The university hospital (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Whats going on with the place .
my sister is in with suspected appendicitus , also fluids around her ovaries and needs both appendix and ovaries removed .
4 days sat on an emergency operation list pumped full of morphine and delaying her operation , lost half a stone as she cannot eat . people in halls on beds for hours on end , my dad had to go to tend an old lady in a cubacle that couldnt grab the attention of a nurse as hernose had literally exploded with blood (she had a fall ) .
What is going on with the nhs

dutchman

It was exactly the same scene 19 years ago when my housekeeper was admitted after having a stroke. She was kept waiting on a trolley in a corridor while an addict well-known to the staff was treated for a drug overdose in a private side room. A woman in a hospital bed had been waiting seven days to see a doctor. An elderly woman was occupying a bed purely because her family didn't want her living with them any more. Nurses were filling in for junior doctors. Junior doctors were filling in for consultants. The senior registrar in A&E had been on duty for 72 hours without a break.

When I finally got out of that hell hole I swore I would never set foot in the place again if I could possibly help it.

Nick

Administrator
Christ, hope she gets well soon!

Never had an issue with the hospitals, gps are useless though

bringbackrattles

I've lost my mother and baby son at Walsgrave hospital and our family all say they died through poor care.
The nurses on the whole do a sound job,but they are short on numbers and they don't know if they're coming or going half the time.I hate going there through these bad experiences and if I do have to go I try and get out as quick as I can.

lewys33

My mrs works as a nurse at UHCW. Every time I pick her up after work it is like she wants to cry. They are severely under-staffed.

bringbackrattles

My mrs works as a nurse at UHCW. Every time I pick her up after work it is like she wants to cry. They are severely under-staffed.
My sister is a nurse and has been for forty years but she left hospital nursing and now does it in a care home instead. Yet even there she does long tiring shifts for not high wages and has been assaulted by dementia patients on her rounds.I worry for her health but as is her caring nature she carries on.The vast majority of nurses are angels and deserve so much more !

Evo1883

Just an update , after being taken doen to theatre and waiting for 2 hours with all the prep done and literally waiting to be put to sleep , the doctor came in and said there was a sudden emergency and she was to go back to the ward , she has also been 3 days without prescribed medication she needs. Late last night she went down and finally had her operation .
there is no doubt the NHS is really stretched and literally people will and probably have died because of this .
and im sorry for your losses rattles

bringbackrattles

Just an update , after being taken doen to theatre and waiting for 2 hours with all the prep done and literally waiting to be put to sleep , the doctor came in and said there was a sudden emergency and she was to go back to the ward , she has also been 3 days without prescribed medication she needs. Late last night she went down and finally had her operation .
there is no doubt the NHS is really stretched and literally people will and probably have died because of this .
and im sorry for your losses rattles
Thanks for that much appreciated. Sorry to hear about all this stress etc but to be honest it doesn't shock me.People do die through lack of care but they cover it up ! Hope you get the care she needs so all the best.

Johnnythespider

It's ok, Cameron said he loves the NHS and it is safe in his hands. But then he did once forget one of his kids after a trip to the pub. Too many managers not enough doctors and nurses, much the same as most proffessions.

RedSalmon

I'm old enough to remember when there wasn't a single professional manager in the whole of the NHS, just a Matron who ruled the hospital with a rod of iron.

Those days are gone, and as someone who works in the NHS I am glad they have. The myth that things worked better under such a regime are just that, a myth. One of the biggest problems the NHS faces is that it is a political football, and that politicians of all sides have different views on how it should be run.

Am sorry for any patient or relative who feels they have not been well looked after when they have been in hospital, any hospital, but the sad fact is that unless they are better funded/resourced then these issues will remain.

BTW I am not a manager but a hands on clinician.

wingy

Those days are gone, and as someone who works in the NHS I am glad they have. The myth that things worked better under such a regime are just that, a myth. One of the biggest problems the NHS faces is that it is a political football, and that politicians of all sides have different views on how it should be run.

Am sorry for any patient or relative who feels they have not been well looked after when they have been in hospital, any hospital, but the sad fact is that unless they are better funded/resourced then these issues will remain.

BTW I am not a manager but a hands on clinician.

excellent point ,was going to post on this and got half way through and scrubbed It.

Education Is just the same ,change for changes sake ,to justify their being and the office they're In .

I believe Cameron and Osbourne have tried to distance themselves from the disaster of Landsbury's reform this week ,just need to do the same for Gove now and everything will be dandy ,bar the fact around £5-6B of taxpayers money has been wasted.

RedSalmon

Am sure education goes through the same upheavals depending on which politacal regime is in charge. They all have their own agendas depending upon their own politics. For example when the Labour goverment was in power the NHS became very cetralised with big hospitals being invested in and smaller regional hospitals being starved of funding. Since the Conservative\Liberal cooalition there has been a change there has been a bit of a sea change to allow smaller hospitals to flourish subject to their ability to produce, and centralisation discouraged. The sad thing is that all of these changes cost money and take time. The people who suffer and get caught in the middle are the public.

Within the NHS and education there are some very talented, highly committed individuals who want the services they are part of to succeed and deliver what the public expects and requires.

Rant over.

Users who are viewing this thread