The most skilful Sport ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

An interesting question cropped up in the pub recently between a few drinkers and it's still going on with new sports being added all the time. The question was: Which sport is the most skilful ? My top three are:
1. GOLF. 2.SNOOKER.3.DARTS. But someone said snooker and darts aren't sports,which is another debate altogether. But they are classed as sports so that was my three. Another three mentioned were: Boxing,Archery,and Formula One. Any more suggestions ?

CCFC88

Darts and snooker are more of a sport than f1 in my opinion. I think you need to think about the gulf in ability between the pros and mere mortals.

I've played an average amount of darts in my time but have never managed to hit 2 treble 20s in consecutive darts whereas the pros have the ability to hit 9 perfect darts in a row to win a leg. The same with century breaks etc in snooker.

SlowerThanPlatt

Tennis. So much of that game is very subtle movements. Everything from your eyes down to your feet have to be in the right spot to make the right shot.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I once had 180 in darts. I've played the game for 40 odd years and only did it once! It was just a game with a mate in a pub but neither of us could believe it! Highest break in snooker was 37. Crap, I know, but I was dead chuffed at the time seeing as my usual break was a red - colour and sometimes another red!

bringbackrattles

A bloke in the pub reckons Bowls is a skilled game.Another chipped in with Badminton.
Which left me thinking they play those games !

A bloke in the pub reckons Bowls is a skilled game.Another chipped in with Badminton.
Which left me thinking they play those games !

I used to play crown green Bowls and I now play Golf. Golf is 100 times harder than Crown Green to be honest. All the skills that you need in Bowls you need for one very small part of Golf.

CCFC88

I think tennis has become less skillful over the past 20 years, so much of it now relys on the physical attributes of of the competitors and the enhancements in technology around the equipmenthas taken some of the "skillful" nature out of the sport. Im a huge tennis fan but if you asked me who was more skillful at their profession Nadal or O'Sullivan itd be ROS all day for me.

bringbackrattles

Chess would get my vote
Chess was mentioned but like my snooker and darts one or two said they were hobbies not sport. There's always somebody wanting to argue about it.I said boxing is skilful but some know all said anybody can punch,obviously he's never watched a fight !

Covstu

I think every sport has a high skill factor at their peak, i love my cycling and to see the speed that those guys go continously is breathtaking and how much these 'fine margins' make a difference but overall so mentally draining. I played golf for years and it is such as complex individual sport where one small chance in your stance or setup can make or ruin your game. Every day is different at golf too.

I never really played snooker or darts but again the same factors apply, i also believe that sport can still be a classed as a sport even if it doesnt have the physical element to it. It takes years of devotion to become that good.

bringbackrattles

I think every sport has a high skill factor at their peak, i love my cycling and to see the speed that those guys go continously is breathtaking and how much these 'fine margins' make a difference but overall so mentally draining. I played golf for years and it is such as complex individual sport where one small chance in your stance or setup can make or ruin your game. Every day is different at golf too.

I never really played snooker or darts but again the same factors apply, i also believe that sport can still be a classed as a sport even if it doesnt have the physical element to it. It takes years of devotion to become that good.
Good points made as to be adept at anything it takes practice and dedication.The debate on when is a hobby a sport or not will keep going on,but my mate says if you put in the likes of snooker and darts you have to include Chess and even Poker.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I like the synchronised drowning in the Olympics :D

The Gentleman

An interesting question cropped up in the pub recently between a few drinkers and it's still going on with new sports being added all the time. The question was: Which sport is the most skilful ? My top three are:
1. GOLF. 2.SNOOKER.3.DARTS. But someone said snooker and darts aren't sports,which is another debate altogether. But they are classed as sports so that was my three. Another three mentioned were: Boxing,Archery,and Formula One. Any more suggestions ?

Agree with Golf, played for years and although I play off 10, just seeing how much better the pros are makes you realise what skill it takes. Equipment has helped (same can be said for most sports) but every single part of your body has to be doing the right thing for the ball to go the right way and the touch/feel you need for putting is different on every course and then sometimes on your course due to weather etc. However, looking at other sports I tend to see how dominant players are and how much better they are than the rest when 'on song'. Take Ronnie O' Sullivan, he can beat most players in the world playing left handed. I have never seen anything done like that in tennis or darts or other sports that require something in your hands.

Users who are viewing this thread