The official NFL Thread (13 Viewers)

tisza

Daniels could be a great signing though

Just watching the end of the draft programme. 49ers go for a WR, might mean Aiyuk is available for a trade and they mentioned both Patriots and Washington as they might have a need and would also give 49ers a high 2nd round pick
I'm curious about Daniels. Throwing to 2 1st round picks at LSU in an aggressive offense. Got a high ceiling but Commanders are going to have to protect him and give a chance to ease his way in.

tisza

I’ve mentioned before I listen to Chris Simms a fair bit. He’s an ex QB and studies them all before the draft. Last year he picked Stroud as being in a league of his own ahead of Young before the draft, which went against the grain but proved right

He reckoned Caleb was stand out first pick but Daniels not far behind and in a league of his own ahead of the others. We’ll see I guess.
Simms took a dive for me when he had Zac Wilson ahead of Trevor Lawrence. Doesn't he also have Nix & Pennix ahead of Maye & JJ this year?

David O'Day

Have they added pieces to O line in the offseason? Last year it wasn't good. Rookie QB you need a good left Tackle at least.
Is there a tackle that is worth taking this high? The experts have them taking a WR.

They will have to look at bringing another tackle in and there are a few ijury returns on the o-line

David O'Day

Simms took a dive for me when he had Zac Wilson ahead of Trevor Lawrence. Doesn't he also have Nix & Pennix ahead of Maye & JJ this year?
It's also unfair to say Stroud is better than Young yet, Young had less than nothing to work with.

CCFCSteve

Yeah, think he did, having said that Wilson was highly regarded across the board that year. He also picked Mahomes when many didn’t though (just googled and will attach).
Hit and miss but interesting assessments

He said that Mayes got a lot to learn still and maybe some mechanical issues that he believes as an ex QB are tricky to rectify. He did say if he can he’d have a very high ceiling

93B65102-E7EE-4F64-AF34-F8BDA19A3C5B.jpeg 4B3A6505-87C6-47F2-B07C-083D7EC9042F.jpeg

Liquid Gold

I’ve mentioned before I listen to Chris Simms a fair bit. He’s an ex QB and studies them all before the draft. Last year he picked Stroud as being in a league of his own ahead of Young before the draft, which went against the grain but proved right

He reckoned Caleb was stand out first pick but Daniels not far behind and in a league of his own ahead of the others. We’ll see I guess.
I always preferred Stroud.

I think he just suffered from being an OSU QB so too many drafted the helmet.

TBF Bama did have a great run of starting calibre NFL QBs and it's too early to tell on Young. Carolina is such a poor landing spot and Tepper a terrible owner so I don't see things getting better quickly there.

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

I hated Wilson coming in.

Only 30 games at college. BYU a bit of a bubble then going to New York would test anybody. Big 12 not the most competitive conference. His stats prior to that final year were not great either, 9 games 11 TD 9 INT.

I think they saw how Burrow had come from (almost) nowhere to be the obvious pick the year before and tried to be too clever. Burrow clearly a far superior player even then.

Last edited:

CCFCSteve

Only 30 games at college. BYU a bit of a bubble then going to New York would test anybody. Big 12 not the most competitive conference. His stats prior to that final year were not great either, 9 games 11 TD 9 INT.

I think they saw how Burrow had come from (almost) nowhere to be the obvious pick the year before and tried to be too clever. Burrow clearly a fair superior player even then.

Burrow is the man. Best pocket QB in the game

Wilson’s got a great arm and is a great scrambler. Felt sorry for him at the Jets, especially last season when he was playing in a Rogers offence with very little protection as season went on. Be interested to see if Payton to turn his career around but damage might be done

tisza

I always preferred Stroud.

I think he just suffered from being an OSU QB so too many drafted the helmet.

TBF Bama did have a great run of starting calibre NFL QBs and it's too early to tell on Young. Carolina is such a poor landing spot and Tepper a terrible owner so I don't see things getting better quickly there.
Yep I preferred Stroud. More rounded. For me Young was a case of he's a "winning QB in the SEC" so he must be good. Also fell away from 2022 when he had Williams & Metchie as his WRs to not having much WR help in 2023. I'm still not a huge fan of smaller QBs as a rule.

