The 'Monarchy Question'? (1 Viewer)

Grendel

It will be excellent for the economy -- all those mugs and plates celebrating the birth -- the Chinese economy will receive a huge boost.

Mucca Mad Boys

About 50 countries have monarchs of some form or other (some by the same monarch admittedly) so facts do not support this statement.

Out of 210+ countries? So about 1/4 of the world's countries... So the majority do not have monarchs, their epoch is over.

wingy

They would vote to keep it because they've been told it's good since they were born and all views to the contrary are dismissed. Windsor indoctrination pervades all branches of society.

Jimmy Carr found that one out after his irreverent spot down at the Buck House Jamboree when the establishment went after him.

It took a couple of years of it to drive Gordon Brown from office ,something that Jeremy Vine still tries to dine out on for breaking the Bigot story.:jerkit::jerkit:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
damnyouharry.jpg

Tad

Today hasn't all been great for the royals. I've just found out one direction will be singing for them later tonight.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Today hasn't all been great for the royals. I've just found out one direction will be singing for them later tonight.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! I was watching the Royal Variety Performace but now I'm gonna change channels!!

coundonskyblue

So on here we have people who want a republic, and also dislike Cameron. Which do you want then, Queen Elizabeth or President Cameron?

As for the cost, its been proven that a president costs more than a monarch.

Brighton Sky Blue

So on here we have people who want a republic, and also dislike Cameron. Which do you want then, Queen Elizabeth or President Cameron?

The 'proof' depends on the nations you wish to compare. If Dave were the man elected leader (unlikely that he'd get it but still), I'd have no problem with it. Why? Because at least he'd be there by popular vote rather than surname.

Johnnythespider

I don't want either, i was thinking President Boris :whistle:

coundonskyblue

The 'proof' depends on the nations you wish to compare. If Dave were the man elected leader (unlikely that he'd get it but still), I'd have no problem with it. Why? Because at least he'd be there by popular vote rather than surname.

Well Cameron, Brown, Blair, Thatcher all saw themselves as these great world leaders, swanning around the world, using Britains declining power to feed their own egos. Do you really think any of those politicians are going to be a small time president? They would want to be treated like Barrack Obarma (who certainly costs a lot more than the Queen).

Now I'm not an out & out monarchist, but I think we need to look at practicality rather than principle.

Do I think its right that I, or any of us can never be the head of state of the UK? No, in a democracy anyone should be able to become head of state.

If I was setting up a new country of course there would be no monarchy. But our monarchy brings in millions in revenue through tourism, the Queen and Duke are easily the hardest working members of the establishment, and it gives our country and identitiy.

In principle a country should be a republic. In practice however a monarchy in Britain works very well.

Brighton Sky Blue

Well Cameron, Brown, Blair, Thatcher all saw themselves as these great world leaders, swanning around the world, using Britains declining power to feed their own egos. Do you really think any of those politicians are going to be a small time president? They would want to be treated like Barrack Obarma (who certainly costs a lot more than the Queen).

Now I'm not an out & out monarchist, but I think we need to look at practicality rather than principle.

Do I think its right that I, or any of us can never be the head of state of the UK? No, in a democracy anyone should be able to become head of state.

If I was setting up a new country of course there would be no monarchy. But our monarchy brings in millions in revenue through tourism, the Queen and Duke are easily the hardest working members of the establishment, and it gives our country and identitiy.

In principle a country should be a republic. In practice however a monarchy in Britain works very well.

I disagree with you so strongly I'm not meriting this a response.

coundonskyblue

Apart from that one ;)

It's President Milliband that scares me

50p a year to keep nasel Ed away from head of state seems like good value for money to me!

I wonder how many of those who moan about the undemocraticness (is that a word?) of the monarchy bother to vote in local & national elections?

Brighton Sky Blue

50p a year to keep nasel Ed away from head of state seems like good value for money to me!

I wonder how many of those who moan about the undemocraticness (is that a word?) of the monarchy bother to vote in local & national elections?

Probably no different to the general voter apathy which is already prevalent.

Grendel

Out of 210+ countries? So about 1/4 of the world's countries... So the majority do not have monarchs, their epoch is over.

No many countries have military led dictatorships.

Mucca Mad Boys

I don't low why people are saying 'President 'X'' sounds bad? At the end of the day whether David Cameron is PM or President, he still exercises power... President is just a title.

wingy

The World is carved up by Multi-nationals and the G20 ,thats the reason no-one votes,It makes minimal difference to the outcome .

IF Eds not your type ,how about Evette Cooper,She'd trounce DC in a general election.

WillieStanley

Id go with President Elizabeth if she were elected. I wouldn't be happy about it, in the same way I'm not happy with DC4PM but the fact that the people voted for him gives him a right to his tenure. We also know that we have other options with different political ideals we can chose from next time.

coundonskyblue

See im a great believer in you only change something if its going to make it better. How will getting rid of the queen & replacing her with a politician make my life better?

WillieStanley

Because the voice which decides who the head of state is will include yours! That's got to be better, right?

Disorganised1

Yeah - like we have so much ability to effect things now - who voted for a coalition ?

We give up our freedom for the right to mark a cross on a piece of paper once every 5 years. In reality government is decided by the few constituencies that actually can change. I've had Robinson for years as my MP ~ can anyone explain how that is a choice.

Brighton Sky Blue

See im a great believer in you only change something if its going to make it better. How will getting rid of the queen & replacing her with a politician make my life better?

Economically speaking a lot more money would be going the public's way in a large part due to the duchies and Crown Estates being handed back to the state. Furthermore with places like the Palace being free to visit all year round, tourism would likely benefit and bring more money in to the UK. Why are you so in favour of having a hereditary leader? The idea that a Windsor is 'better' than 60 million people just because they are Windsors should have everyone's blood boiling-on the contrary, few here have a problem with it.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah - like we have so much ability to effect things now - who voted for a coalition ?

We give up our freedom for the right to mark a cross on a piece of paper once every 5 years. In reality government is decided by the few constituencies that actually can change. I've had Robinson for years as my MP ~ can anyone explain how that is a choice.

Because GR has been elected by his constituents.

Disorganised1

Yes very good - however I meant that there have been many questions over Mr Robinson's activities down the years, yet he has still been elected - I am saying that in most seats the winner is known in advance, thus Tony Blair's son being lined up for a Coventry seat.

The conservative party wins more votes than Labour, but comes second, the Liberal Democrats would have more seats if PR was introduced, my point is that for the majority of us, we do not have any influence on who is elected ~ so where is trhe democracy ?

jimmyhillsfanclub

Voting is pointless.....

Mainly due the fact that even if you do effect a change of MP.....its just swapping one ex-public school boy with a silver spoon in his mouth for another....they just wear different colour ties....

....Ideology died in the 1980's.....

Now, we have a "choice" of 3 parties of bland over-privileged political class yes-men who have never had a proper job or lived in the real world since the day they were born (into the lap of luxury).

Tories, Labour, Lib Dems.....Same set of lying rich bastards with different colour ties.:jerkit:

Macca

Economically speaking a lot more money would be going the public's way in a large part due to the duchies and Crown Estates being handed back to the state. Furthermore with places like the Palace being free to visit all year round, tourism would likely benefit and bring more money in to the UK. Why are you so in favour of having a hereditary leader? The idea that a Windsor is 'better' than 60 million people just because they are Windsors should have everyone's blood boiling-on the contrary, few here have a problem with it.

You can t really make people's blood boil though can you? Like you can t force your opinion on others. There are lots of things that make my blood boil that you would probably not have a problem with. Everyone is different, for now at least

Users who are viewing this thread