Things that annoy you (10 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

14 year olds who start their first day at a new school and instead of getting THE 16.33 as instructed, just get any 16.33 and end up in Leicester!!

Grrrr!!

One of her friends also got lost in New Street station, completely puzzled as to why it wasn't London Euston!

What are they teaching them at school these days?

Two days ago, my daughter was talking about the Editors song 'Munich' and asked me what a Munich was.

Geography's her favourite academic subject, but she doesn't know where anywhere is.

To be fair I still get a bit lost in the revamped New Street now and I commuted to Brum for 5 years! If she expected it to look exactly like Euston then yeah that's a bit silly (though post-war theatres were all laid out the same to make it easier for performers on tour to know where everything was, so I guess it wouldn't seem totally ridiculous for all stations to be laid out the same to help travellers)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just reading on a local Facebook group (so I will use the phrase allegedly) an incident outside a secondary school (my old school) in which a massive fight broke out and a woman (who says she’s a mother not sure if her kids were involved or not) tried to intervene but was knocked to the ground kicked then confronted with a kid with a knife, genuinely worrying if this the next ‘must have’ ‘gadget’ of youngsters!

Terry Gibson's perm

BRITAIN annoys the crap outta me!
I spent last week driving around Holland and Belgium, and made a few observations.
1) European people are so much more polite, on the whole.
2) Europe is MUCH cleaner than the UK. The motorway verges in Holland are spotless.
3) Civic pride. Every village I drove through was very well maintained. All grass verges mowed, and generally well maintained.
4) Driving. Europeans to roadworks in 1-2 mile stretches and actually have people working on them. In Britain, we close 15 miles of lanes off, and there are 2 people working.
5) Health and safety. In Britain we seem to implement every European regulation to its fullest extent, which either makes life difficult, or sucks the fun out of everything. In Europe they are a lot more relaxed. For example,.in Centre Parcs UK, there is some twat blowing a whistle at you every 2 minutes, if you so much as look like you might go down a water slide in an 'unauthorised' position. In Europe, they just let you get on with it. If you want to go down 5 at a time, feel free.

Can't help feeling that if Britain ran itself more like the rest of Europe, the Brexit debate wouldn't happen.

Roadworks drive me crazy I will be working in leyland for a few days and will finish at 1am on Saturday morning but will have to stop in a hotel and drive back in the morning as the ridiculous amount of roadworks mean I won’t get home until just before 5am. Virtually the whole motorway is 50mph at best no work being done just cones

Westendlad

Roadworks drive me crazy I will be working in leyland for a few days and will finish at 1am on Saturday morning but will have to stop in a hotel and drive back in the morning as the ridiculous amount of roadworks mean I won’t get home until just before 5am. Virtually the whole motorway is 50mph at best no work being done just cones
I'd skip the hotel and make it home before 4am :) Its all for the new 'Smart' motorway thingy.........Basically average speed cameras so all motorways will be limited at 60mph very soon.

Terry Gibson's perm

I'd skip the hotel and make it home before 4am :) Its all for the new 'Smart' motorway thingy.........Basically average speed cameras so all motorways will be limited at 60mph very soon.

I have made the journey three times recently and if I keep trying I will fall asleep as I do two shifts before I drive back and am shattered.

Nick

Administrator

Pisses me off when nobody is working.

I got 3 points on my license a few years ago for doing 70 in a 50 on the M6 at 2am when all 3 lanes were open as normal and nobody was working but they had roadworks signs up. What's the point?

wingy

Waiting to get back through passport checks for about 4 hours or the dodgy drop off thing where you have to kick people out and go before you have to take out a mortgage?
You got it Nick
Red lines everywhere
No where to just pul in for ten minutes or so until you get a text or call that they're through
I'm expecting a fine as I didn't see the signs and it took 40-50 minutes for my daughter to get through
Had a similar situation at Wickes last week as they reckoned I'd overstayed their 90 minute limit by just over half an hour
Sorted it as I had a £100+ receipt
But it's the time and inconvenience and downright disproportionality of it all
Grrr I definitely am developing authority issues ,abuse of power ,downright unjust examples of rinsing Joe Public etc !!

Nick

Administrator
You got it Nick
Red lines everywhere
No where to just pul in for ten minutes or so until you get a text or call that they're through
I'm expecting a fine as I didn't see the signs and it took 40-50 minutes for my daughter to get through
Had a similar situation at Wickes last week as they reckoned I'd overstayed their 90 minute limit by just over half an hour
Sorted it as I had a £100+ receipt
But it's the time and inconvenience and downright disproportionality of it all
Grrr I definitely am developing authority issues ,abuse of power ,downright unjust examples of rinsing Joe Public etc !!

I ended up parking up in a layby round the corner on an industrial estate and waiting, then got bored so did laps round the roads without going in then parked up again to wait until I got the call.

To go into the pickup / dropoff bit and wait for an hour is stupid money.

wingy

I ended up parking up in a layby round the corner on an industrial estate and waiting, then got bored so did laps round the roads without going in then parked up again to wait until I got the call.

To go into the pickup / dropoff bit and wait for an hour is stupid money.
Snap
It's just a rediculous situation.

Nick

Administrator
Snap
It's just a rediculous situation.

All about money though.

If you are dropping somebody off you can't really say bye properly as you are clock watching to get the car out of there ASAP.

It's a nightmare if there are delays as well, literally just park up in an industrial estate where you can find a space and there's loads of others / taxis doing the same.

