The slating of Andy Thorn (1 Viewer)

Cov 4 Prem

Some how the focus of slating the board has been directed to Andy Thorn?

This is only a message to those who have started it before people starting shooting the thread down at the first hurdle.

Need I remind you that Andy Thorn has signed 2 players since the end of last season?

Need I remind you, since the time where we were all singing songs of praise for the bloke and we started saying "this is what we want to see from our city teams" he has had the spine of the team ripped out?

Need I remind you that ANDY THORN himself, is operating TWO jobs. One isn't required, the chief scout - But he is still operating that position for the club?

He is doing nothing but his best in a job many managers would of walked away from or wouldn't touch.

Just think it's bang out of order that we are taking it out on the man who is being forced to play our youth produce and blood them in one of the most physical and competitive leagues.

How long before the SISU & AT Out campaign begins? How long before people boo at the end of a game...

Bunch of morons.

Johnnythespider

I think AT made mistakes on saturday not least only using one sub, the Mcdonald one is understandable if he had a knock as has been reported. But i do not think sacking him will get us anywhere, I have prepared myself for the worst this season and will stick by AT and the team as long as relegation is used as a platform to rebuild this club. Expectations of this squad are way too high IMO. I like the OP

He can resign from chief scout surely and concentrate on the management side since we are not getting any new players! I think the tactics should have been different at the weekend but i am not going over board just yet. We needed to replace Marlon and we didn't and that is the biggest missing part of the jigsaw for me.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Have we not signed THREE players this season? AT is showing naivity. we thought he was learning lessons as the season goes on, Saturday has shown that he hasnt! His tactics, and more importantly decision making, i.e subs, have been poor to say the least. I appreciate the way he wants us to play can be attractive. However more often than not, teams take advantage of this and must find us quite predictable and easy to play against. Take Saturday for an example (again) where Howe decided to change things after 40 minutes. After they figured us out, were we really in the game? No. Who was to blame? Only one man imo - Thorn.

Last edited:
He can resign from chief scout surely and concentrate on the management side since we are not getting any new players! I think the tactics should have been different at the weekend but i am not going over board just yet. We needed to replace Marlon and we didn't and that is the biggest missing part of the jigsaw for me.
If he keeps the scout job then he has something to go back to should he fail as manager. Fair play I say, but the tactics at the weekend were appalling. Rod shouldve come off and a midfielder shouldve come on to defend the hard earned point.

Lord_Nampil

Have we not signed THREE players this season? AT is showing naivity. we thought he was learning lessons as the season goes on, Saturday has shown that he hasnt! His tactics, and more importantly decision making, i.e subs, have been poor to say the least. I appreciate the way he wants us to play can be attractive. However more often than not, teams take advantage of this and must find us quite predictable and easy to play against. Take Saturday for an example (again) where Howe decided to change things after 40 minutes. After they figured us out, were we really in the game? No. Who was to blame? Only one man imo - Thorn.

I am glad i am not the only one, exactly how i see it!

Jim

Players make mistakes....

Managers make mistakes....

Will Andy Thorn make more mistakes than most managers? Yes, he is still learning the job hands on in a difficult environment. If we get to the end of season and the same mistakes are still happening then his position will need to be reviewed.

Can I suggest that instead of slating the man, can we accept that these things will happen in his first ever season as a manager. He needs our support and so do the players.

PUSB

sky_blue_up_north

And when we sack another manager, get someone else in and cheer him on... 18 months later we sack another manager, and we get another manager cheer him on, 18 months later..... AT was naive on Saturday, get rid of him, don't be stupid. Give him a lot more time, lets be honest any manager who can keep us up this season is a miracle worker

Didge76

20% win ratio says it all. Yes football might be easy on the eye sometimes and with that I mean sometimes but stats don't lie. If we don't get much out of the next 2 games I reckon it's going to be curtains. Got nowt against the guy but needs must in these desperate times!

Jimthor

On the topic of not making subs / not changing things on Saturday:
Could our system have done with changing? Sure. But it's not just as simple as saying that when we don't know all the details. If neither Baker nor Deegs started, then it's possible both were carrying knocks. If they're not really fit to play but having to be on the bench anyway, that's not AT's fault. That's a problem with squad depth. People are saying we should have changed things, but did AT really have that many options for change? In the past he's shown a willingness to make subs far more than AB did, which makes me think that his reasons for not making changes on Saturday could be beyond just him "not realising they were needed".
I'm not saying that this necessarily IS the case, but for all we know, it could be. So such stinging criticism may not be justified. Why the lack of faith?

