The Old time supporters (1 Viewer)

skybluealan

Once again I will bring this subject up again, to all you young supporters, (which is great) Us older generation supporters love Coventry even more than we did when we were younger. We all move on, we move and move away from Coventry, 400 round trip for me , what I do not like is been called a PLASTIC supporter. I live In The North East, friends on twitter live in Devon, we all support Coventry, Please DO NOT CALL US OLD TIMERS PLASTIC SUPPORTERS.

Steve.B50

Grady
It's simple then, stop supporting us and follow the scum instead.
Us older supporters are City till we die, it will just be sooner than you.

D

Deleted member 4232

Seems a bit petty you care so much about what people think of your support for the team. I couldn't care less of I got called a hardcore supporter or fairweather. Why does it matter so much?

Steve.B50

I care.
My team may well be a poor but it's my team and I am proud of being a Coventry City fan and being a Cov kid (older fan)

D

Deleted member 4232

I care.
My team may well be a poor but it's my team and I am proud of being a Coventry City fan and being a Cov kid (older fan)
I get that, but why would you care what anyone else thinks of your level of support?

GaryJones

Yeah but a lot are. It wasn't as tough to watch when you were younger we are shite now

Err - weve pretty much always disappointed (this is not new to the teams of the last few years!). We are one of the very few relegated clubs that have NEVER ever got anywhere near a play-off spot or come close to winning a trophy (JPT Area Final being the exception). But we still support the Club and will continue too til the day we die!
Ive got news for you - You will do exactly the same no matter how poor we are! Its in-built (like a drug you cant get off!) Sorry - but its a life sentance! :(

skybluealan

Yeah but a lot are. It wasn't as tough to watch when you were younger we are shite now
We have been rubbish for years, I do not want to speak for all of us so called old timers who were there during the Jimmy Hill days But for me MR, I have never felt so good

D

Deleted member 4232

This thread is bordering on becoming a pointless "I love city this much more than you" thread. For 'old boys' you're awfully caught up in a silly pissing contest.

skybluealan

Seems a bit petty you care so much about what people think of your support for the team. I couldn't care less of I got called a hardcore supporter or fairweather. Why does it matter so much?

I understand what you are saying, but I am fed up, and thought I should say something about what true younger fans which we need are saying about fans who cannot get to the games because we live so far away. We are not Plastic fans, we just cannot afford season tickets because we live so far away.

ggrady

I've watched 2 relegations I'm only 16, I'd rather watch is struggle in the top flight than league 1. And what you on about go support the scum? I have a season ticket at cov but we are shite it's a fac doesn't stop me supporting us. No cov fan is a glory but you can't say it's not worse for us

D

Deleted member 4232

Still don't quite understand how it could become such a concern.

ggrady

I don't care it's just like this thread is another pop at people who go still. Our average attendance a few years ago was 18k now it's 11k that's down to lower standard of football not everybody moving away. Your a cov fan as much as anyone else no need to prove it

Flying Fokker

I've watched 2 relegations I'm only 16, I'd rather watch is struggle in the top flight than league 1. And what you on about go support the scum? I have a season ticket at cov but we are shite it's a fac doesn't stop me supporting us. No cov fan is a glory but you can't say it's not worse for us
think

A privilege you should be grateful for. We had some great times in the top flight. At least 10 relagation battles and a top half finish you can count on one hand. At least you are seeing a revival. I never had that really. Take the League Cup semi in 81 and a couple of good cup runs after that. But league wise we have been crap for the best part of 40 years.

Otis

The problem isn't with those who live away or can't afford it or work or whatever.

The problem as I see it lies with those who simply stop going because we are losing and will only support a winning team.