Mcbean

FUCKIN CYCLISTS - should be banned from the roads 6am to 12 am - old boy on a bicycle today makes a meal of a corner on a country lane so i give him a wide birth - coming towards me is a lycra lizard who is shaking his head at my move - he was'nt even looking as i had clocked him coming towards me - another car could have still got through the gap WANKER with Sky lycra - they are FUCKIN ROAD NUISANCE

fernandopartridge

FUCKIN CYCLISTS - should be banned from the roads 6am to 12 am - old boy on a bicycle today makes a meal of a corner on a country lane so i give him a wide birth - coming towards me is a lycra lizard who is shaking his head at my move - he was'nt even looking as i had clocked him coming towards me - another car could have still got through the gap WANKER with Sky lycra - they are FUCKIN ROAD NUISANCE
They're as entitled to be on the road as you are. Not all cyclists are dickheads in the same way as not all motorists are.

Mcbean

True and it was a sweary beer post - apologies to responsible riders - but it was not the first time they were unreasonable with their behaviour this weekend and they created danger for others by being selfish - i see this more and more sadly out where we live the Cotswolds

tommydazzle

Reference codes: these are getting ridiculous. I had a 19 digit fault reference code the other week from BT which was a mixture of numbers and letters. I reckon this combination could probably account for all the atoms in the universe! I know BT have a lot of faults to reference but this is insane.

torchomatic

Owen Jones.

fernandopartridge

In light of the recent Aimee Challenor story, something that I previously found just laughable I now find rather disturbing, and that's the concept of gender self-ID.

It's something that Owen Jones, for example, supports.

NorthernWisdom

In light of the recent Aimee Challenor story, something that I previously found just laughable I now find rather disturbing, and that's the concept of gender self-ID.

This probably deserves its own topic, and longer than a lunch hour ;)

So as a declared position, this is where I feel old and out of touch, in that I genuinely don't understand, and it baffles me. It's come up a bit in social situations for me recently, and has had me thinking beyond my initial reaction of wtf.

Some points I'd bear in mind.
  • Gender is not sex. Your sex is biologically defined. Gender is a social construct.
  • Bad people will appropriate concepts and manipulate them, to the detriment of good people... whatever those concepts are.

So, philosophically, I have no problem with people feeling feminine, female, masculine, male... feeling whatever, and identifying with a gender, both genders, or no genders.

However...

A no limits approach is fraught with contradiction. Should I be able to stand for an all-women shortlist if I declare myself as female? That would be ludicrous to most people. It's something that does end up as an absurd possibility atm, however.

A blunt simplistic example... In a general sense, I find it bizarre if it's one toilet only in a place, that they aren't unisex. I don't see why they have to be split into one for men and one for women. I do, however, think it would be rather weird to march into a women's changing rooms.

And ultimately, I'm simplifying something I don't understand. I can't begin to appreciate not feeling male, however that's defined!

If somebody defines themselves as neither male nor female, aren't they just creating something to draw attention? There's something rather self-centred in saying the world should change for what you want... whatever that is.

But again... I don't understand, ultimately!

I think it boils down to the general fact that people can live their life how they want, unless it causes issues for other people (beyond the snowflake righty I'm offended you're not Aryan approach). As soon as it causes issues, boundaries have to be put in place.

Nick

Administrator

It's an insult really when blokes grow their hair and they suddenly think they are a woman and should be able to go and get changed in a women's changing room or go to a women's prison.

tenor.gif

Nick

Administrator
How about the other way, where women end up with a beard?

Still not a bloke if they have just grown a beard and taken a few tablets. It's the same as when they come out with the "man having a baby" type stories. It's not a man, it's a woman with a beard that still has a womb.

NorthernWisdom

Still not a bloke if they have just grown a beard and taken a few tablets. It's the same as when they come out with the "man having a baby" type stories. It's not a man, it's a woman with a beard that still has a womb.
How about if it's not tablets, they just have an artificial beard because they identify as masculine, but they have no desire to be a man and would be mortified at the thought of being called a bloke?

Nick

Administrator
How about if it's not tablets, they just have an artificial beard because they identify as masculine, but they have no desire to be a man and would be mortified at the thought of being called a bloke?

Oh, so they have just got a fake beard but they want to be a woman but be masculine?

Whatever floats their boat I guess. Always think most of it is attention seeking.

"How dare this nasty man think I am a man because I have put on a fake beard, why cant I be a strong woman with a beard and not be labelled" type thing?

torchomatic

Gazolba

If you think Europe is friendlier, you clearly have never been to France. ;)

Friendly when you actually get to know them, but at first they can be very rude.
I found them to be friendly if you speak to them in French.
And it has to be French with a good accent.

Gazolba

When you just watched a program on TV and you really want to see who played a certain part and they put the credits on at such a fast speed, you can't read anything.

Otis

A friend of my daughter has now said that she wants to be known as a he instead of a she. It's all quite confusing.

She......sorry, HE, wants to become a boy and have surgery when she.....sorry, HE is older. I don't have any problem with that, but do have a problem with her....sorry, HIM saying she...sorry, HE wants to be referred to as a boy not a girl. It's all very confusing.

She.....HE now wants to be known as Evan instead of Evie.

My stance is that I am happy to call her HIM after the surgery, but before is just confusing. I get stuff like my daughter saying 'he wants to be a boy' and 'He doesn't consider himself to be a girl'.

What???!!??

Captain Dart

Users who are viewing this thread