Things you remember from back in the day? (1 Viewer)

Sumo the Micky Quinn

Those little furry snake things with wire that you ran between your fingers to pretend they were real

I worked for the company in Nuneaton which packaged them, I was their rep.

They were mainly sold in seaside resorts with a TV & Video sales promotion "Watch out, Watch Out theirs a wigglee about!"

Last edited:

ccfc92

Collecting cigarette cards. Used to get them in tea too.
Free gifts in breakfast cereal boxes.
Boys playing marbles and girls playing hopscotch or skipping rope.
Do kids still play conkers?

Banned in most schools due to health and safety I believe :rolleyes:

skybluedan

CCk5GK9W8AAt1qG.jpg

These

skybluedan

Remember someone saying they used to dig up bottles when they were a kid back in the day, thank fuck I was part of the PlayStation generation

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
When I was little, we played in the bombed out houses at the top of Gulson road, opposite the hospital where I was born. If that was nowadays, our parents would be arrested!
Another Gulson Rd Hospital Baby! Snap! :happy:

eastwoodsdustman

People outside football matches with signs saying 'The end of the world is nigh' and the like. Always used to see them and they've all but disappeared these days.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
People outside football matches with signs saying 'The end of the world is nigh' and the like. Always used to see them and they've all but disappeared these days.
They've disappeared because they've all realised they were wrong! :emoji_laughing:

Gazolba

Anyone remember the guy in Broadgate with the huge balloon? He carried around this huge balloon and was selling uninflated ones. My father bought one once but of course none of the balloons he sold blew up to anywhere near the huge one he carried. One of the earliest scams I remember.

Gazolba

Another bygone thing ... bus conductors. They had this ticket contraption on a leather strap around their neck and would wind a little handle to eject a paper ticket. A well-worn leather pouch held the change. Then I think on some more advanced ticket machines, the conductor just had to press some buttons to eject a ticket.
Then they eliminated the conductors entirely and 'pay as you enter' arrived, first they would give you change but later it became 'exact fare only'.

eastwoodsdustman

Another bygone thing ... bus conductors. They had this ticket contraption on a leather strap around their neck and would wind a little handle to eject a paper ticket. A well-worn leather pouch held the change. Then I think on some more advanced ticket machines, the conductor just had to press some buttons to eject a ticket.
Then they eliminated the conductors entirely and 'pay as you enter' arrived, first they would give you change but later it became 'exact fare only'.

As kids we used to pull the tickets out of the machine really hard as it printed to see who could get the longest one before it cut the ticket off.

eastwoodsdustman

Another pool meadow favourite - Sailor sam.
He used to scare me whenever I saw him. Always wore with sailors suit or Army gear.

wingy

As kids we used to pull the tickets out of the machine really hard as it printed to see who could get the longest one before it cut the ticket off.
We used to have a guy with a metal hand out in the sticks.
Can't recall his name.
Might have been Frank.

skybluejelly

Fish paste ...for some reason I thought I remembered it as nice in the 70's ..well I seen some in the supermarket today ..come home made 2 sandwiches .. Took 2 bites ( was convinced it couldn't taste that bad after one bite)and it went straight in the bin...bloody disgusting ...I must have been really hungry in the 70's

wingy

Fish paste ...for some reason I thought I remembered it as nice in the 70's ..well I seen some in the supermarket today ..come home made 2 sandwiches .. Took 2 bites ( was convinced it couldn't taste that bad after one bite)and it went straight in the bin...bloody disgusting ...I must have been really hungry in the 70's
Just your palette changes with age.

torchomatic

Mojos. A mint chewy sweet that cost 5 for 1/2p at the local VG.

Corona bottles where you could get 2p and then eventually 5p when you took them into an off licence.

Pretend tobacco pouches that contained sweets. Sweet cigarettes with a red end. None of this "candy stick" nonsense.

Screwballs and Lord Toffinghams.

Horlicks tablets.

torchomatic

I can't see the pictures on the hossy wifi. Bugger. Then again i would only crave them.

Users who are viewing this thread