Bottom line is if people supported the team through thick and thin we'd have a much better chance of attracting the players to make us become a winning team.

skybluealan

think

A privilege you should be grateful for. We had some great times in the top flight. At least 10 relagation battles and a top half finish you can count on one hand. At least you are seeing a revival. I never had that really. Take the League Cup semi in 81 and a couple of good cup runs after that. But league wise we have been crap for the best part of 40 years.
Well said, That is what I was trying to put across. Over the past 40 plus years, ( except for 1987) I feel as a older fan, MR is the best thing that has happened to Coventry

ccfc92

I really don't get the old timers v young fans. Old timers, hats off, full respect for following ccfc for so long. New/young fans, well done for not being a plastic man u or Chelsea fan, and following your home city. All in all, we all support Coventry, and no one is a better fan just because of years served. I'm 20, always supported cov, and always will. Am I not as good a fan as a 25 year old? Surely the most important thing is that the youth carry on supporting cov

D

Deleted member 4232

Old timers feel although they deserve a birth right of being 'the best supporters' merely because they were born first...

Young supporters believe they deserve the title because they've more expendable cash because they may still live at home and may not have a family to support or haven't moved for work.

Both parties need to grow up if they care so much about their 'fan status'

coundonskyblue

I can't understand why some people are surprised that the crowds go down when were doing badly. Its called football, you must have worked out by now that it happens at every club.

Flying Fokker

I really don't get the old timers v young fans. Old timers, hats off, full respect for following ccfc for so long. New/young fans, well done for not being a plastic man u or Chelsea fan, and following your home city. All in all, we all support Coventry, and no one is a better fan just because of years served. I'm 20, always supported cov, and always will. Am I not as good a fan as a 25 year old? Surely the most important thing is that the youth carry on supporting cov

Dude, in 1967 my auntie gave me a Liverpool shirt, It went in the bin. It doesn't matter what generation you are, there has always been the lure of 'bigger' teams, glory hunting etc. I think it is ok to support other teams if you migrate from the home catchment area. You should be proud of your home town. Strictly speaking I should support Derby because that is where I was born. I never look for their results though. Sky Blues for me. I think it is the locals who support Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea are weak willed and deserve all the stick they get. They should hold their head in shame.

skybluealan

You are 100% right, and it is great to here you say that, all I was trying to say is that on twitter and this forum in the past few months, the younger fans, which we need are calling us older fans that cannot get to the Rioch we are plastic fans. A[though I can not get to most of the home games, I will get to most of the away games in my area like all Coventry fans will in there areas

ggrady

Let's be honest everyone goes for enjoyment not to show there loyalty. I still enjoy it but if I didn't I wouldn't waste my Saturday's to prove what a great fan I am to people

ohitsaidwalker king power

Totally agree mate- We are all sky blue... me a 35 year ST holder, my son a 5 year ST holder, the bloke next to me on Tuesday who I had not seen before but hope to meet again......
"If you wear sky blue for me you'll do.." how long you have worn it doesn't matter...

PUSB:claping hands:

ccfc92

Old timers feel although they deserve a birth right of being 'the best supporters' merely because they were born first...

Young supporters believe they deserve the title because they've more expendable cash because they may still live at home and may not have a family to support or haven't moved for work.

Both parties need to grow up if they care so much about their 'fan status'

Well I'm a young supporter, and do the 320 mile round trip as often as I can afford to get to the Ricoh. I work 6 days a week, before you assume I'm another waster on the dole saying oh there's no jobs, and having 5 kids.

ccfc92

Totally agree mate- We are all sky blue... me a 35 year ST holder, my son a 5 year ST holder, the bloke next to me on Tuesday who I had not seen before but hope to meet again......
"If you wear sky blue for me you'll do.." how long you have worn it doesn't matter...

PUSB:claping hands:

Great post :D

Out of interest, how did your name come about :L?

RichieGunns

I work 6 days a week, before you assume I'm another waster on the dole saying oh there's no jobs, and having 5 kids.

Not everyone on the dole is a waster as you say ;)

I'm on the dole but that is only because as an Actor, my contracts aren't long term.

I finish a job, I go on the dole, I apply for as much work as I can and then hopefully I get off the dole, get myself a new job and go do what I love.

