This winters Cricket thread (1 Viewer)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Don’t mind Bairstow being given a go at 3 but if he succeeds what happens in the WIndies in Jan? Guess they go back to one spinner. The decks over their have been spin friendly in recent years.

Would have given Stone a run out over Broad nothing to be gained by him playing!

tisza

Don’t mind Bairstow being given a go at 3 but if he succeeds what happens in the WIndies in Jan? Guess they go back to one spinner. The decks over their have been spin friendly in recent years.

Would have given Stone a run out over Broad nothing to be gained by him playing!
Time to build a squad.
Been brave enough to pick a side for Sri Lankan conditions which meant dropping a senior fast bowler. England of old would have tried to push Root as the 3rd spinner and played another quick or extra batsman.
Now carry it through and continue to pick best XI for each game not same XI.
West Indies series still going to need spinners but also an extra front line quick. So probably one of Rashid or Leach will have to make way. Doesn't devalue them as players just reflects different conditions.
Other team sports pick for the conditions and the opposition - cricket far more reluctant to.
Jennings a good example - can make a shed load of runs in these overseas tours but if he can't find early runs in English conditions next summer then drop him before the series begins not halfway through it.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Agree on the horses for courses approach. Like I do hope they do keep the form guys in ie Foakes & Curran being 2 unexpected players 12 months ago if that means leaving Broad & Bairstow out for a ‘big’ series then so be it.

Looking ahead to the ashes I’d be stunned if Jennings was to Ave over 20 with the bat with his technique v pace!

tisza

"Looking ahead to the ashes I’d be stunned if Jennings was to Ave over 20 with the bat with his technique v pace!"

If it gets to the stage where he has an average in the Ashes then the system is broken :)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

"Looking ahead to the ashes I’d be stunned if Jennings was to Ave over 20 with the bat with his technique v pace!"

If it gets to the stage where he has an average in the Ashes then the system is broken :)

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him open in the first test.

It’ll take somebody to have a flying start in the CC.

I see the Lions failed to defend 313 v Pakistan A in a 4 dayer in the UAE.

Wood still floating around the set up is a worry arguably one of the most overrated players I’ve seen in an England shirt in the past decade. If he finds form there will he jump above Stone again in the pecking order? Once the test start they should send Stone over there like they did with Pope!

tisza

Gotta love it. What building a squad rather than a team is all about.
YJB back in and scores a century. Think he was extra motivated to prove a point? :)
Reckon others are now thinking they've got to perform to keep their place rather than think "it's my place until I get injured or something".
If we could just find a quick to force Broad into upping his consistency then you've got a side that can be number 1 again. (even allowing for opening issues)

Gazolba

England's women beat India to reach the Women's World T20 final.
You can find highlights on Youtube.
They will play (surprise, surprise) Australia in the final.
The final is on at midnight Saturday (UK time).
I really enjoy watching women's cricket, the skill level is amazing.

Otis

Yeah. Nice comeback too, though I am a bit irked with 5Live's cricket correspondent. Not sure if it was Jonathan Agnew or Simon Mann.

Yesterday they went to the cricket in the sports bulletin and the report was all but this.....

England were on something like 270-5 or 6 at the time.

'The pitch looked like it was going to be the best of the series on first inspection, but it has definitely deteriorated as the day was worn on. If England can get to 350 that will be a very good score on this wicket'.

This morning, same commentator was really, really critical of England and said that 336 was nothing like good enough and that their performance was poor and that they should have at least reached 400'.

giphy.gif

oucho

I read that this is the worse collapse of any team vs England when the oppo have been 1 wicket down for 150. To win this series is a fine result however we must remember Sri Lanka are not a strong side; they looked poor when we beat them at home in 2016 but that was in England in May/June when you'd expect them to struggle. I do not remember us dominating them like this in their back yard - even when we did win in 2001 under Nasser it was very hard fought.

Otis

Yep. Dominated the whole series pretty much.

Should win from here now.

Even if we get out now for 160 that's a 250 lead.

chiefdave

Not a great start from England Women. 41-3 with our 2 best batters out cheaply. Just as well the Aussies dropped 2 catches otherwise this would already be game over.

Terry Gibson's perm

I was thinking the other day maybe this is a brilliant plan by england as Broad only bothers performing once a series to keep his place just play him once, it also must be nice for Root being allowed to captain the side when broadband Anderson are broken up as they are forever changing things without going through him.

Waste of a winter for Stone and Woakes May as well have put their feet up at home instead of in Sri Lanka

Gazolba

It's so annoying that the BBC won't even allow people outside the UK so see clips of the women's matches.
I don't know what they are protecting because they can be found on Youtube a day or two later, but it would be nice to see the clips as I'm reading the review of the day's play.

Gazolba

Women's T20 final highlights (Australia vs England):

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

It's so annoying that the BBC won't even allow people outside the UK so see clips of the women's matches.
I don't know what they are protecting because they can be found on Youtube a day or two later, but it would be nice to see the clips as I'm reading the review of the day's play.

They’re not showing any clips to the SL series even in the UK, guessing they lost that too as talksport have the radio broadcasting rights.

Gazolba

Great 3-0 victory over Sri Lanka. But they made a good go of it in their 2nd innings.
No wickets fort Broad, just one catch.
Slightly worrying that Rashid took 5 wickets in their 1st innings but none in their 2nd. Is he that easy to figure out?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Great 3-0 victory over Sri Lanka. But they made a good go of it in their 2nd innings.
No wickets fort Broad, just one catch.
Slightly worrying that Rashid took 5 wickets in their 1st innings but none in their 2nd. Is he that easy to figure out?

He’s just a average international leg spinner, similar to Imran Tahir decent with the white ball below average with the red.
Yasir Shah is a good red ball leg spinner but nothing out of this world (took 8-41 mind)

Shows how amazing Shane Warne really was, so consistent in all conditions.

Covstu

All areas looking strong and nice to win on away soil. The summer should be interesting to see how we fare but very optimistic.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Massive summer, I expect England to end it World Cup winners & Ashes winners, no excuses not to.
I think they will do it but wouldn’t be surprised for them to cruise the 9 game World Cup group stage and have an off day in the knock outs like the champions trophy....

They need to accept they’re favourites for both and win both! If this was Australia roles reversed they’d win both no bother, they need to get that confidence and arrogance of we will win!

scottccfc

Massive summer, I expect England to end it World Cup winners & Ashes winners, no excuses not to.
I think they will do it but wouldn’t be surprised for them to cruise the 9 game World Cup group stage and have an off day in the knock outs like the champions trophy....

They need to accept they’re favourites for both and win both! If this was Australia roles reversed they’d win both no bother, they need to get that confidence and arrogance of we will win!
and I think the arrogance is back after the sri lanka whitewash, looking like a good time to be an English cricket fan

chiefdave

They’ve changed the eligibility criteria from 7 years to 3 year for those that come over at a young age!
Not sure about this. If another country had changed the rules in similar style to allow them to pick one of the best white balls cricketers just ahead of a World Cup I don't think we'd look favourably upon them.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Not sure about this. If another country had changed the rules in similar style to allow them to pick one of the best white balls cricketers just ahead of a World Cup I don't think we'd look favourably upon them.

It appears the ICC changed the rules so the ECB have followed so it was the ECB’s own rules holding the situation up.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

No surprises in WIndies squad.
Denley keeping Pope out because of spin option and Foakes looking good to hold place in side

As expected, shame they’ll prob have Stone carrying the drinks for the Tests and they’ve dropped him from the ODI squad!

Users who are viewing this thread