The Ricoh stadium (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

Just wanted to pose a question regarding the Ricoh arena. Forget about SISU for the moment...

Assuming CCFC do not return, then how do the stadium leaseholders and owners deal with that gaping whole that is meant to provide revenue by way of rental income, with potentially 10,20,30k fans attending games and the knock on effect of those fans spending at various other outlets within the complex? From bus companies to car parks the loss in revenue and jobs is damaging.

How can they ever replace any of that without CCFC?

I'm intrigued to know what plan the operators have for this possible permanent situation arising?

James Smith

Just wanted to pose a question regarding the Ricoh arena. Forget about SISU for the moment...

Assuming CCFC do not return, then how do the stadium leaseholders and owners deal with that gaping whole that is meant to provide revenue by way of rental income, with potentially 10,20,30k fans attending games and the knock on effect of those fans spending at various other outlets within the complex? From bus companies to car parks the loss in revenue and jobs is damaging.

How can they ever replace any of that without CCFC?

I'm intrigued to know what plan the operators have for this possible permanent situation arising?

Have you tried asking then? They may say bog off or the same but in more polite terms, but you never know?

DazzleTommyDazzle

I've assumed (with no facts to back up my assumption - but then, this is an internet forum!) that ACL would wait until after the JR to see if getting that out of the way opens up the possibility of the club returning.

If the JR comes and goes and we're left in stalemate, I'd assume that some form of rebuild (no idea what) will start at the Ricoh.

After all, by then the new stadium will be well on the way to completion ;)

tuousis

They going to charge 50 pence matchday costs then? About all that lot could afford.
The Rugby club could always use the Ricoh and not pay the rent,it has been done before. They might even try to get the ground for peanuts.Why worry about the rent.

SkyBlueUkeman

I've always wondered why the place just can't be slip into two entities, with the club just buying the stadium bowl?

(Well, I know why they won't, but still.)

RegTheDonk

ACL reckon they are making a profit so I guess they will trundle along until something else crops up. Things wont need to change unless the stakeholders need to pump more money in. Perhaps like the nec it would need the council to suddenly need access to funds for so
me catastrophe. JR maybe?

skybluetony176

Good idea, they could charge 8 or 9 times the market rate ;)

If nothing else it would make grendull happy........

....... until he has to pay 8-9 times the going rate for a marillion ticket. Still, on his six figure salary what's £6.50 between friends ;-)

Astute

Good idea, they could charge 8 or 9 times the market rate ;)

How much does the market charge for a concert then? Is it a pain in the arse taking down all the market stalls?

Astute

If nothing else it would make grendull happy........

....... until he has to pay 8-9 times the going rate for a marillion ticket. Still, on his six figure salary what's £6.50 between friends ;-)

£6.50 to go and see Marillion? And we thought the Ricoh rent was too high.

Nick

Administrator
How much does the market charge for a concert then? Is it a pain in the arse taking down all the market stalls?

It depends which market, loads of different between Bedworth and Spitalfields. Leave the stalls up to stand on ;)

Astute

It depends which market, loads of different between Bedworth and Spitalfields. Leave the stalls up to stand on ;)

I like your idea. Best place to be to compare apples and oranges.

rupert_bear

Why do people think the result of the JR will make any difference whoever wins. The judge at the JR case cannot order any sale to anyone anywhere. I am certain if the Ricoh is up for grabs others will be interested not just sisu.

torchomatic

Wouldn't worry. Ann says the future is viable and you have to take her at her word. It either will survive or it won't. Hope it does.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

torchomatic

Why do people think the result of the JR will make any difference whoever wins. The judge at the JR case cannot order any sale to anyone anywhere. I am certain if the Ricoh is up for grabs others will be interested not just sisu.

What will these 'others' do with it do you think?

James Smith

Could have a... scratch that they might want to hold the odd concert there.

Last edited:

torchomatic

Could have a... scratch that they might want to hold the odd concert there.

Maybe, what concerts are on this summer?

Funny how a lot on here - just seen an example on another thread - who bemoan the owners of having no interest in the team as they only want the stadium, yet others seem to want someone else to take it over.

Personally I think the arena won't survive without a football team.