Imo, AT is doing a good job with a threadbare squad and a serious lack of resources. Lay off him. Will he make the occasional mistake? Sure, of course he will. But then again, all of our last few managers have. Why do you think replacing him will solve that? I trust Thorn.

AFCCOVENTRY

On the topic of not making subs / not changing things on Saturday:
Could our system have done with changing? Sure. But it's not just as simple as saying that when we don't know all the details. If neither Baker nor Deegs started, then it's possible both were carrying knocks. If they're not really fit to play but having to be on the bench anyway, that's not AT's fault. That's a problem with squad depth. People are saying we should have changed things, but did AT really have that many options for change? In the past he's shown a willingness to make subs far more than AB did, which makes me think that his reasons for not making changes on Saturday could be beyond just him "not realising they were needed".
I'm not saying that this necessarily IS the case, but for all we know, it could be. So such stinging criticism may not be justified. Why the lack of faith?

Imo, AT is doing a good job with a threadbare squad and a serious lack of resources. Lay off him. Will he make the occasional mistake? Sure, of course he will. But then again, all of our last few managers have. Why do you think replacing him will solve that? I trust Thorn.

But Bigi is not allowed to make a mistake and get completely humiliated by his manager?

I am afraid Thorn showed a distinct lack of professionalism. The comments have been published all over the place and this is a real test to see how Bigi emerges from this.

Oh by the way Bigi... we are waiting for you to sign a new contract but let me have a go at you in public. :facepalm:

Jimthor

But Bigi is not allowed to make a mistake and get completely humiliated by his manager?

I am afraid Thorn showed a distinct lack of professionalism. The comments have been published all over the place and this is a real test to see how Bigi emerges from this.

Oh by the way Bigi... we are waiting for you to sign a new contract but let me have a go at you in public. :facepalm:

Humiliated? I totally don't get the fuss about what Thorn said. Have i heard a different interview to everybody else or something?! Player does something wrong, manager says player did something wrong. OUTRAGE!

Paxman II

As Otis said elsewhere there are actually very few on here calling for the man's head. What is being discussed is the fact that football is crazy and Thorn has to get things working better, consistently and quickly as the boards patience will run out as it has already and unbelievably run out on Mr Sven today.

Otis

Don't understand this thread at all.

Since when does criticising a manager about decisions made on Saturday equate to wanting him sacked? :thinking about:

AFCCOVENTRY

To me much of the debate on this and other threads is questioning the decision making process of Thorn.

Not many calling for his head but his decision making will have to show a marked improvement to assist with the turnaround the team needs.

BenInTurin

Facebook User
Quick!!! Sack AT and get Eriksson in, I heard he just lives down the road and is all of a sudden unemployed...:whistle:

BenInTurin

Facebook User
But seriously, sacking AT wouldn't get us anywhere. I think he's shown his inexperience with some of his decision making but he's shown he can make the right decision (Leeds second half). Maybe he cost us the game on Saturday by making what we think was a wrong decision, maybe it wouldn't have made a difference.

The one thing I like is that he tries to do something different, unlike AB and CC who would just keep trying the same thing hoping it would some how work!

Otis

Humiliated? I totally don't get the fuss about what Thorn said. Have i heard a different interview to everybody else or something?! Player does something wrong, manager says player did something wrong. OUTRAGE!

Wasn't the fact that he said he did something wrong, it was the fact that when asked how he thought Bigi might be feeling in the dressing room he said he didn't care.

I hope SISU haven't got their calculator out - Sven sacked for only 2 wins in 7 games, AT with 5 wins in 23 games could come under risk of the cosh - the only saving grace is that Sven spent £13M in thirteen months and AT 13 pence.

The diamond is clearly not working 10 goals in 13 games half of which scored by one player is going to be our deathknell if we are not careful.

Come on AT show us the way out of this mess

PUSB

Otis

Well i think AT is trying to deploy the best system he can with the players he's got. It's a tough job whichever formation we use.

I agree Otis but we are just not scoring goals - if we are 1-0 down it's a mountain to climb to score 2 and win (we struggle to score 1 !!! - other players must weigh in like other teams specially midfield - if the Juke gets injured where on earth will the goals come from ??

If the diamond is not the answer try Plan B which could be a derivative of 4-4-2 but that is debatable because of the limitations of our threadbare squad - what is the answer, even £13M could't save Sven.

stupot07

I agree Otis but we are just not scoring goals - if we are 1-0 down it's a mountain to climb to score 2 and win (we struggle to score 1 !!! - other players must weigh in like other teams specially midfield - if the Juke gets injured where on earth will the goals come from ??