Last edited:

tisza

I think they saw how Burrow had come from (almost) nowhere to be the obvious pick the year before and tried to be too clever. Burrow clearly a far superior player even then.
Think we both banged this gong on here at the time. BYU had a rubbish schedule (due to COVID) & a strong O line. Played one decent defense and they mullered him (coastal carolina)

tisza

Surprised by the lack of major trade activity. Sounds like there were attempts but ignored

Vikings getting McCarthy at 10 might end up being a great pick/fit. Falcons picking Penix after signing cousins is v strange. He’s apparently very good but picking him so high after big deal with Cousins 🤷‍♂️. Made it squitty for Vikings

Edit - could’ve understood Maye sitting behind cousins more, two years younger than penix and apparently a bit more raw. Just catching up. Turner for Vikings also looks a very good pick at where they got him
Makes less sense now if you look at their cap situation for next year. Going to be losing key players as can't afford them. Edge or Bowers would have made way more sense. Then their GM comes out today they intend to sit him behind Kirk for up to 4 years - basically negates massive value of QB rookie contract

tisza

Is there a tackle that is worth taking this high? The experts have them taking a WR.

They will have to look at bringing another tackle in and there are a few ijury returns on the o-line
There are some decent ones but the elite/good ones have gone - big drop off from the top 3/4.
Interesting to see Patriots were prepared to trade with Vikings if they could have got a deal back up to 4 or 5 to get McCarthy. Didn't trust McCarthy getting past the the Giants at 6 as they had inquired about the 3rd pick.

Tea & Busquets

Any Packers fans? Was a bit distraught after we drafted Jordan Morgan but I think it was the right call. Had the Cooper DeJean seed planted in my head from the start but the lack of great tackles on the board (barring Jordan) and our need makes it the right pick. We will probably end up trading up in the early second for DeJean.

tisza

So the wildcard was the run on QBs and office players overall.

A bit disappointed Washington couldn't nip back in to draft one of the starting caliber tackles (or a couple didn't fall out of the first)
You got a player I was hoping we might have taken at 23 if we'd stayed there. Newton could be an elite 3 Tec but with Allen & Payne already there it's a slight strange one.

Liquid Gold

You got a player I was hoping we might have taken at 23 if we'd stayed there. Newton could be an elite 3 Tec but with Allen & Payne already there it's a slight strange one.
It is strange but Allen and Payne are on big money so it it gives you the opportunity to reset your cap after this year.

Also I like taking a player with a first round grade in the second. The best teams draft with the next 4 years in mind.

Overall very please with Washington’s draft.

Last edited:

tisza

It is strange but Allen and Payne are on big money so it it gives you the opportunity to reset your cap after this year.

Also I like taking a player with a first round grade in the second. The best teams draft with the next 4 years in mind.

Overall very please with Washington’s draft.
Suppose that's what they did with Sweat & Young.
Vikings getting criticised a bit for supposedly over paying with their trades. Don't get it myself. Got rid of 2 huge contracts with Cousins & Hunter and replaced them with rookie 1st round contracts. Traded future mid round picks (which aren't as valuable as current picks) toget what many experts had as a top 10 player. Plus Vikings now have a mountain of cap space to relaunch next year. They could still probably finish with a winning record this season.

tisza

Love looking at draft grades and the variance of opinions. I'm okay with our draft. Vikings actually managed to draft a player from a college I've never heard of .

CCFCSteve

Love looking at draft grades and the variance of opinions. I'm okay with our draft. Vikings actually managed to draft a player from a college I've never heard of .

Yeah, I don’t follow the college game as closely as you and a couple of others so rely on grades and other commentators on drafts but looking at the comments pleased with what Saints have done. Looks like we got good value but as we all know most drafts are gambles

Rattlers an interesting one. Saw the QB1 programme a few years ago which didn’t reflect too well on him and by all accounts some teams still hold against him but he was a kid at the time. Worth a punt. Sounds like Boyd was being looked at by a lot of teams and could’ve been taken a fair bit earlier and who can complain about signing a guy called Kool Aid 🤷‍♂️. Still find Carr such a strange signing last year when already in cap hell but got a sneaky feeling he might be better this year…hope so anyway. Best we can hope for is sneaking the South and then out though

tisza

The best quarterbacks are the ones that want to win and leave money in the pot for other good players
Can't ever accuse Kirk of that. Turned down several restructures to create cap space and that led to some big players having to be let go / traded.
Contrast this to a proper Vikings legend and proper pro-Bowler- Harrison Smith. He's taken numerous restructures & pay cuts to stay on the Vikings and help with the cap

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread