The World Cup Thread (2 Viewers)

People sounding the praises of that mercenary Southgate, mild mannered bloke he may be? Let's not forget that he threw the game against Belgium to ensure an easy ride to the semi final. The quarter final against Sweden was a walk in the park against an impotent opposition.

Otis

Agree and i've defended Stirling (even tho there wasn't a better option). Its all hindsight now but i wish Southgate would of been braver and beefed up the midfield but hey ho its all a load of bollox...
Yep.
We should have had Henderson on Modric and then maybe played someone alongside of him. That would have meant a change of system though and that was something Southgate just wouldn't have done I don't think.

Nick

Administrator
As I said earlier...

"As critical as I have been about Sterling...it was quite glaring once he went off. His workrate chasing down derenders was fantastic. And nobody took threatening runs at their defence either. That is why the pundits like him I reckon, so fair play to them & him"

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
The pundits went ott because of the media hassle he gets.

Brighton Sky Blue

You are on a real downer...we all are. Imagine how those guys feel - especially those that have not had much of a look-in. Let them have their day. If they lose - they lose. If they win, it is a bit more pride to bring back with the squad

Sounds harsh I know but there's no point in making teams hang around after immense disappointment

Otis

People sounding the praises of that mercenary Southgate, mild mannered bloke he may be? Let's not forget that he threw the game against Belgium to ensure an easy ride to the semi final. The quarter final against Sweden was a walk in the park against an impotent opposition.
Sweden were poor against us. Well beaten.

Grendel

Yes a team that qualified above germany and stopped Italy from qualifying

Westendlad

Yep.
We should have had Henderson on Modric and then maybe played someone alongside of him. That would have meant a change of system though and that was something Southgate just wouldn't have done I don't think.
To be honest Otis i thought Modric was poor. Delph for Alli i would of gone for from the start.

Reactions: vow

covmark

All a load of nonsense really.

Most teams don’t win world cups very often and many none at all. In the end the team remained until virtually the end of the tournament and provide entertainment and excitement. That’s all that’s needed.

The manager managed the situation well. He worked the media far better than the previous managers and achieved also to get the players into the media and portray them as likeable guys - so removed from the dire years of McLaren and Cappello.

It’s better than 1990 as that was a pre premier league era and our players were big experienced names - some players had and went on to play in other leagues around the world as did the manager.

The premier league hugely limits options. Many of the players are not big names and not always first names on team sheets.

Lots of big teams fell by the wayside early in the competition and no one thought they’d get this far.

So people should not be carping about easy groups easy teams crap opposition.

We’ve finished in the top 4 and it’s been s pretty good adventure.
Good post.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Blind-Faith

Sterling shouldn’t be seen in an England shirt again, useless little twat!!! He’s quick and that is it , Theo Walcott v2.0...

Blind-Faith

Run all you like , don’t score or get an assist and a forward is still classed as having a good game? You could put any plum on and run a defence ragged you clown , goals win games as simple as that , but we insist on persisting with this useless fucking waste of breath in an England top but because he runs around a lot he does ok? Might aswell call Andy Morrell up to the squad you plum

Otis

Run all you like , don’t score or get an assist and a forward is still classed as having a good game? You could put any plum on and run a defence ragged you clown , goals win games as simple as that , but we insist on persisting with this useless fucking waste of breath in an England top but because he runs around a lot he does ok? Might aswell call Andy Morrell up to the squad you plum
You do realise you said plum twice in that sentence.

Just saying, like.

SkyblueBazza

What you mean he threw it better than Martinez did?

Users who are viewing this thread