The sooner............ (1 Viewer)

Blind_Faith

Fans can get over the fact that Murphy is not Westwood the better. We were lucky to have had Westwood for 3 years and im sure we would of been in this posistion alot sooner without him but he has gone now, Murphy is our NO.1 and has been promoted twice ( i believe? ) out of this division and you dont loose that over night.

Yes maybe he doesnt come out and claim every cross but the lad is only human and being a goalkeeper means mistakaes usually get punished move heavily. People seem to forget all the saves he has made to keep us in games this season, Yeovil being an example.

So get off the lads back and start giving him a bit of support!

Grendel

Murphy is a good standard League 1 goalkeeper.

The issue is he becomes a scapegoat and an easy figure to criticise. His goals against column versus Westwood in the championship stands up well and that in an inferior team.

Other players such as McDonald seem immune from critisiscm by some yet they under perform to a much greater level.

Greggs

Have never, ever compared him to Westwood. This is something you have dreamt up.
Having watched Coventry for many years, we have been blessed with a fair few decent keepers. Murphy has a bad attitude in my opinion, constantly criticising the same players, TERRIBLE DISTRIBUTION, not commanding, but is a decent shot stopper.
I support him, every Saturday, but notice that for the team to improve we need a stronger goalkeeper. That is all
PEACE

stupot07

Agree with the above, I think a lot of fans took Westwood for granted and didnt appreciate how good he really was when he was here, he was a match winner and was worth 8-10 points a season.

pusbccfc

He's a good Keeper murphy. Kept ups in so many games

Blind_Faith

Ok maybe compare is the wrong phrase, but i believe this scape goating of Murphy is completely out of order. But after years of watching someone who was quite clearly too good for us, the next lad was always going to have a hard time, but after years of Fabian Debecs and Scott Shearers i think some fans need a reailty check.

Hcut PUSB

TBF the thing with Murphy is he never seems to think he is in the wrong he thinks he is far better than he really is, he is continually out of position, yet when the cock up comes he is the first to berate all the defenders and he is fairly uncouth whilst doing so. I believe we should give Dunn a go , cant be any worse and on the couple of occasions I have seen him play he seems to have a far better command of his area. All points relating to Westwood agree 100, we were lucky to have him as long as we did, and it was great to watch him for as long as we did.

FinchyNo1

Murphy has proven he is capable if being a decent keeper, only problem is I don't think our defence has great confidence in him as he never comes for the ball and catches it, I agree he is a good shot stopper but he misses the basics, the first goal against Shrewsbury was a schoolboy error and he nearly cost us another goal on sat when Carlisle crossed the ball into the six yard box and he just watched. Luckily he made a good save but it would have been a lot easier to just come out for the ball. Oggy must be telling him this in training as its basics, IMO I wouldn't put Dunn in from what I saw in pre season - maybe give burge a try?

Mucca Mad Boys

The issue is he becomes a scapegoat and an easy figure to criticise. His goals against column versus Westwood in the championship stands up well and that in an inferior team.

Other players such as McDonald seem immune from critisiscm by some yet they under perform to a much greater level.

Don't necessarily agree with the Cody comment, but definately agree with the Murphy comment!

Thing is with Cody, he is a poacher takes chances (ok, not every game but if he did, he wouldn't be L1, but the prem) he is our joint top goal scorer and last season was our best goal scoring striker!* In the time he was on, he hit the post. Also, he isn't like McG, McG has pace and decent dribbling (and finishing!) and can run at defenders so he immediately looks a better player whereas Cody doesn't + can't do that, doesn't mean he is a BAD player. Last season my mates were slating him!

*That's not including Juke

SkyBlue_Bear83

Don't necessarily agree with the Cody comment, but definately agree with the Murphy comment!

Thing is with Cody, he is a poacher takes chances (ok, not every game but if he did, he wouldn't be L1, but the prem) he is our joint top goal scorer and last season was our best goal scoring striker!* In the time he was on, he hit the post. Also, he isn't like McG, McG has pace and decent dribbling (and finishing!) and can run at defenders so he immediately looks a better player whereas Cody doesn't + can't do that, doesn't mean he is a BAD player. Last season my mates were slating him!

