The Senior Generation of Sky Blue Fans (1 Viewer)

skybluealan

This Post is not against the new young faithful Coventry fans which we will always need. My first game was in 1958-59 season, the first ever 4th division (we came second). I moved away from Coventry in 1964 but still to this day support Cov. But my Question is to all senior Coventry supporters, do you feel like I do that every game now is more important now than ever. I am so proud to say that I am a Coventry supporter.

deanocity3

This Post is not against the new young faithful Coventry fans which we will always need. My first game was in 1958-59 season, the first ever 4th division (we came second). I moved away from Coventry in 1964 but still to this day support Cov. But my Question is to all senior Coventry supporters, do you feel like I do that every game now is more important now than ever. I am so proud to say that I am a Coventry supporter.

yes.we must get out of this league this season,by promotion or we will end up like Luton.People said when we came out the premier league we would bounce back,but as each season past we were getting further away.It is now or never.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
My first game was in 1963. (I believe Harold MacMillan was on the throne at the time). Yes, I agree with OP, and I really believe I will not see the Sky Blues back in the top flight in my lifetime. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying they will never do it - just not before I pop me clogs. I'm 60 and in shitty health. I have always been loyal to my club, although I have a small leaning to Liverpool for personal reasons, but this only goes as far as looking for their results each week. As most of you know, I am a proud Irishman, but born in Coventry, and will always class the city as my home, even though my roots are in Eire. I have a strong "Coventry Kid" accent. I love the history of the city, from Godiva through to the 20th century, through to the club and it's history. I talk about the city and club to everyone I meet now that I have retired to the Isle of Wight.
Proud? Damn right I'm proud!

Mucca Mad Boys

It's sad how so many local people choose to support teams like Man U, Chelsea, Man C, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. who they'll never see, I've supported CCFC since I've known football, and I'm proud, but I'm in the minority amongst my peers, it's sad. If the club can pick itself up we could have a larger support base, once again.

rupert_bear

Next time you go to the Ricoh at half time down in the concourse have a look around and you will see a sea of balding or grey haired men aged 50+ and in ratio a shortage of younger dark haired males. The grey set are the remains of a fast dwindling group of fans fed on 34 years of top flight football and supporting Cov is in their blood, we are losing them far quicker than recruiting youngsters. Securing promotion this season is vital and not as improbable as some think but it needs a bit of speculation and there's the problem, SISU won't do that.

Black6Osprey

The problem now is top level football is so easy to see on the tv. When I started watching City in the 70s it was match of the day and probably Star Soccer on a Sunday and that was it. The odd live game if you we're lucky. To watch live top flight footy you had to go up the City. It's hard for kids to go against the grain and turn their back on all the great players stuffed down their throat to support a third tier club.

Otis

I started watching the City in about 1968 I think.

Now is as important as ever it has been.

This season should have seen an automatic promotion challenge, but those first few games before MR came in really, really hurt us and put us on the back foot.

Said on a number of occasions, the business we do now in this January window could hold the key to our fortunes.

ohitsaidwalker king power

OK.. just to check the protocols.. I dont have grey hair.... but am closer to 50 than 40... started going mid to late 70's...does this make me "Senior Generation"?

coundonskyblue

It's sad how so many local people choose to support teams like Man U, Chelsea, Man C, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. who they'll never see, I've supported CCFC since I've known football, and I'm proud, but I'm in the minority amongst my peers, it's sad. If the club can pick itself up we could have a larger support base, once again.

1961-62 season Jimmy Hill took over and we were mid table Div 3, pretty much where we are now. That season the average crowd was 10,256 (about 1k lower than we get now), due to the success & excitement JH brought the figure had jumped to 34,705 by 1967-68.

The ability to bring in an extra 24k fans in just 6 years is impressive, if MR can bring us some success then the rewards are there for the club.

barnsleyskyblue

My first game was in 1974 aged 7. Moved to yorkshire in 1989 and still love the sky blues. Go to all game when in the north. Will be in the the sheffield tap ( pub on the platform in sheffield station) on Feb 1st as excited as i was in 1974.

Mucca Mad Boys

1961-62 season Jimmy Hill took over and we were mid table Div 3, pretty much where we are now. That season the average crowd was 10,256 (about 1k lower than we get now), due to the success & excitement JH brought the figure had jumped to 34,705 by 1967-68.

The ability to bring in an extra 24k fans in just 6 years is impressive, if MR can bring us some success then the rewards are there for the club.

We can dream!

If we get promoted I'm sure we'll have about 20k up at every game.

Houchens Head

OK.. just to check the protocols.. I dont have grey hair.... but am closer to 50 than 40... started going mid to late 70's...does this make me "Senior Generation"?

