The pressing game (1 Viewer)

speedie87

Everyone in football seems to have gone mad about the pressing game over the last couple of years which I think has come in as a results of the number of teams trying to pass it out from back.

However if you ask me it's not a new thing at all, we stayed up for years in the top flight by chasing and harrying teams keeping a high line to press the game etc. I think the difference is better teams are just now doing it to lesser teams.

So what's the the next big thing going to be? Well a lot of teams are conceding as they are getting into trouble trying to play out from back. With teams pressing them, is the future the quick Early ball to a Front two and even a big man little man combination to get in behind???

RFC

If you are England it may well be but it won't make up for what other International teams are doing, particularly control and one & two touch.

Yorkshire SB

I think football moves in paradigms and is obviously a progressive sport which is continually innovating tactically. In 2005-2009, the power and pace of the Premier League and English football was dominant and players like Gerrard and Essien were considered some of the best in the world. The dominance was also reflected in European Success.
However Barcelona began to blow sides (inc English) away with their 'tiki taka', pressing football. Intelligent passers like Xavi, Alonso and to some extent Scholes became more appreciated for their extraordinary ability. To my mind Barcelona are no worse now than they were 5 years ago, but they are no longer untouchable, as teams have altered their tactics (Chelsea, Inter, Celtic, Milan) and a new, innovative style has overtaken.
Bayern have clearly set the standard for modern football. It combines the best elements of both the aforementioned styles, as possession, skill and power meet in a side that look unbeatable. I imagine they will be the best side in the world for a couple of years, before another great side which has more astute tactics redevelop the way the game is played once more.

speedie87

Exactly the game is constantly evolving. In now over 100 years of the game there are still changes taking place

Can't wait to see what happens over next 50 years if I last that long.

Bee Sky Bee

Walsall play a mix of the pressing game, and tika taka, commonly known as the best footballing side North of Catalan (or is Matalan), as you will find out tomorrow. :D

Users who are viewing this thread