*That's not including Juke
Mcdonald isn't a great player by any stretch but he does have a knack for getting into good positions

cloughie

Agreed Murphy is the level we are at and unfortunately that is not top quality

If he was he wouldn't be playing for us

cloughie

Have never, ever compared him to Westwood. This is something you have dreamt up.
Having watched Coventry for many years, we have been blessed with a fair few decent keepers. Murphy has a bad attitude in my opinion, constantly criticising the same players, TERRIBLE DISTRIBUTION, not commanding, but is a decent shot stopper.
I support him, every Saturday, but notice that for the team to improve we need a stronger goalkeeper. That is all
PEACE

I would agree with your assesment of Murphy but this is the level we are at, he is no worse than the outfield players

Astute

I am a GK myself. It helps if you can trust your defence and they trust you. None of this seems to be happening at the moment.

Your defence needs to know you will call for it when you can get to it, and will catch the ball or at least put it safer than they could. They also need to know you will come for the ball when it is anywhere near the 6 yd box. A GK should have command of everywhere from the goal line to 12 yards out most of the time, not just standing near the goal line waiting for something to happen. On corners and free kicks the 1st 8 yards are yours. A good GK will own this area.

So he is a good shot stopper. The problem is he would have less shots to stop if he commanded his area better and cleared up more crosses than he does. If his defenders trusted him more they could cover players more than they do now as they also have to cover space that he should command.

He is still a decent enough GK, but would be much better if he would come for the ball more often.

Nonleagueherewecome

I really don't think he is a good shot-stopper: the amount of time he either gets a hand to it and goes in or he moves too late. That's without the constant bollockings of team-mates after he cocks up and the inability to come for crosses. Not having a go, just really not getting the love-in for what has been one of our poorer players.

skybluesteve76

Westwoods were big boots to fill! There aren't many keepers outside the prem as Good as him.
I think we've got a decent league one keeper and below average championship keeper.
Prone to errors, decent shot stopper. Very prone to the odd nightmare 90 minutes!

@richh87

I think Murphy is alright, that's all. Could do better, could do worse - but on the list of players in our squad that need a bollocking he's quite far down it!

Black6Osprey

Murphy is okay but yes he could command his area better. He has been responsible for a few goals this season but the vast majority of the blame lies with the defence and to a lesser degree with the midfield. I suggest our defenders forget about what Murphy is doing and concentrate on their own job as so far they have been very poor and are costing us goals every game.

WillieStanley

Hang on... Most have been moaning that he shouts too much, now he doesn't command his area??!!

Murphy is a decent 'keeper. No, he's not Westwood but he plays with passion, communicates, is a decent enough shot stopper and good with crosses. His distribution isn't overly bad. He is prone to mistakes but is better than a lot of Champ 'keepers, certainly better than most we've had post Prem relegation.

Black6Osprey

Hang on... Most have been moaning that he shouts too much, now he doesn't command his area??!!

Yes but there is difference between commanding your area and shouting after the event.

I've got no issue with him shouting his head off as the defence normally deserves it but I take issue with your statement that he is good on crosses because its the worst part of his game.

wingy

The game has moved on ,Most goalies don't seem to come for crosses,The way the whole defence are coached now,Zonal marking Etc ,Its all a long way from Oggys days,I don't think westwood was one for coming for crosses either,it seems the line is their territory these days and the defence are responsible for everything else.

Astute

The game has moved on ,Most goalies don't seem to come for crosses,The way the whole defence are coached now,Zonal marking Etc ,Its all a long way from Oggys days,I don't think westwood was one for coming for crosses either,it seems the line is their territory these days and the defence are responsible for everything else.

The top goalies still come for crosses. Why not go for a ball you should get?

hamil99

Facebook User

Tell ya what, Joe Hart comes for crosses, and he's definitely a top keeper. Actually, all good goal keepers have claim of their area ( 6 yard box), maybe that's says more about the league we are in then murphy, for the level he is playing at, he's alright!

Users who are viewing this thread