If the diamond is not the answer try Plan B which could be a derivative of 4-4-2 but that is debatable because of the limitations of our threadbare squad - what is the answer, even £13M could't save Sven.

But it's no just the system, it's the players, we've lost 21 goals from last season and only brought Cody in. Baker had a good had a good half a season in league one but neither him, clingan or bell will score more than 2 or 3 a season and our most potent goal scorer from midfield is mcsheffery and he's injured. And up to now juke had had to play up front with rod and platt and they haven't got goals in them either.

BIG G

Having been a season ticket holder for almost 25 years until 2 years ago, i always looked at the football we played and effort put in. If you watch even the lower league teams, the running off the ball and desire is there. They are low paid "proffesionals" who look interested and want to win. What i haver seen in the last few seasons are players and managers who are scared to lose the games and who dont look as though they care. After 40 plus years following the Sky Blues i have sadly joined the cant be asked brigade., and have only been to the Forest game. The manager is all we can afford, the players are mostly what no one else wants and you cant move forward with that typ of club attitude, sadly with this regime i see no reason to go again. I ask the Chairman and Sisu to give me a reason to go and support the club i love once again.

rob9872

Having been a season ticket holder for almost 25 years until 2 years ago, i always looked at the football we played and effort put in. If you watch even the lower league teams, the running off the ball and desire is there. They are low paid "proffesionals" who look interested and want to win. What i haver seen in the last few seasons are players and managers who are scared to lose the games and who dont look as though they care. After 40 plus years following the Sky Blues i have sadly joined the cant be asked brigade., and have only been to the Forest game. The manager is all we can afford, the players are mostly what no one else wants and you cant move forward with that typ of club attitude, sadly with this regime i see no reason to go again. I ask the Chairman and Sisu to give me a reason to go and support the club i love once again.

Why after you only went to Forest - a game in which we deservedly won, do you feel compelled to give us the benefit of your experience as one who stays away in the belief that things can possibly improve whilst attendances continue to fall? If you finished two years ago then that was at dire football as the lack of SISU investment was not apparent then and the football played now and the effort put in is chalk and cheese. If anything the effort is way above that level albeit that the over all quality of player may not be as high. Many of us are long suffering fans and I wouldn't dream of suggesting those who do and don't go are any less or more of a supporter, because we all have our reasons to attend or not, be it financial geographical or something else but at least be true enough to yourself in your reasons for giving up on the team.

Cov 4 Prem

I've read a few replies to my initial thread, and summary of responses are this.

To the person who made the sarcastic comment of we have signed 3 players, 2 of those were goalkeepers and only 2 our actually first team.

Coventry City: Murphy, Keogh, Hussey, Christie, Wood, Clingan (c), Thomas, Bigirimana, Bell, Jutkiewicz, McDonald (O'Donovan 67)
Subs: Dunn (GK), Baker, Deegan, Cameron

Deegan and baker, both had injuries recently and probably still not 100% or even capable of playing, just so we can field a squad of some sort.

Wood, not long come back. Hussey, Christie and Thomas who are still young bloods, Cameron who is also too young for this league...

I pose one question to everyone against AT and his tactics, who should come in for him? Who can work as well as him while not demoralising what little morale we have left?

bishbosh

I don't think Thorn stands a chance, there is no investment in the club for players the fact that there are a lot of young players being thrown in at the deep end is evidence enough. I cannot see anyone coming in and doing better under the circumstances. If any of our players do perform and play really well then the lovely SISU will probably try to cash in; another player out with no one coming in.

The young players are developing in one role, to ask them to chop and change weekly will be damaging to their development - but then I suppose being in the deep end already is to a certain extent.

5 wins in 20 odd games is very bad but taken in context of the boardroom rubbish behind the scenes I think a lot of slack is required. I don't know who would come in to do the job other than a new manager learning his trade like AT and people like that need the help, resources and mentroing that as a club we do not have.

The words rock and hard place spring to mind.

Macca

I've read a few replies to my initial thread, and summary of responses are this.

To the person who made the sarcastic comment of we have signed 3 players, 2 of those were goalkeepers and only 2 our actually first team.

Coventry City: Murphy, Keogh, Hussey, Christie, Wood, Clingan (c), Thomas, Bigirimana, Bell, Jutkiewicz, McDonald (O'Donovan 67)
Subs: Dunn (GK), Baker, Deegan, Cameron

Deegan and baker, both had injuries recently and probably still not 100% or even capable of playing, just so we can field a squad of some sort.

Wood, not long come back. Hussey, Christie and Thomas who are still young bloods, Cameron who is also too young for this league...

