need to do much.

Sick Boy

I have worked for a boss who I respected and slightly feared, and for one where it was relaxed and friendly.

No prizes for guessing which one led to me being more productive and challenging myself more.

fernandopartridge

Because it really worked with RSM Adams and Major Boothroyd didn't it???

More so than the Thorn and Shaw approach yes. Adams' got it right for a while, brought in a player to be the boss on the pitch in Wise.

Can't remember Boothroyd's team surrendering many leads either.

Nonleagueherewecome

I was once Acting Manager of a store (over the 3 busiest months of the year at Xmas, great) and didn't get the job permanently as they thought I was too close to the team. Around 8 months later, the "proven" manager they hired in my stead was fired. The team were so pissed off that I hadn't got the job that they just wouldn't work for him (I may have encouraged that ;) ).

My slightly Machiavellian verdict is-it's a massive boon to be popular as a boss, but only if it's for the right reason's, not because you "give people an easy time". If you are genuine, care about people and prepared to roll your sleeves up and lead from the front, you can be popular-and a hell of a lot more productive than a tyrant of a leader, because of that popularity.

Heh heh, it was fun running a music store, though. Staff were all likeable from my perspective simply because they loved their music and were prepared to be paid crap to work with it. And using the word Popular so much reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNc45FTenhg&feature=related

Last edited:

Sick Boy

More so than the Thorn and Shaw approach yes. Adams' got it right for a while, brought in a player to be the boss on the pitch in Wise.

Can't remember Boothroyd's team surrendering many leads either.

It certainly did work a lot better, and I sure that both will have longer and more successful careers in management than Thorn. The players probably didn't like AB's disciplinarian approach...which has led us to the type of player we have now and the position we find ourselves in.

SkyBlueM

A really good manager knows which players respond to a good 'hairdryer' and which ones respond better to an arm round the shoulders and told they are the best thing since sliced bread. Someone like a Megson only knows the former so usually gets an immediate improvement but tails off into shite cos peeps get sick of it, and Thorn was too much of the latter - the lads bessie mate and only seemed to dish it out to the odd youngster not wanting to upset the senior pros.

Still think Boothroyd would have done better if he hadn't lost Carsley, sorry Carso, to injury which was when things went tits up and there were no more pennies to replace his steadying influence on the pitch.

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

Well it was Carsley crocked, Doyle given away and Thomas loaned out, just as Aron and Clingan were days back into training after injuries. He was well and truly shafted, but he was a dinosaur, you can't play such limited tactics at any decent level and flourish for long in this century. Even Stoke have some flair and creativity.

@richh87

MA could be a bit of a nut case at times (Coachgate, Barnsleygate) but the fact remains that he got us our highest league finish (8th, Championship) since relegation from the Premier League. He was also the only City Manager in recent times who was wanted by another club (WBA).

The only other Manager since who got us high up the table (for a while anyway) was another hard-case, AB. Weren't we 4th coming up Xmas that year?

Of course it all went to shit later for both Managers but that's City for you.

Yeah, Micky Adams was pretty decent. Rather have him here than Shaw!

SkyBlueM

Not so much when they went up but what Pulis did do was use the loan market brilliantly to bring in that bit extra to get them up.

Sick Boy

He was well and truly shafted, but he was a dinosaur, you can't play such limited tactics at any decent level and flourish for long in this century. Even Stoke have some flair and creativity.

Surely this is what he had in mind when he brought King to the club? If I remember though, results actually suffered after King was playing regularly in the first team!

I remember when Jay Bothroyd was complaining after playing us as we were a physical side...seems like a long time ago now!

lordsummerisle

Feel sorry for Carsley really, Carsley - y just doesn't work, nor does Lee - y.

No chance of ever getting a top job in football management.

cloughie

A manager first of all needs to command respect and within that a little bit of maybe fear but reverance that his word is final.

He also has to know what makes each player tick ie some need the arm around the shoulder occasionaly and some need to be persistantly put on their toes looking to perform to their best to keep their place.

Matey matey is a no goer and proven over time many times over not just in football and I speak from experience where people take advantages because 'he won't mind he's our mate' .......But the buck stops at the manager not the employee

The CableGuy

Feel sorry for Carsley really, Carsley - y just doesn't work, nor does Lee - y.

No chance of ever getting a top job in football management.

If, say 18 months from now, the players start mentioning 'Incey' or 'Robby' or urm, 'Money-y' in the media, then we should start worrying.

The new manager should come in and say "right, its 'Boss' or 'Gaffer' to you lot, because you think you're too good for this League yet you've done fuck all in it!"

Last edited:

@richh87

Surely this is what he had in mind when he brought King to the club? If I remember though, results actually suffered after King was playing regularly in the first team!

I remember when Jay Bothroyd was complaining after playing us as we were a physical side...seems like a long time ago now!

Reading that just made me feel very sad :(:whistle: We were on a roll, had a gameplan - were feared by the opposition as they knew they'd get a kicking. We were close to mounting a serious challenge had things been a bit different.

@richh87

If, say 18 months from now, the players start mentioning 'Incey' or 'Robby' or urm, 'Money-y' in the media, then we should start worrying.

The new manager should come in and say "right, its 'Boss' or 'Gaffer' to you lot, because you think you're too good for this League yet you've done fuck all in it!"

I'd love that - and then perhaps spit in Baker's face and shout f*ck your stupid Mother's birthday! :p

Nonleagueherewecome

I think it was the anniversary of his brothers death from Leukaemia, but never mind, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread