The value of support?? (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdale

The thread exhorting our support to be the 12th man got me thinking back to games where crowd support did make a difference. To be honest in the 40 years I've been following the team those occasions have been few and far between either at the Ricoh or at HR. The games that come immediately to me have been away games: the Wimbledon 'Ndlovu' game, the league cup win at Man U, and the quarter final in 87 at Sheff Wed for instance.

In regards of home games I can think of the League Cup semi comeback game against West Ham in 1981, and maybe a few wins against Villa in the early 90's, as well as the win against them in the year Keane played for us when Dublin and Boateng returned for Villa. Mostly big support at home has resulted in disappointment, such as with the Crewe semi 2 years ago. Even in the Gillingham game this season the support of the crowd got the team edgy at times, and we rode our luck to win.

I'm sure there are many other examples I've missed, so look forward to being reminded of them!!

kg82

My favourite game ever was at HR on Boxing Day 99, when we beat Arsenal 3-2 and one of the main reasons for that was the atmosphere was electric!

kg82

No your right.
Can't remember that one but I do the Utd one with Huckerby scoring in the last few minutes.

In fact both are goals were late and I bet a few had left early ?

I didn't go to the utd game, think I had a game for my school that day. But got back home a few minutes into the match and kept upto date on ceefax!! Left it with 10 mins to go cos I thought we'd lost and had my tea! Checked about 6:30, couldn't believe it!!

Terry Gibson's perm

No your right.
Can't remember that one but I do the Utd one with Huckerby scoring in the last few minutes.

In fact both are goals were late and I bet a few had left early ?

I can't work out why people leave early if we were 5v0 down with 2 minutes to go maybe but people around me leave with 10 minutes to go whatever the score.

blueflint

the wo;ves match when we won div 2 to get promoted to div 1 out of this world atmosphere.

wish we could recreate that

bigfatronssba

I had been bought a ticket for that Man Utd game for Christmas. Didn't go as I was ill, I still regret that decision all these years later!

steveecov

Remember Norwich at Xmas (not going to check,but thought it was more than once.) One 5-4 springs to mind.

Watching from the Kop Remember Duncan Forbes scoring a 30 yard own goal header. Swear we sucked it in.

Also Larry Lloyd scoring a 40+ yard screamer.

Happy Days on the telly and the pitch.

covcity4life

My favourite game ever was at HR on Boxing Day 99, when we beat Arsenal 3-2 and one of the main reasons for that was the atmosphere was electric!

Also my favourite game ever. I was sitting in between a really.nice old man and then the most angry swearing individual I ever met. Great memory.

Users who are viewing this thread