But the whole process starts over again once that job finishes.

But one thing I am not is a waster. I hate the dole, its just a neccesery evil!

ccfc92

Not everyone on the dole is a waster as you say ;)

I'm on the dole but that is only because as an Actor, my contracts aren't long term.

I finish a job, I go on the dole, I apply for as much work as I can and then hopefully I get off the dole, get myself a new job and go do what I love.

But the whole process starts over again once that job finishes.

But one thing I am not is a waster. I hate the dole, its just a neccesery evil!

I meant I'm not a typical young person who leaves school, then never works but expects the tax payer to pay for me. The dole should be for genuine people looking for work, like yourself. I just said that as most people on here assume every teenager/ 20ish person does not work or pay their way.

MichaelCCFC

With our record over the last 10/15 years anyone who supports CCFC deserves a medal not insults (over the last 40 years I've had a season ticket on and off, when I lived away from Cov I sometimes only got to HR a couple of times a year, season before last it was that grim I only went half a dozen times but this season I've been to almost all home games and more away games than I've ever done before. I used to be young, but now I'm older and in a few years I'll be a real old codger. I don't know if that means I'm plastic, harcore or just someone who has always supported City and always will but depending on time/money/kids/life goes to more games some seasons than others).

ohitsaidwalker king power

Great post :D

Out of interest, how did your name come about :L?

Was a jibe between me and a foxes fan.. their stadium used to be called the Walkers..... I suggested to him it ought to read The Wa*kers and so "Oh it said.." came about... the King Power was just to annoy him .... not very clever in hindsight really as now I'm stuck with it.. a constant reference to the tribe down the M69:facepalm:-- was a moment of madness I regret and he finds very funny... would the mods let me change it do you think?

deanocity3

i have to be honest here and say i never went to any cov match from 2002-2006,i just lost interest and couldn't be asked, i had to admit it.what brought me back was sorting out my loft and looking through
my cov stuff.it brought a tear to my eye and have been going to most home matches since.

WillieStanley

I meant I'm not a typical young person who leaves school, then never works but expects the tax payer to pay for me. The dole should be for genuine people looking for work, like yourself. I just said that as most people on here assume every teenager/ 20ish person does not work or pay their way.

Most teenagers/20ish people do not work or pay their way. That isn't their fault. I'm a qualified and experienced professional with a glowing CV and great referrences, and I work. I've looked for other jobs and I can't get an interview anywhere (not because I'm unhappy in my job, but it's good to keep networking). If I was unemployed, I can only imagine that it'd be even more difficult. It must be even harder to break into the jobs market fresh out of college/school/university at the moment. The stats that are released are false as well. They are saying that the amount of people on JSA has decreased recently. That's not because these people are finding work, its because they're getting sanctioned too easily, or put on work placement programmes who ditch them as soon as the contract is finished.

The coalition has already bred a generation with skills but no work experience. Fresh out of college or school is a vital time for workers. It gives them an opportunity to learn basic lifeskills such as a good work ethic. Due to how difficult it is becoming to get a further or higher education, the next generation will have no skills or work experience, and those with the skills will have gotten used to a life where the only thing to get up for is Jeremy Kyle and will drift from job to job because they haven't learnt the value of a 40+ hour week.

(this might be a rant)

WillieStanley

i have to be honest here and say i never went to any cov match from 2002-2006,i just lost interest and couldn't be asked, i had to admit it.what brought me back was sorting out my loft and looking through
my cov stuff.it brought a tear to my eye and have been going to most home matches since.

It's good to have a break!! I did the same around the same period as you, although it was 2004-2006. I'm now more fanatical than I ever have been.

Skyblue4u

For the record we were mainly shit in the Premiership avoiding relegation many seasons by good fortune and 3 other teams being slightly worse than us. Yes we are in division 3 now and playing the likes of Bury instead of Man U but before you youngsters start crying into your beer we older fans have been there, seen it and got the T Shirt

Users who are viewing this thread