the Office (1 Viewer)

oucho

It was the one where they have the work experience girl, all making puns. Then he suddenly said get out to a bloke. Nearly wet myself

Yes, this was probably the best bit of the whole series:
David: Finally, this young lady is Donna daughter of my best friends, Ron and Elaine. She's lodging with me, so she's my responsibility, and her dad's not only a copper, but he's a bloody big bugger, so hands off.
Man 1: I've got something she could take down in evidence! (Donna, David and everyone take this in good humour)
David (to Donna): Don't worry about this.
Keith: Do you want to receive some swollen goods? (everyone except David laughs)
Man 2: Wouldn't mind escaping up her tunnel!
David: Get out.(pause) Get out.(awkward silence) I mean it. (Man 2 slowly creeps from room, Donna looks mortified). Shame. I will not have her tunnel bandied around this office willy nilly. (Donna looks like she is about to die of embarrassment).

CCFC88

*Awaits abuse*

Anybody seent the American offering of the Office, I loved it, the casting of Jim and Pam as Tim and Dawn was perfect and I think Carrell clearly respected the original when potrying Michael Scott as Brent.

It has Gervais/Merchants fingerprints all over it, once I started I was absolutely hooked. Goes on for about 9 seasons if I remember and does stray towards the end when Carrell leaves but it is excellently made and so un-American which is nice. So many US remakes make you cringe (Inbetweeners, Shameless the two that spring to mind) but I loved this!

ccfcway

funny isn't it, Office, Extras and Gervais stand up are all brilliant. I simply can not stand derek

oucho

Wasn't a fan of Extras. Gervais himself was good but everyone else involved just over-acted or behaved weirdly - not a fan. The minute he got famous, Gervais went around the world gurning, as seen in Derek, which is massively offputting.

That said, I'll go and see the new movie ... as long as its better than Alan Partridge, the Movie.

chiefdave

Anybody seent the American offering of the Office, I loved it, the casting of Jim and Pam as Tim and Dawn was perfect and I think Carrell clearly respected the original when potrying Michael Scott as Brent.

Didn't like it when it first started. Think it was sticking too closely to the UK version. Got into it later though. Have just finished rewatching the whole lot. The pre-titles pranks between Jim and Dwight are genius.

[video=youtube_share;dNZ_vHqFkdA]https://youtu.be/dNZ_vHqFkdA[/video]

CCFC88

Gervais has released the trailer for the Brent movie today on his facebook, not sure if anyone can link it up here.

Looks to be onto a winner here, .......juice

Otis

Gervais has released the trailer for the Brent movie today on his facebook, not sure if anyone can link it up here.

Looks to be onto a winner here, .......juice
I hope so, because it looked a very ill advised move to me. Leave things as they are was my philosophy and don't mess with and taint something so good.

The bar is set high. One worry with a good trailer is that sometimes that are just clips of the funniest bits in the movie.

CCFC88

I hope so, because it looked a very ill advised move to me. Leave things as they are was my philosophy and don't mess with and taint something so good.

The bar is set high. One worry with a good trailer is that sometimes that are just clips of the funniest bits in the movie.

Agree, the trailer is only one scene but he seems to have slipped straight back into the character seemlessly. I dont think anyone will expect it to be as good as the series, that is gold that shouldnt really be touched, just ask Coogan, however the clip he has posted almost had me in tears, his timing and the acting of the cast around him are gold.

Go give it a watch.

vow

David Brent Trailer :)

[video=youtube_share;6MjTh5tFiZM]http://youtu.be/6MjTh5tFiZM[/video]

Otis

Well it made me laugh ....constantly!! :)

Looks great. Glad he hasn't tried to go back to the same team of characters, most of which who would have almost certainly have moved on.

Really looking forwards to it based on that.

Joy Division

Sorry but that looks terrible. I find it odd that Gervais doesn't understand what was funny about The Office, it was the situations and the people surrounding him. Just 'being' David Brent has worn off a little now.

Otis

Sorry but that looks terrible. I find it odd that Gervais doesn't understand what was funny about The Office, it was the situations and the people surrounding him. Just 'being' David Brent has worn off a little now.
Well I had those same reservations, but to me that looks very promising. We have to take into consideration too that it will
be a 90 minute film, so there will be at least one or two subplots involved.

Thought that trailer was very funny. Just hope that is not every single funny bit right there in that one scene. :)

And in defence of Gervais, I would say he very much does understand what was funny about the Office. His creations are usually so very well observed and I am very sure he was perfectly aware of this in making this movie.

Time will tell I will guess.

CCFC88

The "trailer" makes me think he does know what made the office funny. Its just brent being brent in a brent situation. Its slow, quiet and the timing is impeccable, ecerything that made the office great.

My favourite moments of the office were the long, awkward builds to an eventual "gag" (dwarfs, Emu costume etc) which you cant portray in a 60 second trailer.

I think some people will go into it with a negative attitude of it wont be as good as the series, they wont like it.

Joy Division

I'm a big fan of The Office, but Gervais was right to end it when he did. If the original series were just focussed on David Brent then it would never have worked, take it too far then he just becomes a parody of himself.

The brilliant thing about the office was that once upon a time, he knew what working in an office was like. Now he's so far removed from that what does he have to work with?

I've also read that Steve Merchant isn't involved which is a worry. I hope its good but judging by this trailer I'm not so sure.

Otis

I'm a big fan of The Office, but Gervais was right to end it when he did. If the original series were just focussed on David Brent then it would never have worked, take it too far then he just becomes a parody of himself.

The brilliant thing about the office was that once upon a time, he knew what working in an office was like. Now he's so far removed from that what does he have to work with?

I've also read that Steve Merchant isn't involved which is a worry. I hope its good but judging by this trailer I'm not so sure.

Well I am very much hoping that there are very rich characters to be found in these new office enviromnments Brent visits as a rep.

I was rather saddened when I heard there was to be a film as I wanted it to remain the gem it was, in its very own little time bubble.

I was dreading looking at the trailer, but that did have me laughing out very loudly, so I am now a bit more hopeful.

CCFC88

I think people have to remember its a David Brent film not "The Office film".

If Brent wasnt your favourite part of the office then you probably wont like it.

FOr me Brent made the office, everyone was brilliant in it but he made it. Adversely for me the rest of the cast made Alan Partridge, the Geordie, his PA, his girlfreind in S2, hotel staff in S1.

I think Brent can carry a film on his own which I think Partridge struggled to do. Each to their own though.

Otis

Interesting to note that apparently Ricky Gervias owns David Brent as a creation, but the Office is 50/50 with Stephen Merchant.

Does make you wonder whether Gervais went in another direction with this film for the very reason of Merchant not being involved and him not being allowed to use the original characters.

chiefdave

Does make you wonder whether Gervais went in another direction with this film for the very reason of Merchant not being involved and him not being allowed to use the original characters.

Don't think they've fallen out or anything. Saw an interview with Merchant where he said he was based in LA and looking to do more plays and acting as that's what his background and training was. Said they were still friends and could possibly work together in the future. Likened it to Fry and Laurie.

Sky_Blue_Daz

The juice line from the trailer nearly killed me Easy pleased I suppose

Users who are viewing this thread