The Media Nowadays (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
What is going on? It isn't just the Telegraph but using them as an example.

Today's big news is that somebody in Coventry owns the car reg 1D. Yesterday was the news about the Butts that we already knew. More big news is that somebody left a pub a review and they replied to it.

Meanwhile, people are being arrested and charged in Coventry for Terrorism...

It is everywhere you look, the old "5 things we know about" or copy and pastes from social media.

What has made people stop digging the dirt and finding scoops and investigating? Is it the internet killing it off?

Nick

Administrator
I reckon it's down to journalist capability...

But then what has happened to the ones who chase people down?

Have a look at when you see Watchdog and they rock up in the street and put people on the spot for answers. Nowadays it will be emailing them with some questions and just pasting their answer into an article.

fernandopartridge

The Telegraph barely sell any papers, so it isn't about news or journalism. It's about getting as many people to click on or share stories via social media as possible. It's about paying somebody acting as a journalist as little as possible, they are a desk-bound journalist so the internet becomes the only source for stories.

eastwoodsdustman

But then what has happened to the ones who chase people down?

Have a look at when you see Watchdog and they rock up in the street and put people on the spot for answers. Nowadays it will be emailing them with some questions and just pasting their answer into an article.

They get sacked or put on gardening leave:)

Nick

Administrator
The Telegraph barely sell any papers, so it isn't about news or journalism. It's about getting as many people to click on or share stories via social media as possible. It's about paying somebody acting as a journalist as little as possible, they are a desk-bound journalist so the internet becomes the only source for stories.

So where does all of the actual news go? Just not reported?

Ian1779

Without wanting to go too conspiracy theory.... It's clear that the news we are told is controlled by a few major media outlets.

Then everything is dripfed down.. I particularly love how important news that may be bad for a particular political movement is released at only selected points - namely when it can be buried beneath other stories.

Otis

Without wanting to go too conspiracy theory.... It's clear that the news we are told is controlled by a few major media outlets.

Then everything is dripfed down.. I particularly love how important news that may be bad for a particular political movement is released at only selected points - namely when it can be buried beneath other stories.
You should watch the Anonymous YouTube video about Google manipulating search results. ;)

NorthernWisdom

What is going on? It isn't just the Telegraph but using them as an example.

Today's big news is that somebody in Coventry owns the car reg 1D. Yesterday was the news about the Butts that we already knew. More big news is that somebody left a pub a review and they replied to it.

Meanwhile, people are being arrested and charged in Coventry for Terrorism...

It is everywhere you look, the old "5 things we know about" or copy and pastes from social media.

What has made people stop digging the dirt and finding scoops and investigating? Is it the internet killing it off?

No cash to employ journalists.

Nick

Administrator
No cash to employ journalists.
Is that due to the internet and people getting their news online do you think?

It is almost as if people would be more interested in a pub replying to a review than a man in the area being charged with terrorism...

NorthernWisdom

Is that due to the internet and people getting their news online do you think?

It is almost as if people would be more interested in a pub replying to a review than a man in the area being charged with terrorism...

To a degree it is. Nobody buys papers, so where's the cash?

And it's all about citizen journalism nowadays.

Even the ones that are left, parly because resources are stretched as much as anything, go for the approach of throwing in FOIs rather than digging...

chiefdave

Todays big story in the CT is Brody not coming back. Its not been good for a while but they're outdoing themselves at the moment.

Nick

Administrator
Todays big story in the CT is Brody not coming back. Its not been good for a while but they're outdoing themselves at the moment.

Exactly. Nobody has said he was coming back did they? Everybody knew he had a stake.

Still, get an article out, get people angry about brody.. get people wet about text a sub.

Nick

Administrator
To a degree it is. Nobody buys papers, so where's the cash?

And it's all about citizen journalism nowadays.

Even the ones that are left, parly because resources are stretched as much as anything, go for the approach of throwing in FOIs rather than digging...

Advertising I guess, I don't know what the profit would be per 100 copies of the telegraph being sold but surely they can make it on advertising online?

NorthernWisdom

Advertising I guess, I don't know what the profit would be per 100 copies of the telegraph being sold but surely they can make it on advertising online?

You'd need a hell of a lot of advertising to pay for one journalist, let alone a team of them...

It doesn't work. Hence the fact the Independent contracts, there are rumours about the Guardian's continued existence in its current state, and other papers find themselves sharing stories more and more.

Nick

Administrator
You'd need a hell of a lot of advertising to pay for one journalist, let alone a team of them...

It doesn't work. Hence the fact the Independent contracts, there are rumours about the Guardian's continued existence in its current state, and other papers find themselves sharing stories more and more.

Yeah but how many copies would you have had to sell of a print newspaper? (not saying you are wrong, I just dont know).

If the paper is a quid, by the time it is printed and then despatched. (I guess it would be heavy on advertising in print too to make the money)

NorthernWisdom

Yeah but how many copies would you have had to sell of a print newspaper? (not saying you are wrong, I just dont know).

If the paper is a quid, by the time it is printed and then despatched. (I guess it would be heavy on advertising in print too to make the money)

Yup, and you get more cash for advertising the higher the circulation...

And back when there was less opportunity to do targeted advertising via social media and the like instead.

Nick

Administrator
Yup, and you get more cash for advertising the higher the circulation...

And back when there was less opportunity to do targeted advertising via social media and the like instead.

You would think there would be freelance journalists though? Ones who do the digging and find things out and sell that story?

After all, you see random women get paid 20 - 30k for saying how they slept with a footballer.

I guess another thing is what people are interested in, what Kim Kardashian is wearing is more important than actual important stuff.

Captain Dart

Nick

Administrator
Good example for today.

Main news - Stolen Goldfish
Underneath hidden away - Local hospital is missing all targets and underperforming, local man giving his kidney to a stranger.

Live Blog is about an ex villa player who died in Telford.

wingy

Good example for today.

Underneath hidden away - Local hospital is missing all targets and underperforming, local man giving his kidney to a stranger.

Where's the Bury thread? :-o;-)

Gazolba

Tired of hearing about the players we might sign (but know we wont), the players we just missed signing or the players we used to have but now play for someone else.
Also how many more stories about the Travellers parking somewhere else illegally?

Gazolba

Good example for today.

What I really want to read about is a local man giving his kidney to a goldfish.

Gazolba

It has been going on for years, it's simply the dumbing down of British society.
Also journalists are getting dumber. Have you noticed all the spelling and grammatical errors in the Coventry Telegraph?

Captain Dart

Also journalists are getting dumber. Have you noticed all the spelling and grammatical errors in the Coventry Telegraph?
Sloppier and sloppier.

Users who are viewing this thread