Spionkop

Simon Parker
Writing today in the Bradford Telegraph.
More of this next season, unless we get a lot more bolshy about our position.
Read it and weep RFC and all the other deluded souls.
.....The young lad twiddling his thumbs at the burger kiosk gave the game away.
“So who’s playing tonight,” he asked his equally bored-looking mate.
“Bradford, I think” came the reply.
“All right, and who are they playing against? Northampton or Coventry?”
His ignorance was understandable. Less than an hour before kick-off and it was hard to remember that there was a game on at all.
There was no queue for food; there was no queue to get in the ground. In fact, there was no anything...
Welcome to the Coventry matchday experience, Northampton style.
A joyless night played in front of vast empty stands. It had all the atmosphere and appeal of a pre-season friendly at Barrow.
The Bradford City players admitted it was a weird occasion which they were in no hurry to repeat. For the poor souls in Sky Blue, they are back again today for the visit of MK Dons.
The original franchise club will always be lambasted for what went on with the proper Wimbledon. But what is going on right now with Coventry is not much more palatable.
Thirty five miles from Northampton sits a shiny football stadium called the Ricoh Arena, capacity 32,609. It has graced the Championship and would be one of the must-see venues of League One.
At least it should be. But with the ongoing rent row involving the club’s owners – a hedge fund from London – and the local council who built and own the ground, Coventry’s football team no longer play in Coventry.
So the former lodgers trudge reluctantly down the M1 to borrow Northampton’s facilities, playing on an eerie stage where nobody – on the pitch or in the stands – really wants to be.
Good business, I’m sure, for the stadium stewards and those who work the turnstiles, doubling their money with double the home matches. And what’s more they get the same rate for very little work.
But hardly what everyone else expects when you mention the name of Coventry City; a major Midlands football name conjuring up images of Jimmy Hill, John Sillett and Keith Houchen.
Tuesday’s attendance figure of 1,673 was the lowest to watch the Bantams for two years since 1,507 witnessed a 4-0 win at Barnet.
It was only the ninth sub-2,000 crowd for City games since they were relegated to the bottom tier in 2008.
The last seven were all in League Two and Dagenham are the only hosts from that list to still play league football. Chester, Macclesfield, Hereford and Barnet have all dropped out.
It didn’t quite plumb the depths of the 1,207 at Moss Ross in April 2011 when Peter Jackson celebrated his 50th birthday with a victory he billed afterwards as “one of the top five in my career”.
But Coventry, a club long associated with the top two divisions, don’t belong on that list.
And yet the City turn-out was par for the course. The week before, Stevenage had attracted 24 more; ten days earlier, Port Vale 46 less.
Their “home” average of 2,194 is the lowest in the division by far. Only three teams – Morecambe, Dagenham and Accrington – get less in the whole league.
That’s only 400 more than the number that Coventry take on their travels. They were backed by a whopping 6,781 travelling support for the original Milton Keynes fixture.
But the majority of those refuse to visit Sixfields on principle. Others stand defiantly on the hill overlooking one corner of the ground.
There was about a dozen watching glimpses of the game on Tuesday. They can probably only see about a third of the pitch but it makes the point.
The protesters do not want to feed the pockets of owners who they claim are holding the club to ransom. So an unsatisfactory stalemate persists – with no sign of a solution any time soon.
The lowest crowd to watch City in the modern era was at Selhurst Park, where Wimbledon were passing through on the way to being whisked out of London.
Only 1,178 watched a Championship fixture in February 2003 – this week had that same sensation of rattling round a deserted stadium.
Coventry’s “us against the world” mentality which powered them through the first half of the season is wearing thin.
The loss of one of their two potent strikers hit them hard in January and the other, just named League One player of the month, was missing in midweek through injury.
But results also suggest that the team have grown weary with their alien surroundings. The sheer emptiness must grind you down.
It must be no fun at all playing away every week.

James Smith

Maybe, what concerts are on this summer?

Funny how a lot on here - just seen an example on another thread - who bemoan the owners of having no interest in the team as they only want the stadium, yet others seem to want someone else to take it over.

Personally I think the arena won't survive without a football team.

My answer of a botanical garden was slightly tounge in cheek and Idon't really care what they do with it. I don't believe we'll be back there for at least two seasons if at all.

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

Scandalous how can they say that about our ground.:whistle:
Simon Parker
His ignorance was understandable. Less than an hour before kick-off and it was hard to remember that there was a game on at all.
There was no queue for food; there was no queue to get in the ground. In fact, there was no anything...
A joyless night played in front of vast empty stands. It had all the atmosphere and appeal of a pre-season friendly at Barrow.
The Bradford City players admitted it was a weird occasion which they were in no hurry to repeat. For the poor souls in Sky Blue, they are back again today for the visit of MK Dons.
The original franchise club will always be lambasted for what went on with the proper Wimbledon. But what is going on right now with Coventry is not much more palatable.
Thirty five miles from Northampton sits a shiny football stadium called the Ricoh Arena, capacity 32,609. It has graced the Championship and would be one of the must-see venues of League One.
At least it should be. But with the ongoing rent row involving the club’s owners – a hedge fund from London – and the local council who built and own the ground, Coventry’s football team no longer play in Coventry.
So the former lodgers trudge reluctantly down the M1 to borrow Northampton’s facilities, playing on an eerie stage where nobody – on the pitch or in the stands – really wants to be.
Good business, I’m sure, for the stadium stewards and those who work the turnstiles, doubling their money with double the home matches. And what’s more they get the same rate for very little work.
But hardly what everyone else expects when you mention the name of Coventry City; a major Midlands football name conjuring up images of Jimmy Hill, John Sillett and Keith Houchen.
Tuesday’s attendance figure of 1,673 was the lowest to watch the Bantams for two years since 1,507 witnessed a 4-0 win at Barnet.
It was only the ninth sub-2,000 crowd for City games since they were relegated to the bottom tier in 2008.
The last seven were all in League Two and Dagenham are the only hosts from that list to still play league football. Chester, Macclesfield, Hereford and Barnet have all dropped out.
It didn’t quite plumb the depths of the 1,207 at Moss Ross in April 2011 when Peter Jackson celebrated his 50th birthday with a victory he billed afterwards as “one of the top five in my career”.
But Coventry, a club long associated with the top two divisions, don’t belong on that list.
And yet the City turn-out was par for the course. The week before, Stevenage had attracted 24 more; ten days earlier, Port Vale 46 less.
Their “home” average of 2,194 is the lowest in the division by far. Only three teams – Morecambe, Dagenham and Accrington – get less in the whole league.
That’s only 400 more than the number that Coventry take on their travels. They were backed by a whopping 6,781 travelling support for the original Milton Keynes fixture.
But the majority of those refuse to visit Sixfields on principle. Others stand defiantly on the hill overlooking one corner of the ground.
There was about a dozen watching glimpses of the game on Tuesday. They can probably only see about a third of the pitch but it makes the point.
The protesters do not want to feed the pockets of owners who they claim are holding the club to ransom. So an unsatisfactory stalemate persists – with no sign of a solution any time soon.
The lowest crowd to watch City in the modern era was at Selhurst Park, where Wimbledon were passing through on the way to being whisked out of London.
Only 1,178 watched a Championship fixture in February 2003 – this week had that same sensation of rattling round a deserted stadium.
Coventry’s “us against the world” mentality which powered them through the first half of the season is wearing thin.
The loss of one of their two potent strikers hit them hard in January and the other, just named League One player of the month, was missing in midweek through injury.
But results also suggest that the team have grown weary with their alien surroundings. The sheer emptiness must grind you down.

Sky Blue Dal

What will these 'others' do with it do you think?

Selling to the right investors such as Westfields could easily convert the arena complex into a shopping mall. Can't see that being a problem with such an organisation as the main structure and foundations are already set.

If that does happen, then there should not be a problem for SISU to build the new inferrior stadium actually in Coventry as it will be difficult for CCC to reject this plan without valid justification

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Selling to the right investors such as Westfields could easily convert the arena complex into a shopping mall. Can't see that being a problem with such an organisation as the main structure and foundations are already set.

The arena as a shopping centre?

ccfc92

The people I feel sorry for, are those that own the pubs like the Wheatsheaf etc on that road, they went from low income, to huge matchday income, to low income :(

I'm sure we can agree it's not just us fans suffering, it's Coventry's economy too?

Sky Blue Dal

The arena as a shopping centre?

Its obvious ... what do you see when you look around the surrounding area?

To say that Ricoh arena will become a white elephant without the football club really need to open there eyes. WIth the economy improving there are many investors out there looking to expanding there business portfolio. There are many options available for investors to do what they want with that stadium building.

Last edited:

stupot07

Its obvious ... what do you see when you look around the surrounding area?

To say that Ricoh arena will become a white elephant without the football club really need to open there eyes. WIth the economy improving there are many investors out there looking to expanding there business portfolio. There are many options available for investors to do what they want with that stadium building.

It won't be easy or cheap to convert the football stadia part into shops. You'd pretty much have to demolish it and rebuild it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

sky blue john

Simon Parker

RFC says its a great atmosphere !
Torch, Grendell & Nick must be enjoying it or why would You go ?

hill83

RFC says its a great atmosphere !
Torch, Grendell & Nick must be enjoying it or why would You go ?

In fairness I've enjoyed about 5 games in the last 20 years and have always gone until this season. So not really an argument. ;)
Nice try though.

It is a good article.

Users who are viewing this thread