I pose one question to everyone against AT and his tactics, who should come in for him? Who can work as well as him while not demoralising what little morale we have left?

unfortunately you started a thread by calling people morons, never a great beginning.

the response to any criticism of Thorn is "can't believe you want him sacked" eh????

majority are criticising some decision making, are we not allowed to do this?

if the manager is beyond being culpable for anything because of "funds" then why bother having one at all.

i know he is short of players but anyone would think he had a team of non-leaguers the way people speak

rob9872

The truth is that we don't have a real top quality 20+ goals a season striker. They cost money and we have none. There is not a fat lot between many of the teams in the league and that fact is our best hope of staying up as in not our quality but the lack of it elsewhere. A good striker would move a team possibly ten places imo in this league. We need to get a couple of lucky breaks in terms of refereeing decisions, form, suspensions, injuries etc and we have a chance of staying up but we do have a very very thin squad of players. On paper the first XI doesn't look that bad in comparison to others but you can always expect a few players in your squad to be carrying injuries or be out of form but at City we find they have to play through it due to limited options and funds.

sky blue john

But it's no just the system, it's the players, we've lost 21 goals from last season and only brought Cody in. Baker had a good had a good half a season in league one but neither him, clingan or bell will score more than 2 or 3 a season and our most potent goal scorer from midfield is mcsheffery and he's injured. And up to now juke had had to play up front with rod and platt and they haven't got goals in them either.

I agree Stu but obviously even though he hasn't been given the tools to do the job we have some unrealistic fans on here that think he should be sacked. I would laugh my socks off if AT got offered the job down the road and I wouldn't blame him for taking it.

Grendel

unfortunately you started a thread by calling people morons, never a great beginning.

the response to any criticism of Thorn is "can't believe you want him sacked" eh????

majority are criticising some decision making, are we not allowed to do this?

if the manager is beyond being culpable for anything because of "funds" then why bother having one at all.

i know he is short of players but anyone would think he had a team of non-leaguers the way people speak

And that is the point to many people Thorn cannot be criticised as he is employed by a very unpopular regime. Truth is SISU, in the same way that they offer contracts for poor players also have recruited a "cheap as chips" manager that ultimately gives us little hope for survival. Thorn is not a manager. I have crtisicised interviews he has given in the past and have been lambasted for such. However, on Saturday his true colours were shown - he had no answers and just through out a few macho cliches and criticised a few players. He does not know the stresses and strains of a management position but I suspect as winter draws in and the defeats carry on he will soon find out what management is really like and will jump ship even before he is pushed.

Next two games will determine his fate. We have a chance of survival - Bristol are shot, Millwall are as weak financially as us and Doncaster's ridiculous appointment of Mackay is surely doomed for failure. So, 4th from bottom is a possibility but not with him at the helm. He cannot instil a seige mentality and cannot cope with defeats well.

sky blue john

The truth is that we don't have a real top quality 20+ goals a season striker. They cost money and we have none. There is not a fat lot between many of the teams in the league and that fact is our best hope of staying up as in not our quality but the lack of it elsewhere. A good striker would move a team possibly ten places imo in this league. We need to get a couple of lucky breaks in terms of refereeing decisions, form, suspensions, injuries etc and we have a chance of staying up but we do have a very very thin squad of players. On paper the first XI doesn't look that bad in comparison to others but you can always expect a few players in your squad to be carrying injuries or be out of form but at City we find they have to play through it due to limited options and funds.

I agree Rob with a little luck I'm hopeing that there are three teams worse than us this season. I would take 4th from bottom now. I am fed up with the ever changing manager circle. Yes AT is inexperianced, yes he is going to make mistakes, yes he is on a massive learning curve I'm happy for us to stick with him. I would like to see what he could do with some funds but we may have to wait a while for that.

georgehudson

just don't go there,
completely & utterly out of 'order',
being given the farcically dire amount to invest he has at least produced a team to challenge, albeit in the lower part of the league,
lots of promising youth product, academy take a bow!!!!
zilch to spend, compare that to SGE,
given a budget commensurate with this league, i think we would have been just outside the 'play-off' places,
my concern is totally with our myopic owners who exhibit the ability to be about as much use as 'a one legged man in an arse kicking contest'

PUSB

stupot07

The big issue rob is our almost total reliance on our strikers to get all the goals. 20 goal a season strikers are a rarity, the last one we had was Dublin. We really need the midfield to start contributing, if we could get 25-30 between juke and Cody that would be a success, that means we need at least 15 from our midfield and possible 5-8 from our back four. And that's just to get us to a bare minimum of a goal a game.

Users who are viewing this thread