The sack list (1 Viewer)

zuni

No idea why you say Eccles isn't improving. I think he's improving all the time.

Seems to keep getting better.

Definitely one of our best players this season.
Agree, Eccles really tries and yes he has improved but that still isn't the quality we need...Kelly is a warhorse but now too slow, Palmer...meh...Allen like Eccles really tries but isn't good enough. Sheaf I think is off.. O'Hare is off.....we have a significant midfield issue

MalcSB

100% agree. Eccles gets a lot of love on here, and some of it is for good reason, he’s consistent, he tries hard, he can do a bit of everything but my massive issue with the likes of him and Kelly etc is that that real top level quality just isn’t there. Eccles had a decent shot at goal tonight but it hit the side netting, it’s great he’s had a shot and shows willing and is tenacious etc etc but it didn’t end in a goal and that’s all that matters at the end of the day. We can build up play for as long as we like and Eccles can be involved in 26,752 passes in a game but if he’s not consistently creating goal scoring opportunities then it’s all for nothing.

And it’s not just Eccles but the whole midfield, there’s no threat or confidence to run into the box when someone like Haji or Simms has the ball and is looking to cross. There’s just no risk-taking or attacking intent, it’s like hot potato with the ball, no courage or gambling going on, it’s all just way too predictable.
Shock horror. Defensive midfielder covering at right wing narrowly misses target with a shot.

shmmeee

Sell Sheaf, build a first team around MvE, Thomas, Wright, Simms, Sakamoto.

Everyone else is replaceable and should probably be replaced even if they stick around for backup.

Brighton Sky Blue

100% agree. Eccles gets a lot of love on here, and some of it is for good reason, he’s consistent, he tries hard, he can do a bit of everything but my massive issue with the likes of him and Kelly etc is that that real top level quality just isn’t there. Eccles had a decent shot at goal tonight but it hit the side netting, it’s great he’s had a shot and shows willing and is tenacious etc etc but it didn’t end in a goal and that’s all that matters at the end of the day. We can build up play for as long as we like and Eccles can be involved in 26,752 passes in a game but if he’s not consistently creating goal scoring opportunities then it’s all for nothing.

And it’s not just Eccles but the whole midfield, there’s no threat or confidence to run into the box when someone like Haji or Simms has the ball and is looking to cross. There’s just no risk-taking or attacking intent, it’s like hot potato with the ball, no courage or gambling going on, it’s all just way too predictable.
If scored that effort would have been a screamer. What puzzled me more though was when he was yards away from goal with a clear view of it but chose to pass.

Brighton Sky Blue

We can’t be faffing about; we need our targets in early, hopefully king has learned that
It’s not in our hands on Vik, nor is it really on Sheaf if nobody is willing to pay something acceptable. I get the impression though that we do have our ducks in a row and just need the funds.

Which would suggest if the Bidwell rumour is true that we’ve already sorted a new left back.

Deity

We can’t be faffing about; we need our targets in early, hopefully king has learned that
Matt there is a reason why most deals get done in Aug and it’s not that club owners and managers don’t want them in early.

Agents want to hawk their player round as many clubs as possible securing the very best deal and frankly they don’t care at what point in the window they complete that deal.

If agents got a larger % of the fee if the deal was done in June you’d see a very different pattern of transfers.

Boicey

I very much doubt jds or Lati will be offloaded this early (although they aren’t good enough). Godden may choose to sit out his remaining 2 years and play more golf).
The wage bill may be the biggest issue as we’ll probably lose people on the lower end and have to pay big on decent quality).
Recruitment last year on reflection wasn’t great.

BlueSkiesForever

Shock horror. Defensive midfielder covering at right wing narrowly misses target with a shot.
Yeah of course he’s not a striker so it’s not like it’s Eccles’ job is to hit the target but at the same time those are the sort of goals we hardly ever score and taking chances like that could really make a difference to our season. The bloke’s got 7 assists and 2 goals over 2 seasons (I think), it’s really just not good enough.

Passing the ball well and putting in a shift is great but if all that effort creates barely anything then what’s the point? Robins clearly likes him but then Robins really liked playing 5 at the back and that got us nowhere. I think if we want to make it into the prem we have to bite a lot of bullets and be realistic and realise players like Eccles are not going to be the heros that get us into the automatics. We need a much better squad if we’re going to be beating the likes of Preston away, Luton, Burnley, Norwich etc etc.

steve101

I would keep Allen, Latibeudiere and Burroughs for squad depth due to their versatility. At least see how much Burroughs has improved since a season away. He has pace, which is an asset.
I would keep Wilson as a number 2 and add Collins to the list. He has had more shocking moments than any keeper I can remember.
I would also add Wright to the list if we can recoup the money. Can't fault his goal contributions but his general gameplay is of a poor standard.

BlueSkiesForever

Eccles should be one of first names on teamsheet. Has been excellent this season. Bidwell is fine at LB but we need a better understudy than the midget. We need two experienced CB's
I don’t agree about Eccles being first on the team sheet, we should definitely keep him but he shouldn’t be the first name on the team sheet, we need better quality in midfield. Although I do agree that we need a better LB and maybe a stronger CB partnership, it looks too flakey at times.

After some of the performances this season I’m genuinely concerned we’ll end up in a similar position next season. I honestly think King needs to spend around £15 mil to get the squad into shape.

skybluecam

The signing of 2 experienced nasty bastard leader types would help the team hugely in my opinion . One in Central defence , one in midfield. We need more grit and people who are going to yell at others . This would be a massive benefit on the pitch.
Kitchings got the nasty bit down

Hincha

Lati & JDS are not going any where and nor should they. I think they are both good enough to use as utility players to cover multiple positions.

People moan about squad depth then want to clear out players who haven't even been here for 12 months like there is no chance they will improve.

stevefloyd

No idea why you say Eccles isn't improving. I think he's improving all the time.

But still not great, as has been alluded to he is a trier but hasn't got that extra quality we are desperately needing, I think he has performed well but not great

shmmeee

GK (£2m)
MvE Thomas CB (£4m) LB (£2M)
CM (£4m) CM (£2m)
Saka AM (£4m) Wright
Simms

S: Collins, Latubeaudiere, Kitching, Dasilva, Eccles, Torp, EMC, RW (£1m), ST (£1m)

£20m spend. Sheaf £10m, Vik and Gus £10m. One CM and CB to be winning bastards above all else. Maybe save a bit with loans and frees if the quality is there.

SBT

GK (£2m)
MvE Thomas CB (£4m) LB (£2M)
CM (£4m) CM (£2m)
Saka AM (£4m) Wright
Simms

S: Collins, Latubeaudiere, Kitching, Dasilva, Eccles, Torp, EMC, RW (£1m), ST (£1m)

£20m spend. Sheaf £10m, Vik and Gus £10m. One CM and CB to be winning bastards above all else. Maybe save a bit with loans and frees if the quality is there.
You want to spend £20 million and keep the same CB/RB depth that’s seen Latibeaudiere play 40 times, plus zero backup options at AM?

Gint11

Well this is it isn’t it, sheaf will go to fund it

no way a player (probably sheaf) isn’t going if vik doesn’t

hopefully get 12 or so for sheaf

100% this. To be fair, I’d keep Sheaf but he probably is at the peak of his value.

Paxman II

He's at the top end of his game now. And that is barely doing anything for the team. It's not enough from him at his best. We have to be ruthless if you want to acheive. he's a good player but he won't ever uproot trees for us the way hamer did for example. It's just facts you have to face.

Sick Boy

I very much doubt jds or Lati will be offloaded this early (although they aren’t good enough). Godden may choose to sit out his remaining 2 years and play more golf).
The wage bill may be the biggest issue as we’ll probably lose people on the lower end and have to pay big on decent quality).
Recruitment last year on reflection wasn’t great.
I can't see Godden being here next season; he strikes me as the type who'd be desperate to play every week.

Sick Boy

He's at the top end of his game now. And that is barely doing anything for the team. It's not enough from him at his best. We have to be ruthless if you want to acheive. he's a good player but he won't ever uproot trees for us the way hamer did for example. It's just facts you have to face.
Harsh on Eccles; he still has time to develop further.

shmmeee

You want to spend £20 million and keep the same CB/RB depth that’s seen Latibeaudiere play 40 times, plus zero backup options at AM?

The problem at RB has been playing our RB at RW cos we’ve got no backup. Burroughs is back next season and I’d hope to kick on enough to cover the odd game without MvE but I’d also expect MvE to play most games next year. Maybe get a young player in ahead of Burroughs for when MvE likely leaves next summer.

CB again I’d expect to play most games together and Kitching as a back up isn’t that bad.

AM you’ve got Palmer, Allen, Saka and EMC who can play there. Unless we sell another big player we can’t afford to sign multi million pound back up for every position going.

Boicey

I can't see Godden being here next season; he strikes me as the type who'd be desperate to play every week.
Not sure about that. But it will be a bit humiliating if the likes of Daush are getting games before him.

Boicey

Eccles is definitely worth persisting with. Braver than most and willing to adapt and learn.

Offhegoes

Not sure about that. But it will be a bit humiliating if the likes of Daush are getting games before him.
I think Godden's lack of game time since December is telling. Robins loves Matty Godden, but he's not sentimental. The lack of Jamie Allen (particularly last night) also suggests to me he's going.

Monty

I have to admit I see the need for about 10 players.
GK New Player 1 Reserve Collins
RB Milan van E Reserve New Player 2
LB New Player 3 Reserve Bidwell
CB Kitching Reserve Lati
CB Thomas Reserve New Player 4, also need an additional CB New Player 5
M Sheaf Reserve New Player 6
M Eccles Reserve Torp
WR Saka Reserve New Player 7
WL Mason-Clark Reserve New Player 8
F Simms New Player 9
F Wright New Player 10

Could some of the existing squad and youngsters fill those gaps - Taveres, Da Silva, Dausch, Andrews, Burroughs etc think maybe Taveres and Dausch could mean only one forward and one versatile wideman been needed, I read somewhere about Da Silva been trained in pre-season to be used further up the pitch next year, so maybe some of those gaps could be filled, but it is an awful lot of gaps to fill

Users who are viewing this thread