Interesting point! Just where does the "senior" generation age start and the "young" generation finish? :thinking about:
A bit like the Generation Game (but don't ask Jim Davidson on board just yet! :D)

Sky Blue Kid

Fantastic post HH. I too am 60 next month, and in bad health(Heart condition) My first games were about 3 seasons prior to JH coming to Cov. I moved to S. Wales in 82 but have always had Cov in my blood, although my expectations are high (thirty odd years in top flight football) the younger generation are being denied the right of following a top flight team by our owners. The seed was there, but they refused to feed and water it. I, like you, HH, doubt if I'll see my team in the Prem again, and through all my ill health can still proudly say that I've only missed 5 away games in the last 4 years. I've also still got a full head of hair albeit going grey in places(Not all over):whistle:;)

Houchens Head

Thanks SBK. My ill health includes a dicky ticker - three heart attacks, double bypass, stent insertions - diabetes, fingers riddled with arthritis, breathing is shite, but I keep bouncing back! As I keep telling people, I'm still on the right side of the grass! I've still got a full head of hair - going a bit grey now - and all my teeth are my own (although there's a few missing!)

skyblueexile

SBK & Houchen I'll make it a trio first game 57/58 was season ticket holder for years until I moved upt north

I miss the games but health prohibits

For the first time in years I feel we are on our way back - just wish they would sort ground out and then let the Phoenix rise - the fans deserve it

Sky Blue Kid

HH..

I had 3 heart attacks but no bypasses or stents. the last one was the "Biggy" and was told by staff at the "Royal Gwent hospital" in Newport...S. Wales not IoW lol. that I'm very lucky to still be, as you put it..on the right side of the grass lol.:D
Skyblueexile..Totally agree with you m8. The City have been in the doldrums for far too long. Time to rise from those ashes!:D

I've watched over 1400 home and away games since 1963 and missed just a handful due to inconsiderate wedding arrangements of family and friends and frigging injury the latest being my right knee which is not stopping me going to the "Theatre of Dreams" aka the Ricoh under the brilliance of one Mr M Robins.

Even in this lowly league I still get a buzz the day before a game and try and leap like a salmon when we score (a bit difficult these days at nearly 70 with a few medical problems) - but there you have it a bit disillusioned at our current demise but have complete faith in MR to drastically improve matters.

Last edited:

Houchens Head

HH..

I had 3 heart attacks but no bypasses or stents. the last one was the "Biggy" and was told by staff at the "Royal Gwent hospital" in Newport...S. Wales not IoW lol. that I'm very lucky to still be, as you put it..on the right side of the grass lol.:D
Skyblueexile..Totally agree with you m8. The City have been in the doldrums for far too long. Time to rise from those ashes!:D

Ashes......Not a good word to use among us coffin-dodgers! :D

ampthill_sba

yes.we must get out of this league this season,by promotion or we will end up like Luton.People said when we came out the premier league we would bounce back,but as each season past we were getting further away.It is now or never.

Believe me Luton is a place you don't want to become like :S

wingy

This is going to take this thread somewhere no-one likes to think about ,but I'd say we all think about how long we've got left,I'm 56 in March,and have been wondering how long I've got left for a few years now,being naturally a bit of a pessimist I've been thinking 10-15 rather than 20-25 yrss,where do you all want to get planted :facepalm:

After the Protests outside the Ricoh last year and dragging that coffin around I broached the subject with my brother and said I'd like to go in the SkyBlue garden or better still scatter me on the pitch,If we own it,but there lies an issue ,how safe is our tenure in CV6,there may be no affiliation to the club or area in the relative shorterm future.

WillieStanley

This is going to take this thread somewhere no-one likes to think about ,but I'd say we all think about how long we've got left,I'm 56 in March,and have been wondering how long I've got left for a few years now,being naturally a bit of a pessimist I've been thinking 10-15 rather than 20-25 yrss,where do you all want to get planted :facepalm:

After the Protests outside the Ricoh last year and dragging that coffin around I broached the subject with my brother and said I'd like to go in the SkyBlue garden or better still scatter me on the pitch,If we own it,but there lies an issue ,how safe is our tenure in CV6,there may be no affiliation to the club or area in the relative shorterm future.

It will always be associated with The Sky Blues though. I got married at the Ricoh, second best to HR tbf, but that day will be just as special for me as a fan whether we are there or not.

Houchens Head

I want to be buried at sea - only because my ex mother-in-law said she'd walk all over my grave if I went first! :D

davebart

To be honest I don't care if CCFC never return to the premier. I have very little interest in that 'football'. It bears very little relation to what I believe football should be about.

But the club is in a position where it cannot continue indefinitely in this division or really even in the division above with the financial situation it finds itself in. Sisu want to make money or at the very least recoup their losses and I am afraid if the football club can't generate the funds then they will find some other means.

In this respect every game is important. The fans have had 12 continuous years of sh*t - so they could put up with more. Not so the owners.

Bill Glazier

Next time you go to the Ricoh at half time down in the concourse have a look around and you will see a sea of balding or grey haired men aged 50+ and in ratio a shortage of younger dark haired males. The grey set are the remains of a fast dwindling group of fans fed on 34 years of top flight football and supporting Cov is in their blood, we are losing them far quicker than recruiting youngsters. Securing promotion this season is vital and not as improbable as some think but it needs a bit of speculation and there's the problem, SISU won't do that.

You're right Bear - I noticed how old most of our fans are getting. Not sure if the young are as interested in CCFC as we were, and who can blame them? Not sure either if it's just a CCFC problem, many of the young have been priced out of going to live football. Still, they can pay that charming Murdoch for the privilege of watching on telly, can't they?

torchomatic

My first game was on my 7th birthday, 28th October 1972.

skybluealan

Well when I started this thread it was about the true Coventry supporters that have always stayed with Coventry for over 40+ years. Your question about where does the senior generation start!! I am 65 this year and still feel in my twenties when Coventry win. You are as young as you feel. I am control my feelings when we get beat, but when we win, fantastic and I always have a great weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread